SRH840 impression
Aug 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #451 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincethedevil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab can you please make a comparison vs the PXC 350

thx

The PXC350 have to be compared in 2 ways - one with the NC circuit on, and one off. With the NC circuit off, the 350's have a LOT of bass - much more than either the SRH840, or the 350's with the NC on. With the NC off, the 840's sound better - more balanced, and better detailed, with more transparency.

With the NC on, it is very close. I think I slightly prefer the sound of the Shure, but it's very slight - the 350's sound very good with the NC on. The two cans, when compared this way, actually sound pretty close, with the Shure having just a little more punch, and the Senn having just a little smoother sound.

While the 840's isolate well, it's not enough for airplane use. So I'll be keeping both.

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #453 of 2,135
I'm in Hong Kong this week and I've been looking at getting the Shanling PH100 to go with these headphones.. do you guys think its a good idea? I prefer a more warm sound with my music and I think this amp + 840's should sound well together.

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #454 of 2,135
I've had my SRH840 burning away for a couple of days now, today is the first time I have had any real listening time with them.

First off I would like to say well done to shure for making a pair of headphones that actually fit my head without hurting, these cans are so comfy, and for me that is so important.

These headphones give me a great sense of space and there isn't one part of the spectrum that I don't like, shure you have produced a cracking set of cans here, when im listening to these they give me a warm glow inside.

They remind me of my old AKG 601's only better in every way.

Im not great at describing headphones but shure you really are on to a winner here.

I paid £139 for them here in the UK and at that price they are a real bargain.

Top marks!!

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #458 of 2,135
ORDERED!!! from the impressions here they sound very promising indeed. Having owned the dt770pros for some time, I hope the shures deliver foward mids and less bloated bass than the beyers... but do they have the treble sparkle I do like, espesially for electronic music, anyway I will post many pics and comparrison when they arrive. Any views driving these with solid state vs tube amp?

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #461 of 2,135
Have you broken them in yet? Keep in mind they are closed cans. You're not going to get the same soundstage as an open can (and the guy sitting next to you won't be hearing what you're listening to as well) but these are pretty decent for what it is.

I am really enjoying these. I've owned the 580s and the 600s which are both amazing as well, but the srh840 do not disappoint.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #462 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ORDERED!!! from the impressions here they sound very promising indeed. Having owned the dt770pros for some time, I hope the shures deliver foward mids and less bloated bass than the beyers... but do they have the treble sparkle I do like, espesially for electronic music, anyway I will post many pics and comparrison when they arrive. Any views driving these with solid state vs tube amp?

I also enjoy trance, and these are nice for that. In my opinion though, they are best for jazz.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #463 of 2,135
Dang, the 840's have been at the "local FedEx facility" in Houston since 7:30am on Saturday (Aug 3) but are still not "out for delivery!" Seriously, could they not get them out today?

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #464 of 2,135
Just placed my order at JR Music for $129.99 w/ free shipping and no tax (they price matched RMC audio).

Can't wait to hear them after all I've read
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm actually not fully satisfied with my HD580's (i think I prefer the sound of a closed-can) so hopefully these will hit the spot.

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #465 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks so much for your review. Glad to see you're enjoying your new headphones.

You mention having driven these out of an ipod, a laptop, and a third, more substantial setup. What does that setup consist of, if you don't mind my asking? Just wanted to see if you had a dedicated HP amp.

I mentioned an "incredible setup," kind of grouping two together. The first was in my dedicated music computer, which has the top of the line Creative X-Fi with a sound blocker (I forget the name but it functions to further remove computer sounds like motherboard and PCI interference, and play the pure audio) using 24-bit lossless recordings, and the second was in a Guitar Center where I actually brought these headphones and tried them out in the recording studio section (which naturally sounded better than the computer, but not by much).

That's the great thing about these headphones, though: despite the method of driving them, they sound great. So even with an iPod, though you need to raise the volume a bit more, it still sounds very good. I don't own an amp, but am considering buying one, as well as a FireWire sound card for my laptop, and I'm sure these will sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back