SR60s Dissapointing for Rap/Hip-Hop
Jun 5, 2005 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
I've pretty much only used my SR60s for rock up until recently. After listening to some rap/hip-hop albums, I've found the sr60s a little lacking in bass. I was wondering if different pads (Todd Flats?) would help out with the bass. If not, can anyone suggest some reasonably priced (~$60) headphones for rap? I was thinking Beyerdynamic DT231 or Sony MDR-V6 which both have good bass from what I've heard.

Jun 5, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
I've pretty much only used my SR60s for rock up until recently. After listening to some rap/hip-hop albums, I've found the sr60s a little lacking in bass. I was wondering if different pads (Todd Flats?) would help out with the bass. If not, can anyone suggest some reasonably priced (~$60) headphones for rap? I was thinking Beyerdynamic DT231 or Sony MDR-V6 which both have good bass from what I've heard.

Strange, i was lisening to some Eminem on mine earlier today and loved it. Different tastes i guess.

And methinks any pads with a hollow in the centre that exposes the drivers will improve the bass response - at least, the ones i listened to certainly did. I've heard good things about flats, too.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #4 of 24
I think your best bet are the Sennheiser HD414 pads. If you don't like it then you're only out of $5 or so.

You can order them from the senn site here:
http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545

Cut a hole in the middle a little bigger than an inch in diameter. And see if you like that better. Flat pads for the SR60s are not worth it IMO if you can get practically the same for a lot less $$.
And like you said, some more burn-in might also help.

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 24
I think the bass on the DT231 is great, but it's not particularly emphasized across the frequency spectrum (which may be desirable for rap/hip-hop? I'm not sure, I don't listen to those genres that much). IMO, it is punchy and quality bass though.
biggrin.gif
They're certainly great headphones for the price. The Sennheiser HD497 seems to have some more bass than the DT231 (and is a similar price), but I don't like the HD497 sound. I think the DT231 is way better. Then there's also the Sennheiser HD212 Pro, which I used to own. It had massive bass (too much IMO), but also sounded relatively crappy compared to the DT231 IMO.

Jun 5, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
Maybe they haven't been burned in properly yet. I've only had this pair for a week so far.

I don't think burn in or pad changes will help much. They lack low end bass. I guess you'll need headphones with stronger bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
I don't think burn in or pad changes will help much. They lack low end bass. I guess you'll need headphones with stronger bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed, SR60 is quite weak when it comes to low bass, one of the reasons I think MS-1 are clearly better.

Jun 5, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 24
I dont listen to rap or hip hop but certainly the SR60 is not the most bass-heavy can out there.

yes the V6 and portapro are more bass heavy than the SR60 IMHO.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMC
Agreed, SR60 is quite weak when it comes to low bass, one of the reasons I think MS-1 are clearly better.

Obviously, the MS-1's are $40 more then the SR-60's. But ya if you want better bass response your probably gonna have to spend a few more dollars. (dont get me wrong I love my SR-60) Also cutting a quarter sized hole in the comfies work amazing. I have tryed the flats vs. comfies w/holes and they sound about the same (also the comfies are, well, comfortable.

Junkie,

Jun 5, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradojunkie
Obviously, the MS-1's are $40 more then the SR-60's. But ya if you want better bass response your probably gonna have to spend a few more dollars. (dont get me wrong I love my SR-60) Also cutting a quarter sized hole in the comfies work amazing. I have tryed the flats vs. comfies w/holes and they sound about the same (also the comfies are, well, comfortable.

Junkie,

I didn't find that going from unmodded comfies to modded Senns helped the quantity of bass, it was more about quality. But still the low bass is just too lacking and the treble a bit too harsh for me to consider the SR-60 good value when there is something clearly better in MS-1 without having to pay that much more.

Jun 5, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 24
I just noticed your sig... you have a PA2 in your rig!!!

Forget everything else.... sell your SR60 for ~$70 on ebay and use the $$$ for a used DT770-80. Dont even bother with anything else.. you'll always be second guessing yourself. IMHO the DT770 + PA2 is the bassheads low budget holy grail.

Garrett

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 24
Gary is still building my PA2, but yea, I'll soon have the PA2 in my hands. I'm not really a basshead, I listen to rock alot more than I listen to rap. I love the Grados when listening to rock music, but when listening to rap on them, it leaves something to be desired. If the MS-1s can give me some better bass while still providing the highs that my SR60s give, I'd trade my SR60s in for the MS-1s. If not, I'd be interested in something inexpensive to give me a bass fix when I'm listening to rap (DT231s or V6s from what I've read). One thing is for sure, I'm hooked on the Grado sound for rock.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 24
Changing the pads might not turn the sr60's into bassmonsters, but there is definitely a difference in bass b/w the bowls and flats/senn's. I haven't heard the sr60's, but on the sr80's and 325i's, they are completely different cans with the flats - much more bass. If you want to keep the sr60's but get more bass, that should be your first option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back