SR60 - the ideal dog-walking phone in late winter?
Mar 8, 2005 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

maxxfell

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Posts
49
Likes
0
With the comfy pads, of course. SR60 covered by wool hat covered by windbreaker hood. Ears are warmed on the outside, entertained on the inside.
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 11

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
7,362
Likes
16
I dont recommend wearing headphones on the road when there are vehicles in the vicinity...If you are on the sidewalk at all times then maybe - but watch out for bicyclists etc.

Grados sound bad when they are closed up .. better to get closed headphones like the Senn HD-25 etc.

Koss Porta Pro 2 is also a good option

Koss KSC 35 with earmuffs on top is what I use when I walk outdoors...
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 11

maxxfell

New Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Posts
49
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I dont recommend wearing headphones on the road when there are vehicles in the vicinity...If you are on the sidewalk at all times then maybe - but watch out for bicyclists etc....


Thanks for the concern. But an advantage of the SR60s is you can hear through them pretty well. I don't have them loud. And also I am on sidewalks in a quiet residential neighborhood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Grados sound bad when they are closed up .. better to get closed headphones like the Senn HD-25 etc.


Now isn't that the kind of "you-need-another-headphone" comment that makes Head-Fi such a favorite with credit card companies?
biggrin.gif


And actually, this isn't like cupping hands over the Grados, there's plenty of airflow around them. They sound fine. Really.
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 11

Falqon

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I dont recommend wearing headphones on the road when there are vehicles in the vicinity.


No offense, I see you've got a nice post count and all, but have you ever owned grado's? I can carry on normal conversations and listen to music with no problem. Unless the car's electric, he'll be fine.
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 11

zChan

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Posts
382
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
No offense, I see you've got a nice post count and all, but have you ever owned grado's? I can carry on normal conversations and listen to music with no problem. Unless the car's electric, he'll be fine.


Its not the hearing thats the problem. Its the lack of attention to your surroundings. Grados tend to immerse you into the music.
wink.gif
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 11

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
7,362
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
No offense, I see you've got a nice post count and all, but have you ever owned grado's? I can carry on normal conversations and listen to music with no problem. Unless the car's electric, he'll be fine.


You can look up a persons gear by checking out their profile. I have owned almost every Grado there is

SR-60/80/125/225/325/MS1/MS2

And I have spent more than a fair share of time with

RS1/HP1/HP2/PS1

If you have an accident with headphones on you are not eligible for insurance - ask your friendly insurance agency. If you get hit on the road with headphones - I would imagine a LOT of weight is taken off the vehicle driver's shoulders...

Its awesome that you can hold a conversation while wearing the Grados...maybe this special skill of yours will save you on the street
wink.gif
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 11

Soundbuff

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Posts
366
Likes
0
HD 212 pro = decent sound, good comfort and good isolation outdoors.

Edit:

I walk my dog with 'em all the time. You can easily hear cars and traffic over the music if you listen at a sensible volume. Best to walk at night when the car lights are on as they can also help keep you aware and safe...

And stay on the sidewalk (off the road) as much as possible.
 
Mar 8, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 11

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 24, 2004
Posts
2,734
Likes
12
Location
Savannah, GA
I too can hold conversations while wearing Grados, just ask my boss
tongue.gif
Just be careful when walking on the street...
 
Mar 9, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #9 of 11

Falqon

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Posts
71
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
If you have an accident with headphones on you are not eligible for insurance - ask your friendly insurance agency. If you get hit on the road with headphones - I would imagine a LOT of weight is taken off the vehicle driver's shoulders


I'll ask a friend of mine who's a lawyer, but that sounds pretty suspicious, if you're on the sidewalk and a car hits you, I don't know that you have any legal obligation to move. Blind and deaf people don't carry any liability when they walk around on sidewalks.
 
Mar 9, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 11

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Posts
7,362
Likes
16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
I'll ask a friend of mine who's a lawyer, but that sounds pretty suspicious, if you're on the sidewalk and a car hits you, I don't know that you have any legal obligation to move. Blind and deaf people don't carry any liability when they walk around on sidewalks.



Not the sidewalk - crossing the street..stuff like that
 
Mar 9, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 11

Jahn

Headphoneus Supremus Prolificus
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Posts
21,332
Likes
32
look at my sig - all the winter months with the timberland cap and KSC-35 combo and still going strong.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top