SRH840 impression
Jan 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #1,531 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
840s are more laid back, wider soundstage, vocal not as pronounced, overall more detailed, deeper and cleaner bass. The 440 is lively and fun with a distinctive pronounced vocal and mid/high range, while the 840 is laid back, directional and soothing.

dL

They sound great, cant wait to get them.

Jan 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #1,532 of 2,135
I just ordered a pair from Northern Sound and Light for $134 shipped. Order is currently back-ordered with expected stock to be replenished in about two weeks. Came with a free t-shirt also when I ordered over the phone.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #1,533 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn these are getting me tempted even if I really don't need them. Just bought some ALO-780 and awaiting their arrival. Supposed to be saving for some Grado HF-2 but I really want to compare the ALO-780 to some Shure SRH840 recabled and see which I prefer with the genre I listen to: metal. The HF-2 will be THE headphone for metal that I will ever own I think but having another headphone always comes in handy
biggrin.gif
So who can have a guess which will be better for metal? SRH840 or ALO-780?? I like upfront sound but less so than Grado SR-225, drums to hit hard and with great clarity and detail, a warm sound signature, smooth mids and a bit of bass but not overpowering the rest of the spectrum. The high's on the SR-225 I can handle, they seem great to me, maybe a TAD too much though.

They may be a bit too laid back for metal. I even think they're a bit too laid back for rock in general.

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #1,534 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep them for a few days,don't hurry to return them back.

At first,i also wanted to return them because of the comfort and of the size,but i'm glad i didn't do that.Now i'm enjoying them,the sound quality is very good and they are more comfortable now.

I've burned them in for about 50 hours and still don't find them to be very special. In particular I'm not fan of their high frequency reproduction. It comes across as sounding compressed and congested to my ears. Maybe I just prefer more colored headphones, but I find both my Grado SR225i and Denon AH-D5000 far more enjoyable than the Shures. They're just not my cup of tea.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #1,535 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered a pair from Northern Sound and Light for $134 shipped. Order is currently back-ordered with expected stock to be replenished in about two weeks. Came with a free t-shirt also when I ordered over the phone.

Wow, I ordered on Monday and they told me they would be getting them in by Friday! Well worth the wait though!

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #1,537 of 2,135
Enjoy them...I particularly like the mids. I like listening to many types of music with them. I find them very versatile.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #1,538 of 2,135
I have about 50-60 hours on these- please tell me the upper bass, sloppy sound goes away?
Mark Knopfler sounds totally congested/too thick. Bass light recordings sound fine but anything with solid bass in it is not listenable at the moment.

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #1,539 of 2,135
Glad I got the ALO-780 after reading your bass impression. Well, you can't expect perfection from the Shure SRH840 for the price but I'd imagine that issue would go away after 150 hours. I always burn in everything for at least 150 if not 200 hours before listening to them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #1,541 of 2,135
I'm going to get off head-fi now, i seem to be a nuisance and not helping anyone.

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #1,543 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 50-60 hours on these- please tell me the upper bass, sloppy sound goes away?
Mark Knopfler sounds totally congested/too thick. Bass light recordings sound fine but anything with solid bass in it is not listenable at the moment.

It might be inaccurate to say it completely goes away but I thought the same thing when I first listened, and it's vastly more controlled now. It took about 2 weeks of continuous burn-in and I used some extremely punishing electronica CDs to drive all frequencies at ear-bleeding volume.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #1,544 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm listening to Dire Straits right now,and the mid-bass/bass is fine.But when i was listening the same song a few days ago,it sounded a bit bass heavy.But this happened only one time,so I guess it's just the positioning on the head,try to experiment with this.

I find the bass to be ok,maybe just a little bit less would be more to my liking,but it's not a problem for me at all.

Actually i really like them right now,they are good enough for my needs.

They also have good imaging,the position of the instruments,vocals etc is precise.And the sound is smooth and a bit warm,just like the way i like it.Nice and natural.

Fortunatelly,the comfort improved and i don't have any problem with that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back