SR60-Mod
Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #4,475 of 5,004

Quote:

IMO, right now the "magic" combination would be the following.  Alessandro MS-1i headphones ($100) + find some wooden cups cut for $50 - $60.  Keep the stock cable and ear pads.  You could "quarter mod" the ear pads to open up the foam areas, if you'd like.  Also, you could open up 4 of the rear vent holes - very carefully on the rear of the drivers.  The result?  For $160.00, you'd have a pair of headphones that would shame the Grado SR-225i.

Not quite sure about "shaming" them but I would agree that the modded MS1 is at least on par with the 225i.  It's a fun can and a very reasonable price for good modded, mid-fi.  If you want to take it a step farther read Nickchen's MS1000 thread....very good read.   

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4,477 of 5,004
Hey Marko

TBH couldn't tell you how they compare to the SR 60/80 as they are my first real jump into full sized headphones, others round here would be able to give you a better idea.

Have been lurking on the thread for a while and based upon others opinions I took a chance on them.

I have had them for a few days now and they are great even un-modded.

I have an RSA P-51 Amp and am already picking up little details on some tracks that my other phones just are not presenting.

I have to say though if you plan on using them with a portable setup like me, get used to listening to traffic too. At home they really come alive when you have the silence around you to really listen/concentrate.

If you have good source equipment and lossless files try out the following albums-

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Hot Chip - One Life Stand

Joan as Policewoman - The Deep Field

Great albums really brought to life by the alessandro's - the level of detail they brought out was really impressive

I can't wait to get stuck into them, really need to find a good source of tonewood in Ireland though.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #4,478 of 5,004

Quote:
Really? How do they sound to you? Good as/Better than Sr60/80s?
LINK :D

I now the question wasnt for me but I like my MS1 more than sr80 and sr60 indeed 
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #4,479 of 5,004
Ohhh that's good then! I might bite the bullet.

Quote:

I now the question wasnt for me but I like my MS1 more than sr80 and sr60 indeed 
biggrin.gif

I'll certainly check these out. As for source it's just a laptop, but i got loseless on it!
I'll have to check them albums for the M50s haha!
Btw, how long did it take for them to arrive? :)

Quote:
Hey Marko

TBH couldn't tell you how they compare to the SR 60/80 as they are my first real jump into full sized headphones, others round here would be able to give you a better idea.

Have been lurking on the thread for a while and based upon others opinions I took a chance on them.

I have had them for a few days now and they are great even un-modded.

I have an RSA P-51 Amp and am already picking up little details on some tracks that my other phones just are not presenting.

I have to say though if you plan on using them with a portable setup like me, get used to listening to traffic too. At home they really come alive when you have the silence around you to really listen/concentrate.

If you have good source equipment and lossless files try out the following albums-

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

Hot Chip - One Life Stand

Joan as Policewoman - The Deep Field

Great albums really brought to life by the alessandro's - the level of detail they brought out was really impressive

I can't wait to get stuck into them, really need to find a good source of tonewood in Ireland though.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #4,480 of 5,004
Shipped on the 7th arrived on the 14th! was great didn't get caught at customs either

you should have a look at picking up a Fiio E7 to use as a DAC with the laptop as it will give you better output than the one in the laptop if its a generic AC97 chip

Sorry about the off topic guys will stop now

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4,481 of 5,004

Quote:
 You could "quarter mod" the ear pads to open up the foam areas, if you'd like.  

On a related note, is there any proven/convenient way to make sure that the quarter modded hole is more or less (read: absolutely) centered?
sorry I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this kind of things...
biggrin.gif

thought I'd have to start from somewhere with the modding to my less than one day old sr60i's, even tho boss/work is not being too kind these days

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #4,483 of 5,004
Given the difficulty trying to get "cheap" american tonewoods round here, am thinking of either trying to get mahogany or black walnut (still very expensive though).

Typical Irish pricing on them

Cocobolo would be my preferred choice based upon Bilavideo's experience with it but just can't get it over here.

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4,484 of 5,004

Awwwh :/
What kinda prices are they at?
Quote:
Given the difficulty trying to get "cheap" american tonewoods round here, am thinking of either trying to get mahogany or black walnut (still very expensive though).

Typical Irish pricing on them

Cocobolo would be my preferred choice based upon Bilavideo's experience with it but just can't get it over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back