SR225 -> RS2? Others?
Aug 29, 2002 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Magicthyse

Better to look good than to sound good!
Well, I think it's time for me to explore the higher end in phones, now I have a decent headphone amp. I'm really, really, really (need I say more) pleased with the SR225 + my current setup combo.

I went in to the shop to ask about the HDJ-1000 avaiability, and they happened to dangle an RS2 in my face. They know me too well now
rolleyes.gif

Seeing how the low end phones can differ so has piqued my curiosity. Are the differences as acute at the $500 US equivalent (i.e. £500 UK) range? What kind of further improvement can I expect?

Aug 29, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Why don't you ask them if you can listen to the rs'1s and hear for yourself?

Biggie.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Seriously, if you are willing to spend $500....just buy the RS-1s online and save yourself the trouble. RS-1s are most often described as the cream of the crop of Grados (with good reason) and pretty well bury the RS-2s in my mind. According to Carlo, the RS-2s are finicky buggers. RS-1s are very versatile. They can be had for $400 used OFTEN and $500 on Audiogon and Ebay all the time.

Good Luck!

Aug 29, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Why don't you ask them if you can listen to the rs'1s and hear for yourself?

Biggie.

Oh, I've every intention of doing so. I'll be trying to persuade them to let me have one on loan. For the purposes of this thread, I was interested in your opinions as to whether phones from other manufacturers about the same proce range could match up or exceed the RS1/2.

And Zanth, I see you're the consummate Grado man - what other stuff did you try before you arrived at that collection?

Aug 30, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Magicthyse:

Before '97, I was using stock panasonic shockwave Vibromojo cans. They were "okay" but I was in school and I wanted better sound as I was listening to headphones non-stop 8-10 hours/day. I did some research, and I came across Headroom (I think, it may have been good cans, I remember an icon that had cans on it and it moved). The site listed the SR-60s as the best portable cans and an amazing entry level can that smoked everything else at its price point. I went to a local Hi-fi shop and bought them. Cost me $146 Canadian at the time. I had them ever since. Then last year for my first anniversary, my wife bought me the RA-1 and for Christmas that same year, she bought me the RS-1s. I was in love with the setup and really felt I had reached the price/performance level that would restrain my urge to "upgrado."

In February of this year, I bought my wife a violin for her birthday. Well...I needed something to block out the sound, the Grados were not doing it. So I went all out and got the Ety 4Ps and the S cable. I ordered a CHA47 from JMT and I was all set for my musical experience.

Things were good, but in the back of my mind I kept getting the feeling that the rumors were true, and those damned, HP-1000s were the best of the best of Grado. I started hunting and I was fortunate enough to get a pair of HP-2s. Then 3 weeks later I came across a seller of HP-1s and bought those too!

This summer I bought the Koss KSC 35s and demoed the Senn HD-600s. I didn't really enjoy the Senns. They were comfy, they were clear but they just didn't do it for me. For a more recessed sound I prefer the HP-1000s FAR MORE. I realize the RS-1s are very forward, not as forward as the other Grados down but still more forward that the HP-1000s.

I have not heard any Beyerdynamics nor any electrostatics. I have heard pretty well all the major Sonys under the CD3000s and the R10s. Some were okay, some were horrible. The F1s are the most comfortable things I have ever placed on my head, but the sound was just not up to par with the RS-1s or the HP1000s.

All in all, I am a Grado man first, and an Ety man second. If I dare to upgrade it will only be the R10s, I don't think I will go for Electrostats, at least not until I heard one
wink.gif

Sep 1, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Magic,

to my ears the RS-2 improves on the the SR-225's sense of decay and a chance to hear the hall on simple, well recorded discs. outside of that i'd take the sr-225 due to its speed, ability to resolve complicated passages, and diversity (i've talked about this before on the forum). the RS-2 gets enough things right to warrant a lengthy audition of the RS-1 (which i may or may not be doing soon), but it simply would never be more than a third (or at least limited use) headphone for me... i passed.

as Zanth stated i think its a picky but gorgeous bitch, my heavily modded anthem pre1l hybrid headphone stage doesn't cut it (where as the SR-225 loves it), the MG Head is okay with it (as opposed to terrible with other grados i've used extensively - 60, 125) and a JMT built cha-47 was decent. the headphone didn't really open up untill trying Audio&Me's eric343 built eta42, when the bottom end decided to solidify and note seperation was an actuallity instead of implied, but my reservations about the headphones never went away.

regards,
carlo.

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Hmmmm....
Thanks a bunch for those responses.

I won't be buying on eBay as my single experience with it was disastrous, and plenty of my friends have been burned. So I'll be paying retail, or whatever discount I can get from the shop -

Usually they're pretty good, they started to carry Beyer phones after I asked, and the DT250-80 I got was only marginally more than the SR60. They've quoted me 'about' £430 for the RS-2 which is about £70 off retail. I'm not really looking to go further, and it depends also on how much I can sell the SR225's for. You know the really funny thing about this shop? The head headphone guy is a Sikh
biggrin.gif

What I needed confirmation on is whether they'll be better for casual listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back