SRH840 impression
Mar 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #1,681 of 2,135

livetaswim

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 20, 2009
Posts
29
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closed in, small soundstage. ATH-AD700 and DT880 are much better.


If you would be so kind, I have a dell coupon for 100 bucks that I need to spend soon, anything on there that would be at all worthy. I just need something much lighter than the srh840 since the shures cause a painful pressure point on top of my head.

Dell Headphone Selection<Price High to Low>
 
Mar 4, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,682 of 2,135

mrgoodkat

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Posts
22
Likes
10
How much more are you willing to spend? Music only?

I mean, the only thing that isn't way overpriced would be the HD555, which is advertised as a home theater HP. I know a lot of gamers swear by them. The HD595 can be had for around $100 less elsewhere. They have some Sony studio options...

If fit it an issue, looking at Audio Technica and their wing design might be your only answer without experimenting a lot.
 
Mar 13, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,683 of 2,135

pterodactilo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Posts
171
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed reading your impressions and agree with most of your findings. The HD280 is too boring for music listening and is better served for mixing. The SRH440 works well for portable use and faster / livelier genres, while the SRH840 works best with an amp and slower / smoother genres. If you have a smaller head and ears, the SRH440 is very comfortable for its light weight and cup size. The SRH840 fits better for those with big heads, ears and don't mind the extra weight.


I thought the cup size is the same in SRH440 and SRH840. So the SRH840 has bigger cups?.
 
Mar 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #1,684 of 2,135

Solrighal

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Posts
4,246
Likes
755
I've only just managed to get these hooked up through my Rotel amp - things have been chaotic since a recent house move - and I have to say there's a big difference in the sound over my Cowon D2 & Fiio E5. The bass is a lot tighter and less "in yer face", if you know what I mean. Overall the music seems to have more room to breathe. I like!

Gordon.
 
Mar 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #1,686 of 2,135

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,066
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHINABOY1021 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I buy a replacement cable for this? I haven't bought the phones yet but would be interested in getting a shorter cable...


The only replacement cable Shure offers is the exact same one that ships with the headphones, so there's nothing shorter on the market right now. If you're still interested, you can get the standard cable at an authorized Shure dealer (Sound Earphones and Headphone Solutions) or from any of these sources.
 
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #1,687 of 2,135

DarkScythe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Posts
166
Likes
0
Shure has a new replacement "straight" cable out, but it hasn't been reflected in their US site yet, for whatever reason, and it seems pretty slow to hit the market.

It's model number HPASCA1, available here at Headphone Solutions. I suppose if you want to DIY, you can buy this and cut it down to length.
 
Mar 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #1,688 of 2,135

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,066
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkScythe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure has a new replacement "straight" cable out, but it hasn't been reflected in their US site yet, for whatever reason, and it seems pretty slow to hit the market.

It's model number HPASCA1, available here at Headphone Solutions. I suppose if you want to DIY, you can buy this and cut it down to length.



Oooh, nice! I didn't know they'd finally been released! Thanks for the news, DarkScythe.
 
Mar 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,689 of 2,135

DarkScythe

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Posts
166
Likes
0
Glad I could help, though I can't take the credit for the discovery; It was mentioned in another thread that had a poll asking about interest in a straight cable.
 
Mar 16, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #1,690 of 2,135

CHINABOY1021

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 2, 2003
Posts
125
Likes
0
I got the set today (bought htem used, not sure of hours on them, but they seem brand new), not what I expected. They have the EXACT sound signature as my Klipsch promedia 2.1 (4 year old) speakers. One might ask how is that possible, well when I switch back and forth between the 840s and Promedias, the music sounds exactly the same, except the headphones allow me to put speakers on my ears in a smaller format.

I don't know how somebody can use these in a studio, they have no detail. Maybe because I do not have amp, but right now I doubt it. :p
 
Mar 16, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #1,691 of 2,135

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,884
Likes
4,091
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorrofox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only just managed to get these hooked up through my Rotel amp - things have been chaotic since a recent house move - and I have to say there's a big difference in the sound over my Cowon D2 & Fiio E5. The bass is a lot tighter and less "in yer face", if you know what I mean. Overall the music seems to have more room to breathe. I like!

Gordon.



Love the avatar...amazing that the Trailer Park Boys have made it all the way to Scotland!
biggrin.gif


Great Canadian television indeed!
 
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #1,692 of 2,135

Solrighal

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 27, 2005
Posts
4,246
Likes
755
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love the avatar...amazing that the Trailer Park Boys have made it all the way to Scotland!
biggrin.gif


Great Canadian television indeed!



Sorry to say but TPB hasn't really made it to Scotland. I'm a Canadian in Scotland. You're right though, it's the best comedy TV show I've ever seen.
 
Mar 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #1,693 of 2,135

3602

Banned at his own request
Joined
May 30, 2009
Posts
3,148
Likes
34
Got SRH840 today out of curiosity. Very difficult to wear, I had to pull the headband all the way down (ten notches!) to get an acceptable fit. And the headband sticks out on the sides a lot, much more than the several photos online. Maybe the headband needs some break-in, my DT880 used to have fit problems and no longer.
 
Mar 21, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #1,694 of 2,135

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Posts
2,786
Likes
21
Unfortunately, the headband never really breaks in. It constantly sticks out from either side, even after +200 hours of my use. And I have a really large head.
wink.gif
You may find that the fabric/pleather of the band can come out of the plastic fasteners, gradually, with use. This will eventually require use of some glue to hold it in place.
 
Mar 21, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #1,695 of 2,135

3602

Banned at his own request
Joined
May 30, 2009
Posts
3,148
Likes
34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, the headband never really breaks in. It constantly sticks out from either side, even after +200 hours of my use. And I have a really large head.
wink.gif
You may find that the fabric/pleather of the band can come out of the plastic fasteners, gradually, with use. This will eventually require use of some glue to hold it in place.



tk_02.gif

Uh... In that case I'll be considering to return them...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top