SR60-Mod part II
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,801 of 3,353

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
I'm going to have to learn Spanish just so that I can join that forum and follow their Grado threads... Google Translate is just not cutting it
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #1,804 of 3,353

Alcaudon

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Posts
204
Likes
35


Quote:
I'm going to have to learn Spanish just so that I can join that forum and follow their Grado threads... Google Translate is just not cutting it

 
If other fellow head-fiers are interested in the manufacturing process of this pair of headphones, I'll be pleased to post a translation of the original thread that I started at the spanish forum (though I believe that the pictures themselves are quite self explanatory). I’ll be happy if some of you find anything of what I’ve done useful 
smile.gif
.
 
By the way.... learning Spanish can also be considered a DIY project, markkr
wink.gif
.
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,805 of 3,353

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 3, 2010
Posts
1,111
Likes
25


Quote:
Thanks for that Brian.  Especially enjoyed the second clip.  Surprised you didn't link one of the clips you'd posted in other thread (Bonamassa at  Albert Hall) - they were truly magic (I will forever be indebted - just recently bought "Live From Nowhere In particular" 
biggrin.gif
).
 
Anyway - I know most of you guys are probably more interested in the wood mods, but I thought I'd contribute my progress to date .....


Interesting approach Paul...modding toward the HF2, PS1000 config rather than a woody...I like it. I'm glad your digging Joe too. He's my absolute favorite. I've been hooked since the first time I heard him. He was referring to a beautiful woman in this one, but I think Cabillas' chromed Grado is a good stand in.
 
You Upset Me Baby
 
And the Jumbos are sort of a mixed bag but they do make for a comfortable session. They provide a very laid back presentation and more sound stage. I had them on the other night listening to someone Wayne turned me on to, Cassandra Wilson. They work great for acoustic and jazz. For stuff like Bonamassa they just take awy too much of the energy
 
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,806 of 3,353

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA


Quote:
One think I'm noticing as I move away from "rock" and into jazzy/world/classical tunes with these MS1s is an effect that was already hinted at me previously, but I was too focused on listening to other things is the fact that these cans have a sort of playing field with the musical presentation that changes as the "front" instrument comes out.
 

 
Many moons ago, I used to be into heavy metal and hard rock.  I thought that was the only music worth listening to.  Then, one day about 15 years ago came about.  I had to do some painting in my previous house.  I ended up turning on the smooth jazz station to listen to while working.  I felt as though the music allowed me to really focus on my work.  Had I listened to the hard rock, I don't think my focus would have been quite as precise.  Then, I slowly turned over to smooth jazz as I began to really appreciate the instruments, the sounds and the separation that took place.  Often, this was hard to achieve with harder rock music - which sort of just clumped together.  I bought lots of smooth jazz CDs so I could listen beyond the realm of what the radio station would offer.
 
Eventually, I did get a bit bored with the smooth jazz because there was a limited amount of it and most retailers just had a very small selection of the CDs in their stores.  So, I expanded into other areas of jazz and took on more blues, too.  Now, I have a much greater appreciation for a wider assortment of music from the jazz and blues artists that are out there.  I'll have to admit, most of the music I have loaded on the Sony walkman player with the FioO amp sounds pretty darn nice with my Grados.  If it were not for music, I don't think many of us would be modifying our Grados just to listen to books on tape.  
biggrin.gif

 
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,807 of 3,353
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Posts
13,315
Likes
24,310
@ Brian - thanks for the Cassandra Wilson tip - will search her out tonight.
Hopefully within the next 4-6 weeks (depending on finances) I'll have liberated drivers in wooden cups + options (slip on) for wood, aluminium, and even plastic (lol).  Then combine that with jumbos, bowls, or flats - and I've got a fun platform to experiment with.  I've found so far that with the Aluminium I have more emphasis across the spectrum (the venting probably helped the lows).  I'm really hoping that with aluminium + wood + jumbos - I won't lose to much energy, and it might just become a great all rounder.  If not - I can always just sub the jumbos for the bowls if I want to listen to faster paced blues or rock.
 
@ Wayne - much the same.  My drift toward smooth jazz, modern jazz has really only been in the last year or so.  I absolutely love female vocals on the MS1is - the warmth and expression of the mids just really gels to me.  I always intended for the Alessandros to be a chance to experience something from the Grado family - but I thought it would be a small side-step only - a bit of fun modding, but probably steadily trying other brands until I found something I really liked.  What I didn't expect was to currently have the DT880's the SRH940's and the MS1is - and to be choosing between the Beyers and Shures for which one to sell and finance my next mods 
wink.gif
.  I'd never give up my MS1is now.
 
OK - another song - totally different but I love it on the MS1is - Sia "Don't Bring Me Down" - it's from her Lady Croissant album.  The live version is the one you want - should be on youtube.
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,808 of 3,353

chrislangley4253

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 16, 2009
Posts
2,509
Likes
52
I think I'm going to step away from head-fi for a while guys. feel free to send me a pm anytime, but I'm going to stop keeping up on threads and endlessly researching headphones for a while. 
 
Happy Modding as always. 
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #1,809 of 3,353

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA
Chris,
 
At times, we all need a break.   However, you need to focus on your studies.  Getting your degree will mean a more promising future.  Completing that goal should be your focus.  I don't think anything monumental will happen that you'll miss.  We'll all keep churning along with the usual upgrades.
 
Take care,
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,810 of 3,353

schwallman

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 5, 2010
Posts
1,167
Likes
21
It does get old chris. This is the first time since friday I checked out a thread. Its actually nice to grab a cd instead of a soldering iron.
Quote:
I think I'm going to step away from head-fi for a while guys. feel free to send me a pm anytime, but I'm going to stop keeping up on threads and endlessly researching headphones for a while. 
 
Happy Modding as always. 



 
 
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,811 of 3,353

baka1969

Chaser of Ghosts
Joined
Sep 20, 2008
Posts
3,443
Likes
84
Does anyone remember? A while back I had seen a Grado with a brown gator/croc headband. It had wood cups and velor pads also. It was really decadent looking Grado. 1) Does anyone remember it? 2) Where would I get that headband? I thought it was a gorgeous Grado. To me anyway. :)
 
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #1,812 of 3,353

stratocaster

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Posts
506
Likes
110
Grado driver goes kinky
 
As posted some pages back I have been experimenting with the felt covering at the back of my vented drivers in order to regain the balance. I have had good results with some sort of felt that seemed to let the right amount of air pass. The same can be said about a material that those of you who are interested will find easy to get hold of and that has the right color: use a black nylon pantyhose! The material is just perfect. It is easy to stretch, easy to apply, and it is very breathable. And it sounds good. The balance is there, the bass is great, a little bit more pronounced than stock, but still not overwhelming. But what I like most is the mids and the instrument separation!
 
The only thing you have to be aware of: You might need to explain to your lady what you are doing in her drawer!!
 
EDIT: I had all the holes of my drivers opened before I applied the covering material. So I had the same covering for all holes, with a consistent  airflow through all of them.
 
Aug 30, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,813 of 3,353

DigitalFreak

镇老鹰
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Posts
7,076
Likes
768


Quote:
I'll try and check out Melody Gardot - never even heard about "it". All the others I got them covered already and love them - Nils recording is just perfect for Grados; Bonamassa is a new staple on my collection though and still on a first listen basis as I got a few of them in one sitting, very, very good stuff :)
 
I've got many hundreds of LPs and CDs of most genres, so maybe I'll try and post some great ones as time goes by here, I mean recordings and artists that you don't see discussed often on these boards anyway.

My thoughts exactly!
 
 


If you like Gardot's Worrisome Heart CD you should immediately grab her My One And Only Thrill CD it's worth every penny in my book. The song Who Will Comfort Me sounds killer on my SR60's. Since we're talking music you guys should also check out Alain Caron. He's a jazz bassist from Canada he's a wonderful artist and his music is excellent for testing out your bass mods on.
 
 
Aug 30, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #1,814 of 3,353

xaval

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Posts
1,231
Likes
54


Quote:
I think I'm going to step away from head-fi for a while guys. feel free to send me a pm anytime, but I'm going to stop keeping up on threads and endlessly researching headphones for a while. 
 
Happy Modding as always. 

I don't think we're on the verge of any breakthrough in Grado modding so it's ok :)
I don't want to sound like a grandpa but if you're about to start really focusing on your studies just think about the many professional opportunities that should be presented to you in the medical area in the future - a good pay for buying the stuff that you want :)
 
Grab a few CDs and enjoy. I have a few hobbies running at the same time and I know how it feels so good to lay off for awhile and be involved on new things. Your absence will be short though :)
 
Quote:
Grado driver goes kinky
 
As posted some pages back I have been experimenting with the felt covering at the back of my vented drivers in order to regain the balance. I have had good results with some sort of felt that seemed to let the right amount of air pass. The same can be said about a material that those of you who are interested will find easy to get hold of and that has the right color: use a black nylon pantyhose! The material is just perfect. It is easy to stretch, easy to apply, and it is very breathable. And it sounds good. The balance is there, the bass is great, a little bit more pronounced than stock, but still not overwhelming. But what I like most is the mids and the instrument separation!
 
The only thing you have to be aware of: You might need to explain to your lady what you are doing in her drawer!!
 
EDIT: I had all the holes of my drivers opened before I applied the covering material. So I had the same covering for all holes, with a consistent  airflow through all of them.

Kinky modding hits the thread. Now Chris will be coming back sooner than he expected lol
 
Quote:
If you like Gardot's Worrisome Heart CD you should immediately grab her My One And Only Thrill CD it's worth every penny in my book. The song Who Will Comfort Me sounds killer on my SR60's. Since we're talking music you guys should also check out Alain Caron. He's a jazz bassist from Canada he's a wonderful artist and his music is excellent for testing out your bass mods on.
 

I'm going to check out a couple music stores around me during lunch break (if I manage to have one on my busy diary!) and see what I can dig up.
 
 
 
 
Aug 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #1,815 of 3,353

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
Joined
Jan 2, 2003
Posts
5,222
Likes
363
Location
Northern VA


Quote:
Does anyone remember? A while back I had seen a Grado with a brown gator/croc headband. It had wood cups and velor pads also. It was really decadent looking Grado. 1) Does anyone remember it? 2) Where would I get that headband? I thought it was a gorgeous Grado. To me anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif


I don't remember seeing that pair.  Perhaps, it was on another thread of this forum, or even on another forum?  I do have some saddle colored crock fabric that I want to make a prototype of and post pictures.  I finally have 3 industrial / commercial machines for sewing (The 1927 Singer and the 1960s Pfaff are going to be refinished / rebuilt) while my Brother is set up and almost ready to roll.  Sadly, the shops near me only sell the larger shank leather needles with one flat side.  I need to find a source for a smaller shank, but round needle so it will properly fit in the Brother.  Then, I'll be OK.  I did some small test sewing of the product the other evening with some needles that were included.  However - they didn't break, but they're still not heavy duty enough to accept my nylon or polysester upholstery / leather threads.  As soon as I find a local source, I'll be moving along again. 
 
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top