SR225 or HD595
Mar 31, 2005 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

beesje

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

Well I've been lurking for some time now, and have finally made a decision - kind of...

I have decided to go for either the SR225's or the HD595's, in combination with a Total BitHead Amp by HeadRoom. I listen to Rock, Metal, Electronic (Trance, House, Techno), Rap and a bit o' Pop... :) Yup, you see my problem.

The combination will be powered by my iPod when on the road, and by my Mac when at home.

How uncomfortable are the SR225s really? Are the HD595s much more pleasant to wear for extended periods?

The HD595s are originally ca. 90USD more expensive, but can be had for the same price as the SR225s - would this in itself make them the sensible/better option? I.e. a 20k car vs. a 30k car - or is this already at a level where this rationale is no longer applicable?

So, which ones would you go for, and why?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

-B.

PS: These will be my first better headphones, so far I've simply been using my iPod with Shure E2Cs - which has already been a revelation compared to anything I've previously experienced.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 28
heh, that's a tough decision

I honestly use both of them about equally. I would consider the 595s more portable since they stay on your head very well and they also block out slightly more noise, so I guess those are the ones I would go with in your case.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 28
just get dt440 so you don't have to choose.

comfort: 595 > 440 > 225
soundstage: 595 > 440 > 225
bass: 225 > 440 > 595
vocals: 595 > 440 > 225
upfrontness: 225 > 440 > 595
fun factor: 225 > 440 > 595

Having had all 3, dt440 does everything almost as good as 225/595 while not having as much of their weaknesses.

Mar 31, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by beesje
...How uncomfortable are the SR225s really? Are the HD595s much more pleasant to wear for extended periods?

YMMV...my ears were sore after 30min with the Grado; never sore after using the Senn. Sound signatures are way different IMO. Comfort is just one of the variables.

Quote:

The HD595s are originally ca. 90USD more expensive, but can be had for the same price as the SR225s - would this in itself make them the sensible/better option? I.e. a 20k car vs. a 30k car - or is this already at a level where this rationale is no longer applicable?

IMO, no. Original price has no relevance compared to actual price. The most sensible option for you is to try them both. I think they are different sounding. Both are IMO good phones for the price yet different approaches to how to present the sound.

If you like soundstand or comfort, go with Senn. If you really like intensity, go with Grado.

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 28
Thanks for the replies.

Jonoh - I'd love to go out and try listening to them and then make up my mid, but I live in the middle of nowhere (literally), and finding somewhere that stocks them is a bit of a problem...

At the moment I'm inclined to go for the SR225s.

se20dem0n - portability isn't so much of an issue for me, I'm quite happy listening to my E2Cs when I'm out and about.

Can any of you comment on how well the Total BitHead will drive either of these.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 28
I think the Grados are goiing to be more "fun." But they will fatigue you. If you want something that you can listen to for longer periods of time, the the Senns probably are better. But sometimes I feel like I get a more satisfying experience from a shorter time with my Grados.

In other words, get both.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #8 of 28
It should have no problem powering either. Equipment synergy aside, they're both relatively easy to drive.

I own the HD595 and love it, and likewise the SR-60, but I've never heard the SR-225, so I really can't make a direct comparison. I CAN tell you that the HD595 will be far and away more comfortable. I generally can't stand to wear my SR-60s for more than about a half hour at a time (as opposed to the HD595 which I can wear all day nonstop). Some people don't mind the fit and can wear Grados for hours on end, though, so YMMV.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 28
Oh, for sure. I love my SR-60s. I just wish my ears could handle wearing them for longer periods.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 28
Forgive me for crapping here, but..

Helter, how does the AKG 271s compare to the 595? Is it more aggresive and the highs more rolled off? Thinking of getting one to complement my HD 595
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 28
I have MS-1s that I used to take to work and back with me. After a week, my right driver housing fell off the metal rod holding it up. It wore out the hole, and doesn't stay in by itself anymore.

A little epoxy will fix it up, but my point is that you really need to be careful with Grados if you're going to use them on the road a lot. From an audition of an HD-580 I did, I would imagine Senns would fare better.

Just my $0.02.

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

se20dem0n - portability isn't so much of an issue for me, I'm quite happy listening to my E2Cs when I'm out and about.

in that case, I'd probably go with the grados and some senn 414 pads. They're comfortable and you still have that "fun factor"

Mar 31, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 28
I have owned both the 225 and 595. The 225 was in and out my door, the 595 stayed for awhile. IMO, the 595 is the better of the two by far. The 225 has zero soundstage, zero comfort, ear-piercing highs. It works well enough for rock music for a short period of time, but listen longer than maybe 30 minutes, and expect a headache. I never liked it much for electronica, either. The 595 may not be the best can for any of the genres you speak of, but it does an admirable job with all types of music, is incredibly comfortable, has a nice soundstage, and enough aggression to keep it from being boring, without the Grado "crammed down your throat" sound.

Spike offered a good alternative. The DT440 is a nice, mid-ground solution, and not as expensive as either the 225 or the 595.

Mar 31, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 28
I say HD595 as well. I consider it to be a even more fun and balanced sounding than the sr225 (regardless of pads used). The HD595 has problems with bass and high end extension but is very even and lovely sounding in the midrange. The sr225, on the other hand, is lumpy sounding all over especially in the upper bass and upper mids. The sr225 als0 has poor bass extension and an overly warm tonal character.

Also the HD595 is more comfortable and practical if you have to wear it around your neck for short periods of time (the the grado cups tend to swivel and the pads sometime slip off) and also has a thinner cord.

But, if you like a lot of deep bass then you probably won't like either (although you may find the sr225 better in this regard thanks to it's exagerated upper bass).

Yet if fun is what you are looking for I consider the sr80 to be a more thrilling ride than the sr225. To my ears the sr80 does better what Grados do best--provide a fun, in-your-face, fast and flowing sound. In this regard it kills the sr225 and, to my ears, is actually more even across the frequency range and more detailed. The sr225 has the leg up on refinement, though. But, overall, if going Grado I'd take the sr80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back