SR60-Mod
Jun 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #4,966 of 5,004

Quote:
Quote:
Marty, I stole one of your pics for my current avatar, and only now occurred to me I should've asked firts. On my behalf, these same cans should be on my doorstep soon 
tongue.gif

I sense a lawsuit comoing!!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

I'm very interested in your impressions on Marty's MS1 mod

Ha...you could of at least taken a pic of the final cans....ya goof.  :)  I just spoke to Victor today...has he mailed them out to you yet?  From my experience he's a really good guy.

Absolutely no problem...and it's really cool to see them as your avatar.  

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #4,967 of 5,004

Quote:

tell me about it, I might need to use a neck support collar, the jaben aluminium cups are heavy

2009_05_11_14_30_37__12_NC92051_MD.jpg

Dude...Hi-larious pic.  

Yeah, those aluminums even LOOK heavy.

Jun 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #4,968 of 5,004

Quote:
Agreed, on the wood or aluminium change in sound. for me the mod its more about the look and the fact that I made it myself.

Man....this thread goes crazy fast.  Tough to keep up with the different conversations...but it's awesome.  

I have heard a "perceived" difference between aluminum and wood.  I tried a set of 325 Goldies for a few sessions...then modded them with Mahogany cups.  Well...wouldn't ya know it...but to me they sounded more relaxed and less tinny/metalic/harsh...whathaveyou.  Alot of things are perceived.  But you know what?....it doesn't matter....as long as the listener is happy.  

And, for me, a set of unique headphones also adds a "perceived" oomph to the listening experience.  I love a set of cans that looks as awesome as they sound.  You dig?

Jun 30, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #4,969 of 5,004

Quote:
I think you've asked a "loaded" question here.  Yes, there are probably many that could cut the smaller cups to replace your plastic liners - giving you that liberated driver scenario.  However, it's getting quite hard to vouch for someone who can take this on.  Personally, I'd check with techheromods.com or even Marty as you suggested.  Both should be able to deliver.  But, the issue that I see is that ideally, whoever you pick to do the work for you, will probably desire to have the cups in their posession so that they can make an accurate fitting inner cup that will work with your Bila cups and the liberated driver.

<whew>

Putting that aside, I have 2 pair of woody headphones.  One is liberted where the drivers themselves are inserted directly into the cup.  I also have a 2nd pair where the drivers are still mounted into the smaller plastic cups and then into the wooden cups.  To tell you the complete honest truth, I really can't tell the sound difference between the two.  If you're looking at spening $80 - $90 on cup inserts to mount your drivers in, I'd personally recommend investing your money into something else, or save some more money for a new amp or buy some music.

Just my .02

Wow, I'm shocked to hear that you don't see much of a difference with a full wooden shell... I would think that the inner makes more of a difference than the outside. 

Quote:
IMO, unless you have superman ears, the wood is more for looks than anything else.

So, I was going to harass you and then you posted this 

Quote:
That was me with the hf2s. The reason I took them apart was because they were in bad shape cosmetically. I destroyed the wood cups taking them apart. The replacement set of wood chambers was a different species of wood( i still don't even know what it is). From what I remember how the mahogany  wood sounded, I cant really tell if the new wood sounds any different. Maybe it does though. They were gone to long to remember. I do know they sound good the way they are now. Long story short, I'm not sure if different types of wood make any difference in the sound. If it does, my ears cant tell the difference. Now from plastic to wood, sure you would tell a difference.

wood definitely changes the sound. types of wood *shrugs* probably. 

Quote:
you guys know what we shall do to avoid newcomers all the trouble?

IdeaLightbulb.gif
 Start a "General Grado Mod Resource Thread" will all info for where or whom to order parts from and maybe even tips or tutorials, its hard for new moders to come and get info for a 330 pages thread.

I would help you organize info if you needed or edit or whatever. 

Quote:

Man....this thread goes crazy fast.  Tough to keep up with the different conversations...but it's awesome.  

I have heard a "perceived" difference between aluminum and wood.  I tried a set of 325 Goldies for a few sessions...then modded them with Mahogany cups.  Well...wouldn't ya know it...but to me they sounded more relaxed and less tinny/metalic/harsh...whathaveyou.  Alot of things are perceived.  But you know what?....it doesn't matter....as long as the listener is happy.  

And, for me, a set of unique headphones also adds a "perceived" oomph to the listening experience.  I love a set of cans that looks as awesome as they sound.  You dig?

I definitely dig it :wink: I prefer the looks of my bloodwood cups to the ms pros and the sound is too close, I can hear the mspros trembling every time I put on my sr80's. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #4,970 of 5,004

Quote:
Ha...you could of at least taken a pic of the final cans....ya goof.  :)  I just spoke to Victor today...has he mailed them out to you yet?  From my experience he's a really good guy.

Absolutely no problem...and it's really cool to see them as your avatar.  

It's a tiny avatar, so no spoilers
redface.gif

I now have a tracking number from Victor. Let's see if we can have a wall of impressions next week
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #4,971 of 5,004

Quote:
Wow, I'm shocked to hear that you don't see much of a difference with a full wooden shell... I would think that the inner makes more of a difference than the outside. 

To be honest, though, the cups are not the same - which could be considered one variable here.  The liberated driver cups are those from Cabellas.  Over all, they are a smaller cup - less wood involved, etc.  The other cups that don't use the liberated drivers, but rather the smaller plastic cups with the drivers in them are the Burls from BigRock.  The Burls use quite a bit more wood when being made.  There's more mass to their structure.  Due to the extra mass, it might be compensating a bit for the non-liberated drivers.  Granted, that's just a random thought, not a fact.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #4,973 of 5,004
Hey, everybody, I'm back.  I've been away for something like three weeks.  I did not run off to Mexico or anything.  I've just been stoned out of my mind.  The last day of the last week of school, I got stuck moving some computers across campus.  Because we're in portables, I had to walk these to the media center over a large sandy area that didn't accommodate carts.  I knew I'd hurt my back but I didn't have any idea how bad till several days later when my back started locking up, like a jack knife.  I'd get these attacks where my whole back would clench up like a fist.  It was unbelievable.  If childbirth is anything like this, I'm glad I'm a guy.  The remedy was a cocktail of pain meds and muscle relaxants.  The meds took me to another place.  If you need to reach me, PM me.  I'm working my way through 33 messages.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4,974 of 5,004
Pleasure to see you back mate, hope everything is good and well.

We've been quite busy without you here sir!

Also please mail the poor kid his SR-225's back... I was about to start a donation thread for him in a couple hours...

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4,975 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey, everybody, I'm back.  I've been away for something like three weeks.  I did not run off to Mexico or anything.  I've just been stoned out of my mind.  The last day of the last week of school, I got stuck moving some computers across campus.  Because we're in portables, I had to walk these to the media center over a large sandy area that didn't accommodate carts.  I knew I'd hurt my back but I didn't have any idea how bad till several days later when my back started locking up, like a jack knife.  I'd get these attacks where my whole back would clench up like a fist.  It was unbelievable.  If childbirth is anything like this, I'm glad I'm a guy.  The remedy was a cocktail of pain meds and muscle relaxants.  The meds took me to another place.  If you need to reach me, PM me.  I'm working my way through 33 messages.

BILA! Glad you're back! Sorry to hear what happened but hope you get better soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: I have a feeling that this thread is going to explode soon
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #4,977 of 5,004
Bill, while it's good to see that you're up and moving again.  However, I feel that some sort of triage needs to be established to prioritize some of the "outstanding" items that are owed many customers who were interested in your products and / or services.

1. If people have requested refunds via PayPal, kindly refund them their money.
  2. If you are holding headphones that you planned on modifying for other members here, you should contact them and let them decide on the course of action.  I'm sure some may just want their items shipped back and their money refunded.
  3. For those that are waiting on cups and don't mind the wait - then you can work that out with them.

There have been people who have sent you money as early as January - yet, still don't have any goods.  There are others who were provided tracking numbers that did exist, but the product was never shipped.  There are people who have also been waiting on cups since march - long before your 2 or 3 lathe failures, your twisted leg incident and your most recent back issue.

Trust me, I wouldn't wish the potential pain that your body has experienced on anyone.  However, disappearing and then popping back in does have its effects on one's credibility.  I do hope that you can take care of those individuals so your slate is clean before your next unfortunate incident happens (I'm just speculating ... based on your track record).

Finally, if the humor that I've posted in the other thread offends you in any way, please do accept my apologies.   I was just trying to lighten the mood around here.  Lots of people were feeling pretty down and frustrated - they felt cheated.  For some people, $50 is easy to come by, but for others that isn't always the case.

I'm looking forward to - and expecting lots of positive outcomes; hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4,978 of 5,004
Just got an update from Marty... my 325 inserts (cocobolo) are complete!
biggrin.gif
... and my other 2 sets of cups are in the works... I just placed the order with him 2 days ago!

Another thumbs up for Marty!  http://martincustomaudio.blogspot.com/

Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #4,979 of 5,004
I second wje's post.

Bill, we have exchanged far too many PMs in the last 6 months. Please consider my last one with my Paypal info for the requested refund. It's time for me to move on. Your come back, hopefuly, will help clear the darkest clouds this past weeks and get back on track with your priceless posts and shared info.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #4,980 of 5,004

I second wje's post.

Bill, we have exchanged far too many PMs in the last 6 months. Please consider my last one with my Paypal info for the requested refund. It's time for me to move on. Your come back, hopefuly, will help clear the darkest clouds this past weeks and get back on track with your priceless posts and shared info.

Check your PayPal.  I'm back but I understand where you're coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back