SR60-Mod
May 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3,856 of 5,004

Quote:
btw, does aluminium cups make the sound less dark than wood cups? Im guessing this because of the high resonance of the wood. but if anyone can share some experience please.

James, That's actually a good question.  Actually, I believe the aluminum cups may tend to make the bass sound a bit more "metallic" versus "natural" like it would sound with music as in a musical instrument.   I do often swap between my stock SR-325i Grados and my "woody" modified SR-225 headphones.  They do have different sound characters.  I like the SR-325i for various reasons.  However, I love the SR-225 for many other reasons for how it tends to treat the music.  However, the SR-225 headphones have more mods - opened holes, felt installed, Dynamat, etc., so it's kind of hard to really say that my comparisons can be truly an aluminum vs. wood comparison.  However, I am awaiting wooden "liners" from Bilavideo for my SR-325i headphones that I intend to install.  This will allow me to keep the classy look of my Grado "Goldies" but offer some of the tone benefits of wood with the liners - or, at least that's my hope.

Oh, and don't take my comments that I make regarding color choices too seriously.  During my daily routine, I work in a very "politically correct" environment and I find it hard at times because one can't really joke a little bit without it possibly offending someone.  However, here on the forums, when the opportunity exists to make such a comment, I'll step up and take it.  Though I never mean it in such a bad way or to hurt anyone's feelings.  I'm just glad that forums exist for us to "vent" a little bit from all the political correctness that many of us live within during our daily lives.  

May 15, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #3,857 of 5,004
Where do I get the wooden Jaben ones, I look all over the website and zilch ???

May 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #3,859 of 5,004
Quote:
...........  Actually, I believe the aluminum cups may tend to make the bass sound a bit more "metallic" versus "natural" like it would sound with music as in a musical instrument.   I do often swap between my stock SR-325i Grados and my "woody" modified SR-225 headphones.  They do have different sound characters.................  

I'd like to try a combination of aluminum and wood shells some day.......

May 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #3,860 of 5,004
May 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #3,861 of 5,004
Morning!

Quote:
I did several mods on my SR-80 and like the results. The only problem is that I went too fast on the hole punch mod and did not like the results with 10 holes. I originally went with 4 I think, but somehow just went overkill. With 10 there is too much mid-bass on my pair. It's very bloated sounding.

You know how some headphones have thin fabric paper covering holes around the driver? What is this? Does this also block out air completely or limit the air getting into the driver? What material can you buy that is the same thing? Masking tape?

My thought exactly, 10 holes is too much for a SR80, Im also planning to cover some holes back, maybe 8 or 6 in each side.

Quote:
When I was looking around for metal cups a year or 2 ago, that was when Jaben released these cups for sale, I didn't like the colour though my gf naturally did, so I looked around for other options, but there were none!! strange ain't it.

hahaha don't worry so much about your colour choices though, if you like it get it. today I was considering the possibility of pink cups for myself =D

The red might look better in person, if not I remember somebody here who removed the color and polish them, right? lol pink cups... more "Liberance edition"?

Quote:
James, That's actually a good question.  Actually, I believe the aluminum cups may tend to make the bass sound a bit more "metallic" versus "natural" like it would sound with music as in a musical instrument.   I do often swap between my stock SR-325i Grados and my "woody" modified SR-225 headphones.  They do have different sound characters.  I like the SR-325i for various reasons.  However, I love the SR-225 for many other reasons for how it tends to treat the music.  However, the SR-225 headphones have more mods - opened holes, felt installed, Dynamat, etc., so it's kind of hard to really say that my comparisons can be truly an aluminum vs. wood comparison.  However, I am awaiting wooden "liners" from Bilavideo for my SR-325i headphones that I intend to install.  This will allow me to keep the classy look of my Grado "Goldies" but offer some of the tone benefits of wood with the liners - or, at least that's my hope.

Oh, and don't take my comments that I make regarding color choices too seriously.  During my daily routine, I work in a very "politically correct" environment and I find it hard at times because one can't really joke a little bit without it possibly offending someone.  However, here on the forums, when the opportunity exists to make such a comment, I'll step up and take it.  Though I never mean it in such a bad way or to hurt anyone's feelings.  I'm just glad that forums exist for us to "vent" a little bit from all the political correctness that many of us live within during our daily lives.  

Gues I'm gonna find that out when i have both of my grados moded, better if it was the same  model with the same mods but the cups, but I dont think Im getting me another SR80, maybe a sr60 since I am not sure if mod my alessandro MS1, i like it too much the way it is.

And yeah i was kidding too, but i am planing to use yellow HD414 pads for sure, of course I'd get some better color to match the wood if I could. maybe I'd try to dye them.
Unlike you I work in a place where those kinds of joke are totally common, well its a mine in a mountain and 600 people work here, 95% are men "politically correct" is not even a play of words and puns are our little dose of everyday humor. you'd be blushed 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

random post? 
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #3,865 of 5,004
James-  Hehehehe....sometimes I just pop up and leave a little graffiti , there not announcements, more like "Ed-ments"..........I'm goofy today, sorry!!
atsmile.gif
<----- I love this smiley face guy, where would I find a large version???

May 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3,866 of 5,004
Maybe get yourself a pair of those headphones and take a pic in a mirror
wink.gif

I don't have the Jaben cups, but I know from my days goofing with RC cars that oven cleaner in a bowl will strip the annodizing in like 10 minutes. I used "soot be gone" oven/grill spray I think. Afterwards they will need to be polished though (or "brushed" with a scouring pad)

May 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #3,867 of 5,004
I'M GOING ALL IN

Saturday was spent cutting, sanding, lathing and lacquering but the purchase of that milling vise threw everything for a loop.  It takes up so much vertical space that it wouldn't fit underneath my 10" drill press.  My wife suggested I just take it back.  My son suggested I remove the bed and work from the bottom of the machine.  Instead, I bought this:

My wallet is now on fire.  Talk about two steps forward, three steps back!  But at least my vise (or should I say "vice") now has room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back