SR225 initial impressions and comparison with ATH-A900
Dec 10, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #31 of 57
Flats = Todd the Vinyl Junkie, his link is in the sponsor links above!

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #32 of 57
IMO...all Grado's should be burned in at least 60 hours before passing judgement. Also, I find the bowls far more shrill, I have never heard flats, but the Senn pads themselves are a HUGE improvement over the bowls. Actually, even the comfies sound better to me than bowls.

There's also that Grado sound that you have to acclimate to for a time. put the A900's away for a week, use the 225's (after burn in) and then go back to the AT's. Then tell us what you think. My guess is that you'll have very different impressions to share with us.

Dec 11, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #33 of 57
Oh man...these cans have turned around BIG TIME after fifty hours of burn-in.

EXTREMELY detailed now without that annoying, sharp and sibilant coloration.

Everything has smoothed out...

I DEFINITELY prefer them to my ATH-A900s now.

Dec 11, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #35 of 57
I've moved away a bit from the Grado sound, but the A900s and SR225s (use to own have the MS1s now) are in some way more opposites than the usual Senn v. Grado debates.

As others have said, it's analytical versus fun. Etys versus Shures almost.

Agreed though the Grados need min of 50 hours to get rid of the bright highs (for SR225 and MS1). They never disappear for some of the Grados and an argument could be made in that department for the superiority of the A900s over the CD3Ks.
wink.gif

I happen to think the ATs are much better all purpose phones, but there are times (Choral, some female vocals, woods, etc.) where the Grados really shine.

Dec 11, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Oh man...these cans have turned around BIG TIME after fifty hours of burn-in.
EXTREMELY detailed now without that annoying, sharp and sibilant coloration.
Everything has smoothed out...
I DEFINITELY prefer them to my ATH-A900s now.

I was waiting for that...right on time....
rs1smile.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I happen to think the ATs are much better all purpose phones, but there are times (Choral, some female vocals, woods, etc.) where the Grados really shine.

I think they are both great headphones and I happen to prefer both of them to Senn HD580; I simply found senns too polite for nearly all the music I listen to.

The main shortcoming that I find with the ATH-A900s are the muddled and inarticulate mids with extremely fast music, especially punk rock. The SR225s do not suffer from this problem at all: it's actually possible to easily distinguish the bass guitar from the other guitarists/drums with punk rock, which I find remarkable...I know I couldn't do that with other headphones I have tried, high-end senns included.

The ATH-A900s still hold a fond place in my heart, though, for their soundstage...

But yeah, the ATH-A900s are going...the SR225s are staying.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't keep both...

After auditioning some friend's cans earlier tonight, I'd rate them SR225>ATH-A900>HD580, according to preference.

Dec 11, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #39 of 57
Glad to see they improved so much with burn-in. I've always wanted to hear the SR225 to see how much different they were than the SR60 and SR80 I had. My MS-2 definitely improved with burn-in, but it wasn't the night and day difference you described with the SR225. I liked them out of the box and really liked them after putting a few hours on them.

I'm also very curious to hear an A900 but I just don't think I'd care for the scouped mids. I'm thinking of trying some AKG's to see what all the fuss is about--apparently they have an amazing midrange (but I don't expect them to rock like the Grados & Alessandros!).

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #40 of 57
Yep I've found the magic number to be 40 hours. And flats. Put those together and you SR225 will become the true Rockalizer. Punk, etc will sound amazing.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:35 AM Post #41 of 57
The SR-225's simply rock. I'd take the 225's over the HP-2 anyday (if I had to give up one for FREE I'd give up my HP-2.)

The SR-225 has the forward, punchy, musical sound while holding back a little on the detail that the HP-2 has in full. The HP-2 has a forward, punchy, and extremely detailed sound but does not have the musicality/richness that the SR-225's have. HP-2's are also high on causing fatigue while the SR-225's could be listened to for hours with no problems.

Dec 11, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #42 of 57
I also have the a-900's and noticed a lack of mids and overall good sound on all of my old school punk/hardcore and alot of rock. Just ordered some grado-sr60's and am looking forawrd to checkin out their sound style. glad to hear the 225's worked out for you - if i like the 60's, i may just have to upgrade.

dam you headfi - making a broke ass college student even more broke. But then again, thank you headfi...

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #43 of 57
I'm glad this thread popped up, because I was debating getting the A900s or sr225s. I think my mind is made up.

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yep I've found the magic number to be 40 hours. And flats. Put those together and you SR225 will become the true Rockalizer. Punk, etc will sound amazing.

You really need to get flats for your sr225. The difference will amaze you.

I feel like half my posts on Head-Fi are about Flat pads for Grados, like I'm preaching the Gospel of Flat Pads! The reason for this is really simple: I came very close to selling my sr125's before buying some flats from Todd, and I was very very happy that I didn't after I tried them. They really transform the sound. I wonder how may of the people who say they don't care for the sr125's have tried them with the flats? They totally bring out the bass and tame the highs. Smooth it out and make them more balanced. The flats made such a difference it really seemed miraculous.

Get some.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
One of the worst mistake's I ever made was selling my 225's. I am looking to get another pair soon.

I almost made this mistake a week ago (posted as IC in the for sale forum), good thing I changed my mind and decided to keep them. I decided to listen to them last night after several weeks of exclusively listening to my HD650/Zu Mobius and I was wowed again. The SR-225s rock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back