SR60's Vs. MS-1's
Mar 20, 2006 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

struudle

New Head-Fier
im new to the decent headphone scene. ive been looking at SR60s and MS1s. are the MS-1's worth the little jump in price? ive read that the sr60's work well with out an amp, does that apply for the MS1's as well?

also, since they are open head phones does that mean that they dont retain sound well, i.e. other people can hear what you are listening too.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by struudle
im new to the decent headphone scene. ive been looking at SR60s and MS1s. are the MS-1's worth the little jump in price? ive read that the sr60's work well with out an amp, does that apply for the MS1's as well?

also, since they are open head phones does that mean that they dont retain sound well, i.e. other people can hear what you are listening too.

Welcome to head-fi! (Sorry about your wallet.) Both the SR-60 and MS-1 are really nice headphones. I think it is generally conceded that the MS-1 are better in some sense of the term, but then you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. Grados have a truly distinct sound that Alessandros don't seem to quite capture. As far as a direct comparison is concerned, I'll leave that to someone who has owned both.

On other issues, both 'phones should perform well unamped. "Open" cans provide neither isolation from environmental noise nor retention of their own noise--so yes, others may well be able to hear your music. With that said, I've never personally found this to be much of a concern.
biggrin.gif

-Angler
etysmile.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #5 of 7
I've owned and lived with both. The MS-1 is the superior can in raw sound quality, and its unique Alessandro signature also appeals to me more than the stock John Grado approach - more analytical, not as "rough" around the edges, and still plenty fun for me!

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 7
MS-1.

Its a much more enjoyable sound. More balanced and not as harsh as the 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back