SR60-Mod
Feb 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #1,621 of 5,004
A frend will sell me a Mogami 2534 in Canada. I thought that "All cables is good", but wile i wait i made a bicableated original and guitarra best cable in my town, now i can compare inmediately and i note real differences!. I was surprised!. Now i know the cable may modulate the sound and i think improve.
https://picasaweb.google.com/franciscocabillasmartinez

/ModdingsGradoHeadphonesAuriculares?authkey=Gv1sRgCIT8hOf3iLWU5AE#5574754744741627250
Grado´s cable is very simple compared with mogami, canare or cardas, they are te most valorated here. It dont have shield and the interior cables are paralel rather than stranding but the copper i dont know.

Greetings from Spain.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #1,622 of 5,004

Quote:
A frend will sell me a Mogami 2534 in Canada. I thought that "All cables is good", but wile i wait i made a bicableated original and guitarra best cable in my town, now i can compare inmediately and i note real differences!. I was surprised!. Now i know the cable may modulate the sound and i think improve.
https://picasaweb.google.com/franciscocabillasmartinez

/ModdingsGradoHeadphonesAuriculares?authkey=Gv1sRgCIT8hOf3iLWU5AE#5574754744741627250
Grado´s cable is very simple compared with mogami, canare or cardas, they are te most valorated here. It dont have shield and the interior cables are paralel rather than stranding but the copper i dont know.

Greetings from Spain.

Parallel is preferred in literally every audio application.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,623 of 5,004

Quote:
I may try two cables, one with 4 and one with 8 conductors and see. Do you think 4 x 24awg is too small or there shouldn't be a problem.... But at this point is it any better than the stock Grado cable?

Not too small at all. It is what Mogami uses for example.

There is no truth about cables. Let no one tell you otherwise. Some people believe thinner wires are better, because of the skin effect and some people believe thicker wire is better, because well, it's thicker. ;p

I have seen people here doing recables with crazy wire. Crazy because of the price, thickness and usability. For instance, I would never recable with solid wire. It is stiff as hell. Usability should be your main concern. A good cable is flexible and built properly.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,624 of 5,004
Escuseme, really i dont know, i just repeat what the experts say here in my forum about this. When i have my mogami i could speak from my self.
I think they are stranding
http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=5602
another

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,625 of 5,004
Thanks a lot Mr. Bilavideo, I've just punched six holes in my SR80i and am currently listening to the results and considering more holes. I'm enjoying the Grado sound a lot, coming from a long line of Sennheisers, but I sometimes with the Grados had a tad more bass.
Also, what's up with the quarter mod? Should I? I think the mids and highs are just great the way they are, really. Should I just stick to punching more holes? Will it screw up the FR? 

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #1,627 of 5,004
How you make the holes?, is it dangerous?

For the quarter mod or the punching? Punch mod, grab a pen and hit the holes and the pen will get stuck prior to hitting mylar. As long as you're not losing most of your felt inside the diaphragm, you're completely fine.

Quarter mod poses no threat other than having a ugly out of round hole, or if you really screw up, a dead cushion, but that's not too likely with your craftsmanship.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,628 of 5,004
Well, I said six holes.. I vented the drivers with a pen, like described above, didn't touch the cushions yet. I'm listening right now and I'd risk punching another hole in each side, to make four and four. OTOH, I like tight and controlled bass in my headphones.. What would you guys suggest?

edit: Just did the fourth hole. Perfect sound balance! Now to enjoy the results.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #1,630 of 5,004
Everybody has been posting their pics but due to technical difficulties (broken camera) I didnt get to show mine off. Anyway these are my mooded 60's with Cocobolo and jumbo's hanging out with my HF2's.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #1,631 of 5,004
Hey guys..been in the Hospital...couldn't walk.. Peripheral Nueropothy...I'm now a cripple but I got great tunes.
I have a walker, pain meds, good meds...get released 2/26 my 53rd birthday..Saturday.
Going home to my grado's hopefully some bill Coccobola shells are there and fun will ensue..
I'm back, home Saturday....friggin made it!!!
 Phew!!! I really thought I was toast..like cooked..I didn't eat for ten days, puke and runs and zero potassium when I arrived in ER last week..
Now I'm in Moss Rehab at Sacred Heart Hospital in Allentown....they are exactly what I needed. God send, miracle most likely...
BillaGrado's here I come baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o2smile.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,633 of 5,004
I too am interested in this

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #1,634 of 5,004
So I finished recabling and modding my MS1is

It's Mogami 2893, Nylon Multifilament covered with a Qables y-split and terminated in a Neutrik NP3X-B 6.3mm

This is my first recable job. I also made a 4m extension cable that's matches the style of the main cable and has a locking Neutrik socket.

I also installed zinc plated set-screw collars onto the gimbal rods to secure the cups in place. IMO it makes the headphones actually look better too.

And whilst I'm at it I also made some Mogami RCA cables (matching again)

I'm definitely a cable believer now. The headphone recable was a smaller difference, but replacing the RCA cables had a HUGE impact on the sound that was noticeable instantly (I had a cheapish Profigold PROA4200 cable there before)

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,635 of 5,004

Quote:
Hey guys..been in the Hospital...couldn't walk.. Peripheral Nueropothy...I'm now a cripple but I got great tunes.
I have a walker, pain meds, good meds...get released 2/26 my 53rd birthday..Saturday.
Going home to my grado's hopefully some bill Coccobola shells are there and fun will ensue..
I'm back, home Saturday....friggin made it!!!
 Phew!!! I really thought I was toast..like cooked..I didn't eat for ten days, puke and runs and zero potassium when I arrived in ER last week..
Now I'm in Moss Rehab at Sacred Heart Hospital in Allentown....they are exactly what I needed. God send, miracle most likely...
BillaGrado's here I come baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o2smile.gif

Best of luck with a speedy recovery, I hope the Coco helps take your mind off things. And hang in there, who knows what Bila and his consorts will cook up next!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back