SR60 or SR80?
Nov 9, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #16 of 35
fureshi said:
That seems to be the case. I recently purchased my SR60 from a guy on ebay who bought them, used them two or three times and threw them in his closet. They looked brand new when I picked them up. They've been burning in for 72hrs and I didn't hear much change in the sound. This could be why I find them so boring. Maybe things will change afterwards. QUOTE]

You actually need a lot of burn-in. When I first bought my pair of SR80, they sounded really shrill - untolerably so. After 300+ hours, I just love them. Even with comfies, I prefer my SR80 to my Senn 595 (less burn-in admittedly) when I'm listening to rock of blues.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Wow, I guess I'm in the minority here because I've owned both the SR80 and SR60 and enjoyed the SR80 more. I found it to be more detailed and I enjoyed the bass a lot more than the SR60.

ditto. IMO SR-80 smokes the SR-60, no contest.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #18 of 35
My Grado SR-60 burn-in story:

When I first purchased the Grado SR60's, it was to get away from my 15 dollar sibilant crappy headphones. These certainly solved the problem, but I didn't find them to live up to all the hype that I'd heard surrounding them at the time. Over time, they did get better, and I found them much better, but still not as good as they sound right now. Well, anyway, after a few months of having them, just for kicks, since I want to get new headphones, I did the following:

I turned up the volume on the preamp and the soundcard all the way up, and put on Korn - Freak on a Leash, for like 30 min, and then, I let a 20hz to 20khz sweep run for several hours. I also let The Killers - Hot Fuss album run through several times. I did this for about half a day. When I put them on again, there was a far greater sound than they had before. Mainly, the "lack of bass" was no longer a problem.

I hope this helps somebody, and I'd be interested to know if anybody else can reproduce these results.

Edit: After this, I actually notice a difference when the SR60 is plugged into an amp, and when it is not. Before, there was no difference.

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 35
Hmm, pretty interesting. I think I'll try burning in my SR-60's again tonight, put on a playlist with a nice variety of music. I do notice a huge difference now than when I first bought them, but I doubt I've clocked in more than 150 hours on them. Worth a try...

Nov 9, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
Hmm, pretty interesting. I think I'll try burning in my SR-60's again tonight, put on a playlist with a nice variety of music. I do notice a huge difference now than when I first bought them, but I doubt I've clocked in more than 150 hours on them. Worth a try...

If you're trying to reproduce my results, remember to turn the volume much higher than normal (though try to prevent damage to headphones, if possible). That's the only difference between my first and second burn in.

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #21 of 35
i have both, i have 2 used pair of 60s and the 80s i got new. The 80s seem a little to brite for me and the bass on the 60s seem alot better, tighter then the 80s. Maybe i need to put more time on the 80s? i think they have about 50-60 on em so far. Not sure about the 60s

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep

Just remember to read this thread before do anything dramatic...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54706

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #25 of 35
Jumped right to an SR-80 here. Don't know what an SR-60 sounds like, but these are great, and are really awesome with an amp! (if you're not going to amp it might not be worth it. I've heard the SR-60 doesn't benefit as much from amping, as do most of the lower-end Grados compared to the higher-end ones)

Nov 10, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 35
I burned them in by playing the same music that I normally listen to at the same volume I normally listen at, which is pretty damn loud. No difference at all. But hey, unlike that thread that just came up recently, they didn't smoke.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #27 of 35
I've sold my sr60's over a yr ago, just the other day I've listened to a really old pair, we are talking over 10 yrs, they had the bowl pads that were all flattened and musty looking. The plug looks different.
Boy, that thing is cute with the smaller drivers. I was impressed with the bass, it almost sounds a little bit darker than the sr80's. The only problem was the band was like a vise and the earpads all hardened. I'd say it needs new pads and bend the band outwards and it would be a nice briefcase portable headphones.

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #28 of 35
I would say that about 50% of respondents prefer the bass response of the SR60s, and the other 50% prefer the bass response of the SR80s.

This doesn't bode well for the SR80 claim of a better bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back