sr60 and headroom total airhead?
Jun 19, 2004 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dddmt

New Head-Fier
sr80 and headroom total airhead? does this combo make sense?

I'm looking for a headphone/amp combo for a pcdp, and this is what I came up with for $300.

Feedback, please.

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 5
I think this would do you very well. The Grado's are a nice phone and you will appreciate the sound. Other options are going with a JMT built CHA47 or Meta amp or best yet...a used RA-1. Though if you wanted portable combo, then a JMT CHA47 or Meta will do well, the CHA47 in particular does well with the SR80's and provides enough current to get the job done.

Jun 20, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Well, for awhile I was using SR-225s out of an iPod with the new Total Airhead and I didn't really find the amp improved things all that much...at least not enough to justify $200, so I would think the improvement with SR-80s would be even less. I think for $300 you'd be better off buying SR-225s and some flat pads. You can find them for around $180 used or $220 new. Then if you decide you want an amp maybe check out one of the Headsave Vibes that everyone seems to be pretty impressed with (and you could get one and still meet your $300 budget). But I'm not really sure you need an amp; I like my SR-225s fine out of every source I've tried (iPod, Karma, Yamaha receiver, and multiple soundcards and PCDPs). I don't plan on buying an amp until I upgrade my source to a nice cd player.

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Why not get some Alessandro MS-1's, a Headsave Go-vibe, some flatpads, and an IC from either headsave or headphile. Comes to less than $250.
-Mag

Jun 20, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 5
The CHA47 PCB is no longer available, so you'll have to find a used CHA47 from an owner who wants to sell, if that's the direction you want to take. Another suggestion is the new Headsave Go-Vibe ($65), with its stock OPA2227 opamp. I've got one, and a pair of SR60 and a pair of SR225, and they both sound really nice with the Go-Vibe. If $300 is your budget, then for what you can save with the Go-Vibe, you can go for a pair of SR225 instead of the SR80. IMO, SR225 improve a lot more with an amp than the SR60/SR80 do. And the sonic improvement that just the SR225 gives over the SR60/80 is worth the price of the SR225. Since the Grado phones are low impedance, they don't need a lot of amp to make them shine, as the RA-1 shows, just the right amp. And the darker, richer Burr Brown sound of the OPA2227 in the Go-Vibe nicely complements the brighter Grado sound to yield a very good listening experience. Check out the following thread for some detailed information about the Headsave Vibe:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73734

Users who are viewing this thread

Back