SR225 initial impressions and comparison with ATH-A900
Dec 11, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
You really need to get flats for your sr225. The difference will amaze you.

I feel like half my posts on Head-Fi are about Flat pads for Grados, like I'm preaching the Gospel of Flat Pads! The reason for this is really simple: I came very close to selling my sr125's before buying some flats from Todd, and I was very very happy that I didn't after I tried them. They really transform the sound. I wonder how may of the people who say they don't care for the sr125's have tried them with the flats? They totally bring out the bass and tame the highs. Smooth it out and make them more balanced. The flats made such a difference it really seemed miraculous.

Get some.
smily_headphones1.gif

...or Senn pads. I feel like half my posts are trying to convince people to try the Senns. They are A LOT cheaper than flats and a good starting point to experiment. The flats have more bass, but the senns have good bass with great midrange properties, as well the ability to tame the highs. Flats are probably a must have...but the Senns are as well for much less cost.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #47 of 57
Okay, crazyfrenchman inspired me to go further into debt and continue my 2-month long headphone/head amp spending spree. Being a listener of mostly hard rock/alternative, I had to do this comparison myself, and having two Grado dealers within walking distance of my apt is convenient, if not financially healthy. So, after treating my daughter to a relatively unhealthy lunch at burger king, I dragged her to the one A/V dealer within 3 blocks of my apt (very dangerous) to test out the Grado SR-225's. I brought my iPod and my Sennheiser HD-25s. My daughter watched a little bonus TV while waiting in the video section, but was actually more intrigued to watch me do the testing in one of the listening rooms (uh-oh, what am I creating here?).

The only 225s the dealer had were brand new one's out of the box. Thast did not stop me though. So, I A/B tested the new 225's with the HD-25s listening to "Judith" by A Perfect Circle. Even brand new, the Grado's showed more air, breadth, detail and slam compared to my HD-25s (which I quite like for closed commuting purposes). I mentioned to the dealer how much the 225's regularly go for ($195-200) and he countered with $185 (plus tax). SOLD. Of course, he wanted a crazy $40 for the 1/4 --> 1/8 adapter (silly NYC rip-off scheme), and I said "naaaa," and promptly bought it from Todd ($15), along with some flat pads.

Listening to the unburned in Grado 225s at home using both my unamped iPod (Porta Corda pending) and my unamped Myryad int-amp + Myryad CD player source (Pimeta pending), I found the Grados to be far more fun and rockin' than the A-900s. They feel louder, yet are very detailed. That loudness peception is the bass and the treble and the overall punch. They go much better with my music than the A-900s. AND, I feel very strongly about these Grados and they have not yet been burned in. Cooool.

Yet the A-900s sound kinda "beautiful" and are soooo comfy and are sooo much more what I need when the mrs is awake and nearby. The Grados thus are going to be for "after hours" when the mrs is asleep, and the A-900s for when I might disturb her. I am lucky to be able to hang onto both.

Once again this forum has given me the knowledge and the inspiration to spend my $ frivolously, but in a zen way (ironically, the more enlightened and meaningful way, but then again, we are talking about material goods here), to also better enjoy my music.

- walkman666

Dec 15, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #49 of 57
Would you say that the SR-225s leak too much sound for a shared office environment?

I had been using HD590s which leaked too much. I switched to the ER-4Ps and then sold those as I didn't like their sound.

I'm torn between the SR-225s and the ATH A900s. Both for different reasons. ATH A900s because they isolate more, and the SR-225s because they sound like they have the sound that I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #51 of 57
sfxjames: I was concerned about Grado comfort, too, and while they are not as comfy as the A-900s, they are not uncomfortable on my small head. I have read where folks need to slightly and carefully bend the headband to relieve some clampiness, but as I have a smallish head, I do not feel the clamping, so no adjustments for me. I also read that some folks do not like the meshy like feel of the ear pads or the covering of the driver against their ear; it's a bit rough. I would agree that I feel this, but it does not bother me to a significant degree. Also,the Grado's are quite light, weight-wise, so that is a plus on the comfortability index. My overall conclusion regarding comfort is that the Grado's are not "positively comfortable," but they are not "I cannot wear these (for an extended period of time) because they are too uncomfortable" either. I would not consider any apprehensions about potenital discomfort as a knock-out factor in your consideration of buying these phones.

FiGGaH: Yes, there is significant leakage as to warrant these headphones, IMO, inappropriate for a work setting. Those sitting nearby, or even two or more seats away, will hear the music coming from your head. I would definitely recommend a closed headphone for that kinda setting over the Grado. I like the A-900s a lot, and they are pretty closed with only a tiny bit of leakage, IMO. They are also very comfy, but you'll look like a guy wearing two very techie looking blue grapefruits on your head -- they are that big. What is so paradoxical, and a tribute to A-T's quality, is that for their size and absolute weight, they are very comfortable. The ergomics here are impressive.

Hence why I have both headphones: one for when open is do-able for me, which matches my taste in hard music, and one for when I need closed, which will work with any music, but not quite as "fun" or "impactful" as the Grados. It's not a huge sacrifice at all (wink-wink) to have the A-900s instead of the Grados when I am listening on my sofa though. The music sounds fiiiiine. If you feel you need a closed headphone for your office setting that more matches the Grado sound, you might want to try the AKG-271 or the Sennheiser HD-25, however, I am only familiar first-hand with the HD-25 (which sound good, are a little tight on the head, and have some nice impact, and do not need an amp), not the AKG (which seem to get strongly endorsed here, but also with an amp combined).

- walkman666

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by FiGGaH
Would you say that the SR-225s leak too much sound for a shared office environment?

I had been using HD590s which leaked too much. I switched to the ER-4Ps and then sold those as I didn't like their sound.

I'm torn between the SR-225s and the ATH A900s. Both for different reasons. ATH A900s because they isolate more, and the SR-225s because they sound like they have the sound that I'm looking for.

Thanks!

The reason I purchased the A900s was because of leakage into a work environment. Once people starting coming to me with their guess as to what I was listening to currently, I knew I needed a closed phone. And they weren't even being playing at my normal listening level.

Jim

Dec 15, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
FiGGaH: Yes, there is significant leakage as to warrant these headphones, IMO, inappropriate for a work setting. Those sitting nearby, or even two or more seats away, will hear the music coming from your head. I would definitely recommend a closed headphone for that kinda setting over the Grado.

I've had the 225 at work. If you're in a cube and listen to the volume at a reasonable level, they're fine, no issue at all.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #54 of 57
Does anyone use the grado for relaxing instead, I know it's stupid question but we also have different ear tastes.

Would other higher end grado models add more weight or do they all weigh the same.

The only reason I would concider buying these (don't laugh) is because they would be perfect match for my Pioneer SE-DIR800C that I use for Dolby Headphone. Takashi had great results when he used his with the DIR1000C. They both bested the DCL3000 and DIR1000 in everything even in rumbling lows and dialogue.

Do these headphone display any coloration to sound at all? Is the sound colored in certain places?

I'm merely assuming from Takashi's experience and from further research that non-colored headphones work better for DH, because perhaps DH already adds color to the sound as it is. This is just a guess of course.

Dec 15, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #55 of 57
For me, involving is somewhat opposite to relaxing, so I wouldn't conisider the Grados relaxing.

The coloration isn't an issue until the music starts to play. Yes, Grados are definitely colored.

The SR325 is made of metal and somewhat heavier then the lower models.

Dec 16, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #57 of 57
Thanks for the answer for my query.

I still might get them as I have repeatedly asked my officemate if she minds and she always says that she barely notices and doesn't care...but she's too nice sometimes I fear.

We are about ten feet apart...I guess I'll just tell her that I'm getting new cans and tell her that this is a chance to influence my purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope that she really doesn't mind, because I'd like the SR-225s.

If not...I bet I'd still be happy with the A900s...
eggosmile.gif

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back