SR225 initial impressions and comparison with ATH-A900
Dec 9, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #16 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
From what I remember, my major qualm with the SR60s was what I perceived as a bass deficiency.

I have not had that problem with the SR225.

Otherwise, they are very similar in many respects, especially if they both have bowls.

I don't really view it as bass deficiency.. I honestly didn't notice much more bass with the 225's--certainly not enough for me to justify spending $130 more. Maybe there was more bass, but since there was also more treble, it wasn't as apparent to me since both ends of the spectrum were boosted.

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #17 of 57
Thx again apar111. For me, regarding SR60 comfort and the bowls, just going by what I have read. I guess you bought the bowls right then and there with the SR60s. I'll look into the Grado line like you did when the itch must be scratched.

Not to the hijack this thread, but I noticed that you are from Columbus, OH. Crazy shooting of the former Pantera ("dimebag") guitarist at at Columbus nightclub last night. I read about it in the NY Times today.

- walkman666

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Thx again apar111. For me, regarding SR60 comfort and the bowls, just going by what I have read. I guess you bought the bowls right then and there with the SR60s. I'll look into the Grado line like you did when the itch must be scratched.

Not to the hijack this thread, but I noticed that you are from Columbus, OH. Crazy shooting of the former Pantera ("dimebag") guitarist at at Columbus nightclub last night. I read about it in the NY Times today.

- walkman666

I used to live about a mile away from that club. I used to go there for quite a few shows (Saigon Kick, Dokken, etc.) It makes me sick to hear that Dimebag was killed. A truly great heavy metal guitarist was lost. I heard about it last night about 1/2 hour after it happened. Luckily they shot and killed the SOB who shot Dimebag. I guess he just walked right onto the stage and shot him point blank multiple times in the head, was tackled by a security guard who he also shot, then he got up, reloaded and started opening fire on anyone else left on the stage and in the crowd.

The local rock station (99.7 the Blitz) has been talking all day to fans and people who were at the club when it happened. It really makes me sad to hear how it has affected so many people...

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 57
Yeah, sick story...and sick people. Truly. From what I read, it could have been worse, too, had the police officer who shot and killed the perp was not in the vicinity. He also actually had to shoot the perp while the shooter was physically restraining another hostage in a headlock. Crazy world.

Enjoy your SR60s....

Now back to our regularly scheduled CrazyFrenchman's comparison of the Grado SR225 to the ATH-A900s for rock.

- walkman666

Dec 9, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I don't really view it as bass deficiency.. I honestly didn't notice much more bass with the 225's--certainly not enough for me to justify spending $130 more. Maybe there was more bass, but since there was also more treble, it wasn't as apparent to me since both ends of the spectrum were boosted.

Hmmm...were both headphones amped? That might explain it...

I don't understand how you couldn't tell a difference in the bass response
confused.gif
...it seemed really evident to me.

From memory, I think the highs of my SR225s are more refined, too.

...but yeah, I'd agree with your overall assertion. The difference is not DRAMATIC.

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Much to my delight, my SR225s arrived in the mail yesterday. I've burned them in for about 12 hours. As of late, I've been seeking a potential replacement for my ATH-A900s for rock, which I found to be too slow for some of the types of music I listen to.

I apologize for the premature nature of my review (with only twelve hours of burn-in).

I've been using AV710->cmoy OPA2227->SR225 w/bowls

Right out of the box, I found them exceedingly congested, colored, and sibilant with the higher frequencies. The highs are far too grainy and unrefined for my tastes. Twelve hours have improved these annoying characteristics somewhat, but I still dramatically prefer my ATH-A900s/KSC75s.

One thing I adore about these headphones is the *SNAPPY* bass. Although it doesn't extend as deep as the ATH-A900s, the faster transient time and increased detail delivers a neat effect with drums. However, I do NOT like the decay rate on cymbals; it is far too short.

I've also noticed how the SR225s are more sensitive to the source than the ATH-A900s. I notice a BIG difference between the AV710 and ipod line-out.

I fully intend to keep you updated on these cans...I hope they turn around with more burn-in or else I will be forced to return them. Right now I prefer my ATH-A900s/KSC75s...
frown.gif

Do you think flat pads would help with mitigate some of the annoying sonic characteristics I described?

Your listening impressions are similar to mine from new to now. I reckon there's no all for one and one for all at any price in hi-fi. If you don't like the colouration of grados with some music thats fine, colouration increases the closer the transducer is to your ear IMO, so flat pads aren't for you if the highs/mids are lacking in any way. However if you want flatter, more accurate audio it will sound less exciting because they'll be no colouration.
I accept the rs-1 isn't accurate with classical and enjoy it more with rock, its sort of makes some cds sound better than they have any right to sound. Saying that I'd like the same bass/speed/up front presentation as the rs-1s with reversed bowls, but with more mid and treble presence in general.

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 57
I'd like to hear your impressions once you feel they are completely burnt in as I am searching for a rock phone as well.
How coloured to you find them to be compared to the A900s?
I've been considering the Sr225s, but I havent heard them and I'm kinda afraid of the Grado highs.

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:09 AM Post #23 of 57
I am a huge Grado fan.

That said, when I heard the ATH900s, I was really confused. I don't know what all the fuss is about these headphones!
They are comfortable, sure - but the sound quality seems to be very limited (not full or rich), the bass is lacking and I find there to be no midrange!

The Grado SR225s, on the other hand, seem to have a much more groovy midrange and much higher impact on the bass. The highs at times can be shrill, but that's only if they are turned up too loud. I have never heard the flute from Thick as a Brick so dynamic before, however - these cans are MUSICAL, and I guess not for the true "audiophile" because they are not very detailed and have a limited sound stage.

Compared to the 900's, however, I would say that the Grados are better at accomplishing what the 900's are "good" at accomplishing.

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #24 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
however - these cans are MUSICAL, and I guess not for the true "audiophile" because they are not very detailed and have a limited sound stage.

I thought the 225s were fairly detailed (at least for the price) and who says the true "audiophile" requires a soundstage?

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

these cans are MUSICAL, and I guess not for the true "audiophile" because they are not very detailed and have a limited sound stage.

I think it's misleading to use the term "musical" in such a way. To some people colourations don't sound "musical".. they sound well, unmusical.

Dec 10, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 57
yay! a thread in the equipment forums I feel like posting in.

I am personally a big fan of both the a900 and my grados. But the differences between the two can be quite jarring.

For one, the a900 is a hyper analytical phone. The grado house sound(ie rich and smooth) can sound like mud when you are used to hearing a dry and (IMO) bass shy sound signature like the a900. I usually spend the first few minutes with a funny look on my face whenever I come home from work(a900s) and put on my grados. That is usually replaced with a big fat smile within a song or two though.

One thing I do notice however, is I have a much harder time going from a900 to speakers then I do from speakers to grado. Take that for what you will.

I must say that if one isn't using flat pads with their grados, they really aren't getting the sound that grado is famous for. I always though my sr80s were very quality phones, but I didn't get the special treatment(love and hate) that people spewed over such ordinary sounding phones. After hearing the sr60s with flat pads, the uniqueness was impressed upon me, and ever since I have been a part of the "grado lover" camp.

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
One thing I do notice however, is I have a much harder time going from a900 to speakers then I do from speakers to grado. Take that for what you will.

What's that supposed to mean?
You would readily choose grado over speakers but
only maybe speakers over A900's?
OR
A900's and speakers aren't different enough to warrant the effort of switching
vs. speakers and grado's which produce dramatically different effects.

Dec 10, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim
What's that supposed to mean?
You would readily choose grado over speakers but
only maybe speakers over A900's?
OR
A900's and speakers aren't different enough to warrant the effort of switching
vs. speakers and grado's which produce dramatically different effects.

I should probably have been a little clearer.

What I meant is that the a900 are radicially different from the speaker experience in terms of visceral bass, "musicality" and overall presentation.

The grados, on the other hand, present music in pretty much the same way, they are just are a little more "in your face" (due to the drivers being right next to your ears)

Of course this is all IMO, so as I said, take it for what you will.

Dec 10, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

The Grado SR225s, on the other hand, seem to have a much more groovy midrange and much higher impact on the bass.

As cheesy as it sounds and as hard as it made me laugh when I first read it, "Groovy" is probably the best single word I've heard to describe the way that the 225s sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back