SR-80- is it THAT open?
Oct 22, 2002 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
What I am trying say is that, at late night, I can obviously hear my SR-80s playing music from a distance of a room (around 2 miles!). I just find it strange as I have never cracked the volume. Is it just due to the open nature of the phones? Thanks a lot.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 13
HI: Yes open phones leak sound. You should here my 580s leaking sound. But I think that it adds to the overall sound that I hear with the phones on.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 13
The Grados in general are very open. They are not good headphones to use if you want to isolate your music to yourself.

Some of my coworkers had grado headphones. I can hear what they are listining to across the lab, like about 15 feet away.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 13
Grados in particular leak sound profusely. Don't worry about it, your cans are fine. I mean...if that bothers you...the leaking sound...maybe try some Sony V6's or Ety's to start off with. Both are isolating...V6's being closed...the Ety's being canal phones.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 13
How big is your house that rooms are 2 miles apart? I wish I had that problem... then I could sell my 2 mile house and buy all the headphone goodies that I want.

I don't know about the Grado SR-80s, but the Senn 600s emit a good deal of music too (um, exterior of my ears... obviously). I had to turn them down when I was burning them in because I could not sleep with them on. I guess that's just the thing about an open design... they really don't try to block the noise going either way.

But then again, the HD600s are really my only pair of open phones, so my generalization is not well founded.

I let my priveleged friend try on my 600s for a bit. He made an interesting comment -- would it be possible for Senn to make a sort of clamp or some kind of mod to make the cans more closed? I told him it would ruin the acoustics, but perhaps he is on to something... if it was designed in just the right way. But it'd probably be an expensive mod, and we'd be better off buying a different set of cans.

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
How big is your house that rooms are 2 miles apart? I wish I had that problem... then I could sell my 2 mile house and buy all the headphone goodies that I want.

I don't know about the Grado SR-80s, but the Senn 600s emit a good deal of music too (um, exterior of my ears... obviously). I had to turn them down when I was burning them in because I could not sleep with them on. I guess that's just the thing about an open design... they really don't try to block the noise going either way.

But then again, the HD600s are really my only pair of open phones, so my generalization is not well founded.

I let my priveleged friend try on my 600s for a bit. He made an interesting comment -- would it be possible for Senn to make a sort of clamp or some kind of mod to make the cans more closed? I told him it would ruin the acoustics, but perhaps he is on to something... if it was designed in just the right way. But it'd probably be an expensive mod, and we'd be better off buying a different set of cans.

Sorry for my poor English, but what I meant is that I could still hear what was playing inside my grados from about 2-3 miles away (my kitchen is next to my sitting room).

Oct 23, 2002 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Grados in particular leak sound profusely. Don't worry about it, your cans are fine. I mean...if that bothers you...the leaking sound...maybe try some Sony V6's or Ety's to start off with. Both are isolating...V6's being closed...the Ety's being canal phones.

I don't really need a pair of closed 'phones. I just worried that I was listening at a dangerously high volume that the sound leaking was serious.

Oct 23, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 13
Silver: I don't think it was your English that caused the confusion - it's the "miles" that puzzle. Sure you didn't mix that up with yards or metres/meters? Anyway, as others already stated, the Grados are very much as open as it gets and really leak a lot of sound - another one that leaks a lot is the K501, which is also a very open construction.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Silver
Sorry for my poor English, but what I meant is that I could still hear what was playing inside my grados from about 2-3 miles away (my kitchen is next to my sitting room).

hm. i'd love a house with a kitchen 2-3 miles away from my sitting room.

*thinks*

well then i'd doubt i'd ever go to my sitting room, or i'd just starve... (time for a snack.. oh wait.. too far, never mind)

maybe 2-3 miles isn't that good of an idea
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 13
NewSc2: No problem, if you have a motorized sofa.
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 13
lini: And how much sound do AKG 240S leak, compared to other open and closed cans?

ps: motorized sofa is a nice idea if you only have to go from your living room to the kitchen, but would it be sufficient in case of an urgen toilet need?

Oct 23, 2002 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

ps: motorized sofa is a nice idea if you only have to go from your living room to the kitchen, but would it be sufficient in case of an urgen toilet need?

One word: Turbocharger
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 23, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Alright, you got me there: Of course, the motorized sofa would have to have a built-in loo and fridge as well - and a hydropneumatic massage system couldn't harm, either...
wink.gif

miroslav: Leakage is a little less with the K240S, probably due to its semi-open nature. I'd say it's similar to the DT531 and DT990Pro/250...

Greetings and grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back