SR60-Mod
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #708 of 5,004
I just got some SR60's from a great guy here at head-fi and I started doing these mods...so far, new earpasds, took off the white linen over driver, next is the holes.
On the holes do you just poke through and thats it, or do you poke through and really open up that hole?? Follow me??
 Thanks you guys for this thread, awesome stuff.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #709 of 5,004

Quote:
I just got some SR60's from a great guy here at head-fi and I started doing these mods...so far, new earpasds, took off the white linen over driver, next is the holes.
On the holes do you just poke through and thats it, or do you poke through and really open up that hole?? Follow me??
 Thanks you guys for this thread, awesome stuff.

Congrats on the SR60. You're on your way to real kick-a$$ stuff.

As for the venting part, you should really open up the hole. I know I did. And as Bill suggested, a ball point pen does the job nicely. Have fun and keep us posted on your progress and findings.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #710 of 5,004

Quote:
SHIMMING THE GAPS

I finally got the thread to work.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qze3Gjke30

Don't waste your time with it unless you are worried about gaps between the outer and inner shell sizes, or you have only seven minutes left to live - and you want them to feel like an eternity.

On the contrary, it was the best seven minutes of my day :) Solid video Bill.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #711 of 5,004
A little update on me modding my SR-80i.

At first I removed the linen, replaced the grill with a metal one, punched all 10 holes and was using the quarter modded comfies. As a result, I personally thought the bass was a little too much (to my ears at least)...

While everything else was better (HF and Mids), I thought the bass was a bit too heavy for my taste so I decided to switch to using the bowl pads and what do you know, the bass has tamed down a bit while still being really present and It kept the nice HF and Mids. I think the bowls what were missing to the equation.

Next up is the Dynamat or Blu-tack to see how that affects sounds... 

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #712 of 5,004
Hahahhah....4 holes baby...I can't believe I actually had the balls to do it...thanks to all who did this before me and reported back if too many holes was too much, I figured start with four and I can always go back for more. LOL...it sounds even better.....You guys made an old man smile today!!!!!
 Thanks
 Ed
gs1000.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #713 of 5,004
good job! now with the dynamat mod, i dont know if this is just my ears, but i noticed that having too thick of dynamat or blue tack  can affect the sound quality from too sharp to more controlled. but give it a try and see if my findings are not that accurate. have fun!

Quote:
A little update on me modding my SR-80i.

At first I removed the linen, replaced the grill with a metal one, punched all 10 holes and was using the quarter modded comfies. As a result, I personally thought the bass was a little too much (to my ears at least)...

While everything else was better (HF and Mids), I thought the bass was a bit too heavy for my taste so I decided to switch to using the bowl pads and what do you know, the bass has tamed down a bit while still being really present and It kept the nice HF and Mids. I think the bowls what were missing to the equation.

Next up is the Dynamat or Blu-tack to see how that affects sounds... 

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #717 of 5,004
Jan 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #718 of 5,004
Those are awesome!!!! I must say.....hmmmm...

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #720 of 5,004

Quote:
I wasn't too impressed with the SR325i either. It was definitely nice but it sounded a bit too metallic and sharp to my ears. With all the recent mods for Grados I really felt the urge to buy a SR-225 or SR325, though it will have to wait as I have way too many headphones right now :)
Anyway with these mods it would be interesting to mod them the MS1000 way. With opening holes and lining the pads I am sure you can combine the speed and resolution of the SR325 with the benefits from the MS1000 mod (soundstage, more layers, more audiophile bass).

So if I understand correctly, there is a plastic ring inside the metal cups of the SR-325 and that when you remove it, you will get better sound? Why did Grado put the ring in there in the first place? :p

I sold my MS1i and bought a new MS1, mostly because it's more compact (arrived today; dang you customs and service charges). After burn-in, I'm venting! . If I muster up the courage, I'll be modding my 325i after that, I'm curious how the ring affects the sound. Either way, from reading the last few posts, the mods seem quite reversible.

@ apatN, if I go through with modding the 325, I'm sure we can work something out so you can give it a spin...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back