SR125i vs DT770 80 Ohm for Death metal
May 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

naurto75

New Head-Fier
Hey guys just wondering which one of these is the better option for listening to death metal. The DT770 80 OHM or the SR125i?The DT770 are slightly more is it worth the extra? Also is there anything else you guys would reccomend in this price range? Would basiclly be listening to death metal and be doing some gaming. 

May 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

DT770 80 Ohm version need extra amplification to show their magic, while as far as I know, those Grados don't.

DT770 80 Ohm have powerful (emphasized) bass, and recessed midrange in comparison with most Grados, it depends on what you are looking for. DT770 provide some isolation while Grados don't.

If you want something like Grado (Open-On Ear headphones) but with more bass and less upper midrange you should consider Yamaha HPH-200.

The right pick depends on how you like to hear your music, some people prefer to focus on electric guitars (Grados), while others prefer a slightly emphasized mid-bass that make the sound fuller and warmer.

Best Luck!

May 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Interesting advice Im liesting to some extreme metal so the guiatrs and vocals would be the focus for me, an overpowering bass is not something I want to hear. Also isint there a slightly better version of the SR125i for a bit more? 

May 13, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 6
  Interesting advice Im liesting to some extreme metal so the guiatrs and vocals would be the focus for me, an overpowering bass is not something I want to hear. Also isint there a slightly better version of the SR125i for a bit more? 

Only Sr225i comes to mind. It should have slightly softer treble.

May 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 6

The SR225i can be had for 50$ more. I haven't actually heard the 225i (very contented with my 125i!), but it seems that the general consensus is that the 225i is the "sweet spot" of Grado headphones.As a metalhead, I must say that you can't go wrong with Grado for metal (though I haven't listened to the DT770 so it's best if you audition both first). \m/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back