SRH840 impression
Aug 7, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #541 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was just about to comment this same thing. I haven't quite made my mind up on these yet, since how I feel depends so much on the music genre.

For metal these are just such a complete let down after Grados/Alessandros. They just kill the distorted guitars and make the songs sound a bit congested.
frown.gif

But then once you switch it to f.ex. something with a bit more electric sound it's completely different story. They have such a full sound and tight bass that it really makes you feel good. You don't have to move any further away from metal than Nine Inch Nails to realize that there is something to these.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I guess I'll keep these, but no way are these replacing my Alessandros either.

By the way, I listen these from D2, but with only limited burn in so far so there's still hope.
wink.gif

I have to agree. I have about 48 hours of burn-in. And I'm using it with a C&C XO amp. For other genres is pretty decent, and the bass is nice. But for rock/metal/alternative, I don't enjoy it as much as my Grado 325is's. There's going to be a slight congestion just b/c they are closed phones. I hope this changes with more burn-in as well. But I still enjoy these headphones, and they're keepers in my book, simply to counteract that Grado sound that can sometimes be lacking bass on certain tracks.

I'm thinking about getting the GR8.

Aug 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #542 of 2,135
I've burned them in for about 120 hours and they are still the same for rock/metal. Not the best for that genre in my opinion. I thought it was just my recordings since they sounded great for jazz r&b and all others.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #543 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was just about to comment this same thing. I haven't quite made my mind up on these yet, since how I feel depends so much on the music genre.

For metal these are just such a complete let down after Grados/Alessandros. They just kill the distorted guitars and make the songs sound a bit congested.
frown.gif

But then once you switch it to f.ex. something with a bit more electric sound it's completely different story. They have such a full sound and tight bass that it really makes you feel good. You don't have to move any further away from metal than Nine Inch Nails to realize that there is something to these.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I guess I'll keep these, but no way are these replacing my Alessandros either.

By the way, I listen these from D2, but with only limited burn in so far so there's still hope.
wink.gif

Seems us finns hear somewhat ear to ear
smily_headphones1.gif

... Except I don't listen to metal :/

Also, after several hours of burn-in they've now gone through, I still think they're somewhat accentuated in the bass section. Anyone else feel this?
Hugely depends on the track, but despite the bass being articulate and snappy, it can sometimes be a bit boomy.. Hmm?

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #544 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems us finns hear somewhat ear to ear
smily_headphones1.gif

... Except I don't listen to metal :/

Also, after several hours of burn-in they've now gone through, I still think they're somewhat accentuated in the bass section. Anyone else feel this?
Hugely depends on the track, but despite the bass being articulate and snappy, it can sometimes be a bit boomy.. Hmm?

I thought that the only thing Finns listened to was metal!
wink.gif
Kidding, but lots of interesting black metal from those parts, I've heard. Just got my pair of SRH-840's from ABathingApe's big score and they are quite good. First set of closed cans in a long while--the last pair was a sloppy, lifeless set of Sony DJ monitors--and they are very open sounding. Mind you, I have only clocked 1 hr so far, so much better impressions to follow in a week or so. The only thing that bothers me a bit is how the top of the headband only touches the top of my head in the very middle. Tried to bend them somewhat to improve comfort and their memory is too strong to make an adjustment similar to my Grados. I did get a lot of plastic crunching noises that made me feel that I broke them right after opening the package. Looks like its just some sort of thin plastic support that maintains their shape near where they connect to the plastic. Nothing to worry about, I assume? Looking forward to loving these cans!
L3000.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #545 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that the only thing Finns listened to was metal!
wink.gif
Kidding, but lots of interesting black metal from those parts, I've heard. Just got my pair of SRH-840's from ABathingApe's big score and they are quite good. First set of closed cans in a long while--the last pair was a sloppy, lifeless set of Sony DJ monitors--and they are very open sounding. Mind you, I have only clocked 1 hr so far, so much better impressions to follow in a week or so. The only thing that bothers me a bit is how the top of the headband only touches the top of my head in the very middle. Tried to bend them somewhat to improve comfort and their memory is too strong to make an adjustment similar to my Grados. I did get a lot of plastic crunching noises that made me feel that I broke them right after opening the package. Looks like its just some sort of thin plastic support that maintains their shape near where they connect to the plastic. Nothing to worry about, I assume? Looking forward to loving these cans!
L3000.gif

The one design change I would have liked to see would be more defined notches. I agree with you that it's kind of strange that it only touches the top of the skull. But keep in mind that the band needs to keep it's shape as it helps protect the phones when folded. Also, I have been folding these things without removing the cable, which doesn't work very nicely. But once you disconnect the cable it's like a hot knife through butter :p

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #546 of 2,135
Yeah... I noticed the notch issue too, but not a big deal at all. Just listening to Bomb the Bass's "Bug Powder Dust (Kruder & Dorfmeister Remix)" Simply transcendent! Track this tune down. I love how the bass reads on this remix. Great mid's and treble too.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #547 of 2,135
Just got my pair today and I am pretty pleased with them. The build quality seems good for the price point. Comfort is also good. I am using these with a Gilmore Dynamic amp. I listened to a couple of CDs right out of the box (BRMC Baby 81 and Radiohead In Rainbows), and liked what I heard compared to what I recall of my AKG K271s that I use at work and the K601s at home. I personally think these are fine for rock and don't desire the more closed in immediacy of Grados (at least my SR60s). I'll have to try these out on some classical and acoustic material, but so far they are keepers, especially at the price.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #548 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadteez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, is the k701 worth buying if i plan on plugging it straight to my ipod touch? Because if not, I would buy the SRH840. Unless it still sounds better than the shures.

when I tested the 840 straight out of an ipod touch, it sounded terrible. you will get sound, but it wont be supported. the two lower models did much better. If your going straight out of a portable source, I'd go the middle model, with the ear pad upgrade. it will give you better sound then the 840 unamped.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #549 of 2,135
My only worry about the build is those external wires - I'm actually traveling with these and taking them to work - they're getting folded up and unfolded pretty frequently - and I'm worried this might over time put damaging strain on them. We'll see!

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #551 of 2,135
I just received mine today. First impressions, with a comparison to my HFi-780.

- Answering my own question on pads. No, they don't seem to fit well. The pads on the Shure are bigger. I made myself a little adaptor using cardboard. No word on whether it changes the sound at all though.
- These things are HUGE. They are about as big as a Beyerdynamic Dt770/80. They also seem just as durable. The forks are thick, and joints are really strong. I can see these headphones lasting a long time.
- The coiled nature of the cord doesn't really bother me. But the cord itself does. It has this rubbery, sticky feel right out of the box. I'm not sure if it will change, but just something I noted.
- They are really comfortable. As said before, the pads are bigger than the Ultrasone. The pads are also really soft too, which is good. The headband is excellent. 100 times better than the Ultrasone pads. I also like them better than the Beyerdynamic pads.

On to sound:
- First thing I notice, is more soundstage than my Beyers and Ultrasone. Its wider and deeper than both. The separation isn't quite as good as my Ultrasones, but those have 1000+ hours on them.
- Bass is tighter and more accurate than Ultrasone, but less in quantity. Same with the Beyerdynamics.
- Mids are not recessed in my opinion. They are actually really nice. Just for comparisons sake, my Yamaha Orthodynamics have some of the most smooth, lush mids I've ever heard. The Shure gives a presentation not unlike that.
- Highs are really nice too. The Ultrasone, even after burn in, sometimes have stringent, harsh highs that make some songs unlistenable to. The Shures have none of that. The highs are just right.

Comfort: Shure=Beyer>Ultrasone
Soundstage: Shure>Ultrasone>Beyerdynamic (This is debatable.)
Overall Bass: Shure>Ultrasone>Beyerynamic
Mids: Shure>Ultrasone>Beyerdynamic
Highs: Shure>Beyerdynamic>Ultrasone

The Shures are a definite winner in my opinion. I think I'm done with Mid-fi for now. These are just my initial impressions.

Edit: I haven't really gotten into detail ability yet. I think my Ultrasones were more detailed in all areas minus bass. The bass on the Shures are really clean and tight.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #553 of 2,135
Listened to the Firebird (Boulez/CSO) tonight on these. Seems to be a bit of a mid-bass hump; but otherwise sounded quite good. Possible slight steeliness in the upper midrange (strings), but minor. I'm not sure if I'm much of a believer in burn-in, but we'll see. It would be nice if both of these went away, but they are still keepers.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #555 of 2,135
Thanks, iseedeadpeople. I realized after my post that a simple Google search was all I needed to answer my question.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back