SR60 Grado repair?
Aug 22, 2008 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
My Grado SR60 headphones finally bit the dust after an ausive 14 years of use. One channel has stoped working (left). Does anyone know how to disassemble the ear pieces? I suspect it is simply a wire issue, so I was thinking of rewiring them.

Tim

Aug 23, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 12
wow 14 years.... that is a good run!

should definitely repair them, even if just for memory's sake!

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 12
I have the same problem and would like to know how to dis-assemble one of the headphones to see if there is a loose wire that I can solder.  Anyone have any pointers on this I'd greatly appreciate it.  The link above no longer works - called HeadWize ....

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 12
I found a cached version of the HeadWize website and was able to take apart the head piece via the blow drier approach but unfortunately for me the connections were still soldered good so my left earpiece is just dead  here is the cached web page

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xf_eek:pGOuDJZoyEJ:gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php%3Ffile%3Dgrado_prj.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I found a cached version of the HeadWize website and was able to take apart the head piece via the blow drier approach but unfortunately for me the connections were still soldered good so my left earpiece is just dead  here is the cached web page

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xf_eek:pGOuDJZoyEJ:gilmore2.chem.northwestern.edu/projects/showfile.php%3Ffile%3Dgrado_prj.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera

Your driver might not be dead, but rather the cable - you might need a new cable. Cables break, that's just a part of headphone life, but drivers seldom fail. 

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 12
I also have the same problem - the wires are all OK, for there's good connectivity between the phone plug and the solder joints (I was able to test w/o disassembling the earpiece).  It has to be the driver, then, right?  (I'm working on my brother's old SR-60s)

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Nov 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
It has to be the driver, then, right? 

No, not necessarily - the actually physical connections to the drivers and plugs might LOOK good and everything seems to be in order, but there may well be a break in the cable INSIDE the insulation that you can't see - this occurs usually no more than 2cm along the cable from major joints that experience regular flexing. This is common, and the easiest way to repair it, is to cut off the cable by the joint by about 2-3cm and resolder. I've fixed SO many cables this way.

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 12
But I've already established that this isn't the problem - I have good connectivity all the way from the phono plug to both solder joints on the driver.  And the driver is totally dead - no intermittent/scratchy connection like I've experienced with other phones that had cord problems.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
But I've already established that this isn't the problem - I have good connectivity all the way from the phono plug to both solder joints on the driver.  And the driver is totally dead - no intermittent/scratchy connection like I've experienced with other phones that had cord problems.

Have you tried soldering the cable to another set of headphones or another driver that you know functions? - I've had cables with intermittent problems and cables that have totally died on one side. It's not totally out of the question. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 12
No, I haven't had a chance to take the cans apart yet - they're glued.  I'll try it when I get some time - may be a while since I'm doing a show now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back