SRH840 impression
Jul 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #301 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab, any comparisons with the denons by chance? Even a quick glimpse would be helpful. D5000/d7000 in particular.

Very tough, since I sold my D5000 quite a while back, and I only heard the D7000 briefly. But I don't think the Shures, as good as they are, are in the same league as the D5000, which offers a more nuanced sound. The Shure is more laid back in the treble, IIRC.

One thing is certain - the Shure's isolate quite well, and the Denon, very very little, for what that's worth.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #302 of 2,135
Has anyone compared these to the Senn 580s (or any of the senn's for that matter)? I'm thinking of selling off the 580s and giving these a go. I'm not the type to keep too many cans laying around so if this one is coming in, i have to let one go. I enjoy the rich sound of the Senn but willing to try something different.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #303 of 2,135
From what I've ready so far, the general consensus seems to be that these headphones are pretty comfortable, although I think there were two people earlier in the thread saying that they were not that great. I was wondering if there was anyone here with a big head (my hat size is 7 5/8) who's already received theirs that can comment on the comfort and clamping force? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #304 of 2,135

Click on them of course to make 'em larger.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #305 of 2,135
Wow, read 3 pages back now that I got the chance
smily_headphones1.gif

Very controversial impressions here. Not with K_19 though, since we tend to come from completely different families. (SR325i/AD2000 vs 701/HD650)
smily_headphones1.gif
But still I'm amazed that you found the mids forward since I thought they were close to sounding more like in HD650s.. Someone also pointed out that the bass was thin out of the box, strange :/ I heard/FELT the complete opposite
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the second cans so far I've almost started hating when listening straight out of the box, first ones being AD2000s. And it's not that I've gotten used to the signatures, but it's just that they sounded so much better after that burn-in. I must apologize to anyone for making rapid impressions in such an accentuated manner, these sound pretty good now. ... Still not happy with saxophone or acoustic guitar though
biggrin.gif

But yeah, transients have gotten better, I hear even more details that also hold melodical structures... Aah, I'm getting hooked on the amount of information, that's also pretty musical now. Strangely, they sound pretty damn good with my iPod hooked to a GS Voyager. As good as from a TC Konnekt 6, at least and better than from my JVC Z411 hooked to a LDI+ (with LT1364 and Sylvania Gold 408's). Can't say that with Grado's or AT's, but they sound remarkably good with an iPod as a source; Can't wait for my Hifiman 801!

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #306 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, read 3 pages back now that I got the chance
smily_headphones1.gif

Very controversial impressions here. Not with K_19 though, since we tend to come from completely different families. (SR325i/AD2000 vs 701/HD650)
smily_headphones1.gif
But still I'm amazed that you found the mids forward since I thought they were close to sounding more like in HD650s.. Someone also pointed out that the bass was thin out of the box, strange :/ I heard/FELT the complete opposite
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps forward isn't the most accurate of words, but I feel that they're typical Shure mids I've got to know from listening to e2c/SE210/SE530 over the years. Maybe emphasized or slightly prominent (compared to rest of the spectrum) is a better word(s). As you said I do come from K701/HD650, neither of which IMO is in your face at all, so that could very well play a factor.
wink.gif

BTW, I tried these out in commuting today and... to me they don't get a passing grade. They isolate very well which is a plus point, but in most other things I feel that they're very ill-suited for commuting. They're simply too big and heavy to be on-the-go kind of can. It's not even so much the coiled cable; which isn't actually all that bad, but the way that the 1/8 plug was designed makes it way too cumbersome to use with a DAP. The plug is too big and chunky, and stick out almost two and a half inches, and makes me feel as if I'd damage the headphone socket of the DAP if I pull it the wrong way. If they do come out with a shorter straight cable with smaller plug it'd be much better, but even then, I feel that the headphone itself is much too big. Of course, these obviously aren't designed for portable uses so it's not that much of a surprise... but just a heads up for anyone who may be getting ideas to buy these as a portable can.

Oh, and I got the same box as TheMarchingmule did, which makes me wonder why Quinto's box in the initial post looks a bit different (his box has a smaller lettering for SRH840 while me and TMM's box is in big fat ugly letters... and positioning of the headphone is different). Just a regional variation I guess?

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #307 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...then I decided to call J&R to see if they would price match. They offered them to me for $139.99 because they could not verify that RMC Audio Direct is an official Authorized Dealer of Shure products, according to their list.

According to RMC Audio, they are an authorized dealer for all the products they sell, including Shure's (I specifically asked them this before placing my order).

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #308 of 2,135
Am I the only ones that find these headphones overall "nice" sounding but not very exciting?

They are tad on the boring side. Guess I dont know how to explain it....

I was deciding between these, the DT770, and the ATH-M50. Now I am second guessing my decision.

I hate addiction... Why couldnt I just be satisfied.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #309 of 2,135
Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinez33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only ones that find these headphones overall "nice" sounding but not very exciting?

They are tad on the boring side. Guess I dont know how to explain in....

I was deciding between these, the DT770, and the ATH-M50. Now I am second guessing my decision.

If only you were addicted to boredom...Your journey would be over. (Ho-hum.)

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #310 of 2,135
Quote:

Once you own multiple sets of headphones, then you will no longer have this problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #311 of 2,135
Would these be a worthwhile upgrade from the Equation RP21 for studio monitoring/mixing? I like the RP21 a lot since removing the foam padding on the driver, but they have a bit too much bass for my liking. Other than that, I like them more than the v-6 that I used to use. Has anyone heard both the RP21 and the shr840...or the m50 and the 840?

Jul 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #312 of 2,135
Quote:

This is about the best compliment the Shures could get. IME, cans that come across as boring in the beginning are usually superior in the long run since they're more accurate/natural.

OTOH, exciting cans have great appeal initially, which quickly fades as a result of fatigue. This has happened to me quite a few times.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #315 of 2,135
Hey Skylab, or anyone for that matter,
Although two different types of headphones, i would be interested to know how these compare to Beyerdynamic DT990s... or 770s or 880s - I guess the 770s would be the closest comparison. My current main phones are ATH AD700s and I would like to take a noticeable step up in quality and have been considering the Beyer's. I don't mind closed phones as long as they don't have a plastic shell resonance like my ATH-A55s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back