SR60-Mod
Jun 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #4,486 of 5,004

Quote:
Has anyone heard from Bila lately? Still waiting for a driver from him.......

I did earlier this week when I sent him a PM.  He told me at about 4:00 PM (EST), he was heading to the post office with my box and would come back and PM me with the tracking number.  I didn't get the tracking number, yet.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #4,488 of 5,004

Quote:
IMO, right now the "magic" combination would be the following.  Alessandro MS-1i headphones ($100) + find some wooden cups cut for $50 - $60.  Keep the stock cable and ear pads.  You could "quarter mod" the ear pads to open up the foam areas, if you'd like.  Also, you could open up 4 of the rear vent holes - very carefully on the rear of the drivers.  The result?  For $160.00, you'd have a pair of headphones that would shame the Grado SR-225i.

Of course, this is just my opionion - but, I suspect many would agree with me.

I second that! I have tried SR60s, SR80s, MS1s. I have listened to higher-end Grados, they are better than the ones mentioned before. Sure, but not that much that I would be ready to spend that much money on that little improvement.
I have vented 10 holes and have gone back to four or none, depending on what driver, what wood/wood dimensions and what pads I have used. I have also tried aluminum. Now, taking into account my personal experiences, my magic combination based on the price-performance ratio for a European is as follows:
I would go for the MS1, I would then have Cabillas send me some of his cups, partially liberate the drivers and install them on my wood cups. I would buy some L-cushions and vent two driver holes, maybe then work myself up to how many I find suiting my personal sound signature preferences. I would also use some Dynamat for the driver back and replace the stock plastic back grill with some more open metal grill. That would cost me about €160. And it would make me happy. Even more so, because I paid around €200 for my first stock SR80i. And the above mentioned modded MS1 would clearly blow that one out of the water easily.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #4,489 of 5,004
Sourced from Irishwoods.com

Spalted Maple Turning block
  [size=8.0pt]9086[/size]           [size=8.0pt]4 x 4 x 20 inches.[/size]                 [size=8.0pt]101.6 x 101.6 x 508 mm.[/size]      [size=9.0pt]Air Dried[/size]      [size=9.0pt]Quality[/size]               [size=8.0pt]€27.00[/size]

Standard Walnut Board
          [size=8.0pt]1''[/size]            [size=8.0pt]11.41[/size]  [size=8.0pt]cu ft  [/size]     [size=8.0pt]19[/size]  [size=8.0pt]boards[/size]  [size=8.0pt]7 to 17.5 inches.[/size]        [size=8.0pt]6.42[/size]  [size=8.0pt]to[/size]  [size=8.0pt]6.50[/size]  [size=8.0pt]feet.[/size]            [size=8.0pt]€93.05[/size] [size=8.0pt]/cu ft [/size]

Couldn't tell you how many woodies you would get out of them though, may see about sourcing them from a fellow head-fier if I can get for a reasonable price

This guy is based in ireland

http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/p/6174899/black-walnut-blocks-1-2-boards-9-x-3-8-230mm#
€20 for black walnut block!

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #4,490 of 5,004

That'd be a good idea!
If it was too work out, i'd probably want a pair myself!
Not for some time though..
P.S I bit the bullet and ordered the MS1is :D
Quote:
Sourced from Irishwoods.com

Spalted Maple Turning block
  [size=8.0pt]9086[/size]           [size=8.0pt]4 x 4 x 20 inches.[/size]                 [size=8.0pt]101.6 x 101.6 x 508 mm.[/size]      [size=9.0pt]Air Dried[/size]      [size=9.0pt]Quality[/size]               [size=8.0pt]€27.00[/size]

Standard Walnut Board
          [size=8.0pt]1''[/size]            [size=8.0pt]11.41[/size]  [size=8.0pt]cu ft  [/size]     [size=8.0pt]19[/size]  [size=8.0pt]boards[/size]  [size=8.0pt]7 to 17.5 inches.[/size]        [size=8.0pt]6.42[/size]  [size=8.0pt]to[/size]  [size=8.0pt]6.50[/size]  [size=8.0pt]feet.[/size]            [size=8.0pt]€93.05[/size] [size=8.0pt]/cu ft [/size]

Couldn't tell you how many woodies you would get out of them though, may see about sourcing them from a fellow head-fier if I can get for a reasonable price

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4,497 of 5,004

Quote:
Why are you still waiting on something for over 2 months? Its probably not coming.

Hasn't been a huge deal because of how busy I have been lately, but I also haven't seen any used SR60s for sale for a reasonable price lately (likely due to this thread). Also free is a powerful motivator.

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #4,498 of 5,004

Im just saying they might not exist. Im mean all the trips hes making to the post office daily they might "be in the mail tomorrow"

Quote:
Hasn't been a huge deal because of how busy I have been lately, but I also haven't seen any used SR60s for sale for a reasonable price lately (likely due to this thread). Also free is a powerful motivator.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #4,499 of 5,004

Quote:
On a related note, is there any proven/convenient way to make sure that the quarter modded hole is more or less (read: absolutely) centered?
sorry I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this kind of things...
biggrin.gif

thought I'd have to start from somewhere with the modding to my less than one day old sr60i's, even tho boss/work is not being too kind these days

Tell ya what man.. you can get really close just using the quarter method and a xacto knife or razor.. If you take your time and make sure you cut the circle in one swipe, they will look perfect and like they came that way. Just take your time and do it right and they will look just fine.. Stay far away from using something circular and a hammer, that technique has yet to work well for me..

Also, you don't have to cut all the way through when you go around the quarter, just get close and concentrate more on making it a perfect circle. you can go back with the razer once you have it cut all the way through and it'll come right off. I wish you lived nearby, I'd do it for ya :)

Also, I personally prefer a hole bigger than a quarter. The bigger the hole, the more likely your ear is to touch the grill covering the driver and the less comfortable they are going to be. It's all personal preference, but I have mine cut out the size of the driver.. I'd consider cutting them bigger, before you make the quarter sized hole, because it will be harder to cut them a bit bigger once you already have a hole in the middle. I did it that way and my holes aren't perfect. I can't tell when they are on my head though and I stick to using bowls anymore :p

P.S. If you want it ABSOLUTELY centered, just measure and make sure whatever it is that you are cutting around is in the center. You should be able to do this with just a simple ruler. It will be damn close. Alternatively, if cutting the pads is going to bother you so much, just buy a pair of bowls (they are like modding the comfies to a hole the size of the driver, and then moving the driver a bit closer to your ear. Everything gets a touch more aggressive). If you don't like them I'm sure someone else would buy them off of you. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that bowls sound the best, but some people find them uncomfortable.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #4,500 of 5,004

Quote:
Tell ya what man.. you can get really close just using the quarter method and a xacto knife or razor.. If you take your time and make sure you cut the circle in one swipe, they will look perfect and like they came that way. Just take your time and do it right and they will look just fine.. Stay far away from using something circular and a hammer, that technique has yet to work well for me..

Also, you don't have to cut all the way through when you go around the quarter, just get close and concentrate more on making it a perfect circle. you can go back with the razer once you have it cut all the way through and it'll come right off. I wish you lived nearby, I'd do it for ya :)

Also, I personally prefer a hole bigger than a quarter. The bigger the hole, the more likely your ear is to touch the grill covering the driver and the less comfortable they are going to be. It's all personal preference, but I have mine cut out the size of the driver.. I'd consider cutting them bigger, before you make the quarter sized hole, because it will be harder to cut them a bit bigger once you already have a hole in the middle. I did it that way and my holes aren't perfect. I can't tell when they are on my head though and I stick to using bowls anymore :p

P.S. If you want it ABSOLUTELY centered, just measure and make sure whatever it is that you are cutting around is in the center. You should be able to do this with just a simple ruler. It will be damn close. Alternatively, if cutting the pads is going to bother you so much, just buy a pair of bowls (they are like modding the comfies to a hole the size of the driver, and then moving the driver a bit closer to your ear. Everything gets a touch more aggressive). If you don't like them I'm sure someone else would buy them off of you. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that bowls sound the best, but some people find them uncomfortable.

Thanks man! I might just get a dollar coin and cut around that to get a bigger hole. I also read that bowls do sound better but may not be as comfortable, was going to buy them with the headphones but decided to wait for a bit. 
Can't wait to get off work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back