sr-71 or XP-7
Jan 28, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

earache

100+ Head-Fier
i have searched, read, and re-read all of the posts regarding Ray's two amps. 90% of the threads are in reference to the SR-71. My question is 'Is the XP-7 as highly regarded as the SR-71?'. I have got to have the ability to throw it on an ac pwr supply in the office. I just can't see battery power for 8 hour days, 5 days a week. Right now i am leaning heavily to trying the supermacro and i have ordered a coda from headroom today. But, all of the positive SR-71 'magic' statements makes me want to try one of them too. I looked on TTVJ's site and found the XP-7. Comments or recommendations?

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
Well I just ordered an SR-71 today. When I get it I will let you know what kind of difference it made for me. But I have heard nothing but good things about them both. I think the SR is just a more compact version or the XP. As far as I know they are both very similar in sound and power output. It just depends on your needs or application. If your going to use it on the go, the SR gets like 50+ hrs on the 2 - 9v's. Thats quite a bit of listening. And I talked to Ray Samuels himself and he said most of the time with good batteries you can get upwards of 70 hrs. But if you are going to be at home alot or like you said, office, you might want to go the XP route with a power supply.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 6
I know what you mean. I thought the same thing. The XP-7 is the middle child that everyone forgets about. Portability goes to the SR-71 while non-portability goes to the HR2. There was some poster(s) who found the SR-71 sound to be "scary-close" to the HR2 -- rather than closer to the XP7.

The XP7 does offer great options...home/road use and opamp rolling (I believe.) I went with the SR-71, and I'm glad I did. Here's why. The XP7 is pretty big, about the size of a CD case but much thicker of course. The SR-71 is the size of a cigarette pack. Not a big deal but it's nice. The SR-71 has mini-mini...which is all I'm really using it for -- out of the line-out on my PCDP. RCA inputs seem like they'd be "better," but I don't know...anyone?? But again...I'm running a portable rig. And that's the other point...Headphone listening, to me, IS a portable affair. I don't mean "jogging." I mean, I'm at work, then I'm at home, then I'm listening in bed. A home/stationary rig would be a hassle.

And finally price. I was in no way going to get another $100 by my wife. $300 with the ps.

Even with all my stated reasons, if money wasn't an issue, I may have gone with the XP7. Since I'm not "jogging" with it, but rather just need portability to and from work, the XP7 would have been fine. But the compact size, price, and freedom from extra power cables and wires, the SR-71 is perfect.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I'd say get the SR-71 just because it's easier to lug around if you do plan to do any listening on the go. Since you are going to be using it that many hours, get 4 rechargeables so you can swap out when one set dies.

Besides the lack of power supply, you can't swap out opamps on the SR-71 but everyone seems to like the sound just the way it is.

The XP-7 is better as transportable where you set it up once you get to the office and home but too big (in size and the use of rca cables) to use in a bag especially when the SR-71 works so much better for that use.

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 6
The SR-71 makes no mistakes. If you want an amp that gets lots of use. Go for the HR-2. Save the batteries. (insert cool smile here)

Jan 29, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by earache
I just can't see battery power for 8 hour days, 5 days a week.

I can't either. I'd be annoyed buying/recharging batteries and swapping them in and out of my SR-71 if I used it for your intended usage. The XP-7 sounds like the right product for you.

Best regards,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back