SR80 or RP21
Dec 17, 2007 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dondoh

Head-Fier
After joining a scant few weeks ago and reading about 5000 posts since then in search of sage headphone advice, I have narrowed my choices down to 2: Grado SR80 and Equation RP21.

I could go either way on this. I think my wife would benefit from the isolation of the RP21s, but I might like the freedom from claustrophobia of the open SR80s.

I really can't decide.

So, if anyone wants to chime in please do.
I may just have to get both. If I do that, I am assuming I wouldn't have a hard time selling the one I don't prefer here. That's true right? I can get both for almost the exact same price. I was also considering the D1000s and the Senn 555s but they are about $20 more, so all other things being equal I will stick with the RP21 and SR80...

Also, has anyone gotten the RP21 shipped with the shorter, curly cord, or is that alwaysa an extra expense.

Thanks for your previous and future help.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 11
The SR80 and RP21 are very different sounding headphones. What headphones have you listened to so far? What sort of music do you listen to? You'd probably like any of the headphones you mention, but what you're after makes a huge difference in what is best for you.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, part of the difficulty is that I don't really know what I want...

In my youth I had two different sets of Koss open headphones. (I actually threw one away just before finding this site, and now I regret it. I could have seen if they were worth restoring. But that is another story). I had a set of inexpensive sony's that went bad a couple of months ago, and since then I have been using the Sennheiser PMX 60s that I use for running to listen to everything. Now they have gone south on me and I find myself here slowly expanding my horizons. I have Sony MDR V600s at work (i know, i know.)

As far as music goes, I listen to almost anything. Really. I work in a music library, so I have access to 8000 cds and 30000 records, mostly classical, but jazz, blues, even the very occasional showtune thrown in. My own collection is mostly rock, funk, and classical, but I have a fairly large jazz collection that belonged to my Uncle that is wanting to go digital at some point...

But to be honest, I suppose most of my listening is Rock of some sort, but a pretty eclectic (hate the word but true) mix of stuff.

My equipment is pretty sad, but I am starting to rectify that.

Also, I have a pretty big noggin if that sways the decision one way or another.

If I think I can get away with it, I may get both to have a point from which to begin comparisons...

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 11
There's nothing wrong with getting both and selling one...especially at that price point. You'll end up with something that you'll be happy with. Or, you may like them both and decide to keep them both. Either way, that nagging feeling of buyer's remorse will disappear.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 11
I had them both, and still have the SR80s. Not that I didn't like the RP21s, but I prefer the Grado sound head to head. Also, I know this is blasphemy, but I really like the SR80s with the Grado comfy pads, the ones that come with the SR60s. I have tried the bowls, of course, and even the quarter-modded Comfy pads, but I like the way the Comfy pads reduce the highs a bit. I just found the RP21s too big and not all the comfortable. SQ-wise, they are fine, but I like the combo of form and sound from the Grados.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I tried the RP 21s at a meet and liked the sound, though I thought my ES7s sounded better. The big problem I had with the 21s involved the fit. I have a large head and they were quite tight, which I cannot stand. They may be bendable, but I could not confirm that. I also found the stock plastic ear muffs uncomfortable.

I also own Grado SR 60s, and I think that anyone who listens to rock should own a pair of 60s or 80s at some point. I highly recommend you start there. They are easy to adjust and I find them quite comfortable after "widening" the band.

I'm still on the lookout for $100-200 non-Senn closed phones (don't like the sound except for the open 600-650). I like the sound of my ES7s very much, but wish they were more comfortable for extended listening. At some point I may have to try the Denon 2000s, which you might want to consider also. Search is your friend.

Mooch

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I have both the SR-80 and the RP-21. I bought the SR-80s Jan '07, and the RP-21s Sept '07. I love both headphones for different reasons. I would say the SR-80s sound the best with most styles of Rock. Anything with a guitar really sounds great. Some electronic music sounds good as well. The music it doesn't sound as good to me is with most classical, jazz, rap, hip-hop, and electronic. Now the RP-21s were a great compliment as they do fairly well with most music genres. They have more bass presence than the SR-80s so that satisfies my hip-hop and rap songs. During the time I had my SR-80s, I was quite satisfied with the sound quality, but again the bass is a little lacking for my tastes.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alrighty then.
It is looking like I will take the plunge on the SR-80s.
If I am not over the moon about them, I will get the RP21s.
Thanks for all the great input.

cool.

btw, i just got my rp21's that i ordered a couple weeks ago. i was also in the same predicament as you: rp21 vs. sr80

i'm listening to my rp21s right now and i love them. the sound is pretty good and the bass is definitely there. i've never had any good headphones before and i can already tell what a big difference it made.

btw, i might pick up the sr80s in the future just cuz lol. i want to try them out, and i like the grado headphone style too.

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alrighty then.
It is looking like I will take the plunge on the SR-80s.
If I am not over the moon about them, I will get the RP21s.
Thanks for all the great input.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll like them (except the leakage of sound part, everything else is great).

Dec 19, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Grados are currently in the bowels of the UPS system. Tracking says they will not arrive until the 27th...

Excited?
You bet.

It is really inconsiderate of everyone celebrating Xmas to be clogging up the UPS plumbing while I am waiting for these puppies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back