1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

SR80e vs HD558/579 vs SHP9500S

1. huilun02
    Anyone know if any of these are particularly outstanding for ~$100 on Amazon?
    Looking for an open back set for indoor listening while on holiday
    Going to plug it into a V30 or OnePlus3T, no external dac/amp
    I listen to orchestra, EDM and modern synthwave with vocals
    Going for an airy and natural wide soundstage, able to hear fine details without anything recessed or overpowering
    Impartial to on-ear vs over-ear but the latter should be more comfortable
    Don't care for fancy looks and branding, sound bleed or fancy features

If there is something better for ~$100 on Amazon do tell me about it. Thanks!
    :smile_phones:

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    My personal preference would be for the HD558/HD579, for someone more into bass, the SHP9500 might be a better choice.
    I've heard others say that some Grado models (SR80e ?) are on the bight side, like sitting at the front seat of a rock concert.

3. huilun02
    Thanks for the input! I bit the bullet and ordered the SHP9500S after looking at past reviews and comparisons. They seem to consistently praise it for being the best all-rounded performer at its price with a slight quirk in the upper mid range. No one mentioned about the bass standing out though, saying its not for bass-heads. I also noticed "Grado" sound being widely recognised and referred to as a characteristic of their products. Decided not to go for that as I want to avoid the risk of disliking the outlier. Also the SR80e being on-ear loses out points in the same area where the SHP9500S excel - comfort.

4. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I own the HD558 and the HD558 does not have a lot of bass (but it's there), the SHP9500 will just have more bass then the HD558.

5. harry501501
    I actually found the 558 to have more bass than the SHP by far. The Grado even more so. I never liked the 558 as i found it a bit incoherent and metallic in the mids. The SHP needs a very good warm source to sound it's best IMO as the bass is very light (it's decent quality but still light) and a fairly thin overall sound. Perhaps even a more neutral AMP with good note weight. The sr80e I found far too bright but from what i remember it had the better bass more so in quantity though. I think the sr80e is the better headphone of the three. For orchestra they are all good but I'd perhaps give it to the SHP (by a small margin tho).

6. Robertwills
    Koss has a relatively new headphone, the KPH30i, at $30.00 that looks to be a real winner. I would get it but it is outside my criteria right now (I need practical portability and sensitive at least 103 db). I have the Sportapro and Grado sr60. Both are excellent and comfortable but the Sportapro is far superior to me. I will try the KTXPRO1 soon. It has a titanium driver which is reputed to give detail like an electrostatic headphone. At $20.00 it should be another Koss miracle.