SR60-Mod
May 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4,066 of 5,004

Quote:
well, in that case I won't tell you the fact that headphones are more of a stepping stone or a way to get buy until I get a well established job in the medical field. I intend to have a listening room dedicated to music and a very nice vinyl rig and speakers.. in all honesty, if the money was there... I wouldn't regret spending 60k on a speaker set up, so long as they sounded as good as they should. I will spend more on audio than I probably will on real estate by the time I'm through with my life. But, think about it.. has any house, car, object really made me as happy as good audio equipment and a great album? Absolutely not. I'd buy a 60k speaker before i'd buy an extra car or pay to have a pool.

Priorities, everyone has them

True.  It's all about priorities.  About 5 years ago, I visited a local audio shop that sold the Wilson Maxx 2 speakers.  I believe they were $60K a pair.  The salesman that I was working with said they sold 3 pairs through their store after they were released.  Actually, one of the customers happened to be a U.S. Postal employee.  I guess you think that it would just be doctors and lawyers buying speakers for that kind of coin.  However, it was just someone who loved his music enough to bring them into his life.

May 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #4,067 of 5,004

Quote:
Whenever we quote someone on here can we edit out the pictures that aren't important to avoid having to look through a wall of pictures twice? It makes it look neater and I will be more likely to read your response instead of skip over it. Just a thought.

i usually try to do that. it slips every once in a while though.

May 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #4,068 of 5,004

Quote:
Yes you can edit the pics out of a quote.

No I kind of meant as a new rule of thumb for the thread that whenever we quote someone that used a bunch of pictures that we should remove the pictures to make it easier to read.

May 29, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4,069 of 5,004
I just found the manufaktur site at Beyer--dare I have a set made to compare my Modded Grado's against???  Oh yeah!!!!!!

May 29, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #4,070 of 5,004

Quote:
I just found the manufaktur site at Beyer--dare I have a set made to compare my Modded Grado's against???  Oh yeah!!!!!!

I'm getting some Fostex's to mod to see if i can give mine a run for their money. The fostexs are more known for neutrality and smoothness though. I think my modded grados will forever have a place upon my head.

May 29, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #4,071 of 5,004
2 questions

1) to those of you out there with wooden cups.. How many holes punched do you feel is perfect? 

2) do you think a wooden cup would look silly without a screen or that I can have it designed in a way that it can look good without one? As far as I'm concerned a screen is just impeding air flow. its there for aesthetics only.. Aesthetics and to keep people from sticking their fingers in. I luckily don't have to worry about the latter part seeing as I do that myself all the time lol. 

P.S. This weekend i bought a pair of ksc75s, fostex t50rp and dun dun dunnnn!  an audio gd sparrow (a version) dac/amp. I will no longer be buying audio products.. I'll continue to mod (mostly the fostex's once my grados and portapros/ksc75's whichever I put silver on are done.) Just so you guys know.. There is a chance I might become more scarce around head-fi the more I'm on here the more I buy things. I really need to focus my efforts/money more on college and building a computer from here on out. :D

May 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #4,072 of 5,004

Quote:
2 questions

1) to those of you out there with wooden cups.. How many holes punched do you feel is perfect? 

2) do you think a wooden cup would look silly without a screen or that I can have it designed in a way that it can look good without one? As far as I'm concerned a screen is just impeding air flow. its there for aesthetics only.. Aesthetics and to keep people from sticking their fingers in. I luckily don't have to worry about the latter part seeing as I do that myself all the time lol. 

P.S. This weekend i bought a pair of ksc75s, fostex t50rp and dun dun dunnnn!  an audio gd sparrow (a version) dac/amp. I will no longer be buying audio products.. I'll continue to mod (mostly the fostex's once my grados and portapros/ksc75's whichever I put silver on are done.) Just so you guys know.. There is a chance I might become more scarce around head-fi the more I'm on here the more I buy things. I really need to focus my efforts/money more on college and building a computer from here on out. :D

You sound like me a year ago.

May 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #4,074 of 5,004

Quote:
2 questions

Outstanding Chris, I'll be interested to hear your impressions on some of the gear you cobbled together this weekend. I think you're on to something just leaving the grill out. I took the grill out of the 225 I modded other day and it sounds more open. I just tinkered with my 60's too. vented all ten holes, removed the loin cloth (something I'd been reluctant to do), and removed the felt cap I had on the back of the magnet. It definitely seems warmer than it was and the bass isnt overwhelming at all.

May 29, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #4,075 of 5,004

2 questions

Two holes is understated, a minimalist mod that some people like.  Four holes is the most popular configuration.  I vent all the holes.  On one project, I vented more than the ten that were there.  I started punching in holes.  There must have been 20 by the time I was done.  I'm not so sure that was the most careful approach, but I just had to do it.  It didn't improve the bass at all but I did feel like there was a significant upgrade in clarity.

The felt is there to arrest the standing waves that create a kind of top-of-the-crystal-goblet ring-ring-ring when you vent all the way, particularly if you stay with plastic and fail to damp the rear of the magnet plate.  The problem with it is the degree to which it restricts air flow.  You can't get decent bass without sufficient airflow, unless you have an amp that pushes it.  

About going screenless, screens are just for aesthetics.  They make the back of the headphone look like the front of a speaker, which is really cool. As aesthetics goes, screens do add a lot of value to the look and feel of the headphone.  They're not necessary, not with contemporary drivers.  If the driver were a paper cone, it would make sense to protect it but with the magnet plate and the driver back adding protection, there's no need for the screens.

On the flip side, the more open the screen, the less a difference it makes.  I honestly think that certain screens are intended to be somewhat opaque, to add a midbass kick.  They're really providing a semi-open experience.  The K701 is like that.  So is the traditional button job on some of the older Grados.

You asked if a shell could be made to look cool without a screen.  Absolutely.  Make it look like you went screenless on purpose.  What if you make it look like a soundhole on a guitar.  You could even string four guitar strings, cut to the size of the hole and strung horizontally, to do up a cool guitar theme.  You could do a violin theme with a smaller hole, giving yourself enough space on each side to carve those f-like sound holes you see in pairs across the face of a violin, viola, cello or string bass.

About you being scarce in time, that's to be understood.  Headfi can become a source of internet addiction.  I had these period where I was on the site all the time.  Been there, done that.  There's nothing wrong with taking a sabbatical for your mental (and financial health).

May 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4,076 of 5,004

Quote:

Outstanding Chris, I'll be interested to hear your impressions on some of the gear you cobbled together this weekend. I think you're on to something just leaving the grill out. I took the grill out of the 225 I modded other day and it sounds more open. I just tinkered with my 60's too. vented all ten holes, removed the loin cloth (something I'd been reluctant to do), and removed the felt cap I had on the back of the magnet. It definitely seems warmer than it was and the bass isnt overwhelming at all.

it was actually your set up and a post you made that made me look into this amp :) and then i found a deal on it... and I bought it. lol

May 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4,077 of 5,004
I'm at the point where after I get a bunch of medical bills (got hit by a car on my bike last week, sucked!) taken care of, I just want to build a nice and unique M³ and get a vinyl setup established as well. After that, I'm taking a long break from buying audio stuff.

I'll mod my Grados and Fostex T-50RPs (which I haven't even started on yet, only had them about a week), but I really need to save money for my double bass and some car stuff. I'll have a nice computer cans setup (WASAPI optical to Matrix Cube to M³) a nice vinyl set-up, and I'm totally happy with my speaker setup as it is (Source [Vinyl or DAC] to H/K PM 665 to DA PS-10s). I have a Mini³ I built for on the go, a couple nice IEMS, a couple DAPs, I'm pretty happy now! I just can't wait to get my Grados back!

That said, I'm sure that after a year or so, I'll start buying things again and be want more and more out of my system, haha.

May 29, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #4,078 of 5,004

Quote:
I'm at the point where after I get a bunch of medical bills (got hit by a car on my bike last week, sucked!) taken care of, I just want to build a nice and unique M³ and get a vinyl setup established as well. After that, I'm taking a long break from buying audio stuff.

Sorry to hear of your accident.  It sounds like you might need a personal injury lawyer to get involved.  After all, you don't want to work your whole life away do you?  A nice, 6-figure pay-out should allow you to work part-time for a number of years and attend to the activities you enjoy.  
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #4,079 of 5,004

Quote:

Two holes is understated, a minimalist mod that some people like.  Four holes is the most popular configuration.  I vent all the holes.  On one project, I vented more than the ten that were there.  I started punching in holes.  There must have been 20 by the time I was done.  I'm not so sure that was the most careful approach, but I just had to do it.  It didn't improve the bass at all but I did feel like there was a significant upgrade in clarity.

The felt is there to arrest the standing waves that create a kind of top-of-the-crystal-goblet ring-ring-ring when you vent all the way, particularly if you stay with plastic and fail to damp the rear of the magnet plate.  The problem with it is the degree to which it restricts air flow.  You can't get decent bass without sufficient airflow, unless you have an amp that pushes it.  

About going screenless, screens are just for aesthetics.  They make the back of the headphone look like the front of a speaker, which is really cool. As aesthetics goes, screens do add a lot of value to the look and feel of the headphone.  They're not necessary, not with contemporary drivers.  If the driver were a paper cone, it would make sense to protect it but with the magnet plate and the driver back adding protection, there's no need for the screens.

On the flip side, the more open the screen, the less a difference it makes.  I honestly think that certain screens are intended to be somewhat opaque, to add a midbass kick.  They're really providing a semi-open experience.  The K701 is like that.  So is the traditional button job on some of the older Grados.

You asked if a shell could be made to look cool without a screen.  Absolutely.  Make it look like you went screenless on purpose.  What if you make it look like a soundhole on a guitar.  You could even string four guitar strings, cut to the size of the hole and strung horizontally, to do up a cool guitar theme.  You could do a violin theme with a smaller hole, giving yourself enough space on each side to carve those f-like sound holes you see in pairs across the face of a violin, viola, cello or string bass.

About you being scarce in time, that's to be understood.  Headfi can become a source of internet addiction.  I had these period where I was on the site all the time.  Been there, done that.  There's nothing wrong with taking a sabbatical for your mental (and financial health).

you know.. Your right. when I cover up the holes with my foam it takes the bass back a notch, just on impact but it also effects the highs. Basically, the more holes that are open the more upper and lower register you get. with the plastic.. I think 4 is perfect. enough to keep the music fun, but not too bassy or shrill. Just my personal opinion. I removed the screens so i could A/B very quickly.

also, freaking awesome idea about making it look like a guitar. I'll turn this around in my head a bit. If i don't do it, I sure hope someone else does.

Quote:

I'll mod my Grados and Fostex T-50RPs (which I haven't even started on yet, only had them about a week), but I really need to save money for my double bass and some car stuff. I'll have a nice computer cans setup (WASAPI optical to Matrix Cube to M³) a nice vinyl set-up, and I'm totally happy with my speaker setup as it is (Source [Vinyl or DAC] to H/K PM 665 to DA PS-10s). I have a Mini³ I built for on the go, a couple nice IEMS, a couple DAPs, I'm pretty happy now! I just can't wait to get my Grados back!

That said, I'm sure that after a year or so, I'll start buying things again and be want more and more out of my system, haha.

I want a vinyl set up so bad. It's just too damn expensive for vinyl let alone the equipment. I guess I'll reserve it until I have enough money to throw around :)

May 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #4,080 of 5,004

Quote:
you know.. Your right. when I cover up the holes with my foam it takes the bass back a notch, just on impact but it also effects the highs. Basically, the more holes that are open the more upper and lower register you get. with the plastic.. I think 4 is perfect. enough to keep the music fun, but not too bassy or shrill. Just my personal opinion. I removed the screens so i could A/B very quickly.

also, freaking awesome idea about making it look like a guitar. I'll turn this around in my head a bit. If i don't do it, I sure hope someone else does.

I want a vinyl set up so bad. It's just too damn expensive for vinyl let alone the equipment. I guess I'll reserve it until I have enough money to throw around :)

agh crap.. some stuff sounds better without the felt, some with.. I think once I up my source and cable and cups.. I'll be ready for all 10 holes again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back