SR-325 Sell or Keep
Oct 30, 2002 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ll357515

New Head-Fier
Got a pair of new Grado SR-325's on ebay for $212, which I have not received yet.
I have a pair of Senn HD580's currently (replaced the drivers with HD600 balanced drivers)..

I like the Senn's a lot they are extremely comfortable for me, and although I dont have any problems with the sound, the sound is a bit "laid back" for me.

My dilemma is should I (1) Keep the SR325's an dHD580's (2) Keep the SR325's and Sell the HD580's or (3) Sell the SR325's keep the HD580's...

I am hoping the SR325 will be good for portable use. The Senn's sound good on my portable unit but are too bulky to carry around.

Also I hope I did not pay too much.

Thanks..

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 19
I had both the Senn's 600 and Grado 325 sent to me. It doesn't sound like you paid too much at e-bay. I think I did at good-cans--$295. I put in another post that I'm a rockin roller (classic rock---everything from led zep, johnny winters, stevie ray vaughn----all the way to mellow stuff--Tracy Chapman, etc. Also 80's-90's country. To me, the Senn's have it by a long shot. The Grado's sound overly bright to the point of sounding tinny. I couldn't get them to sound good to me no matter what I did with tonal controls, etc. Its a sound I just cant relate too---especially for fairly $$ phones. They are back in the box to be sent back now. In my opinion, the Senn's are a hell of a good phone. I feel they are about 90% close to the perfect phone for me. From the mid-range thru the high's they are about perfect. Real nice. On the lower end I feel they could be just a tad tighter in the bass--a tad quicker. If they were I think they'd be one of the top contenders for a rock phone. I dont care for classical music, but I can trully see how they might be the absolute best for that music. And I hear (and believe) that they keep revealing more quality as the equipment gets better. Bet they would be nice for classical music with hi-end tube stuff. One of the reasons also that I decieded to try the Grado's, is their lower impedence. I thought they would work better on a Archos Jukebox that I have. Well, I was wrong--the Senn's sound much better on it also. They dont reveil as much as on my main reciever for sure--a Harmon Kardon AVR 120, but they dont sound bad comming off that little mp3 player. Thats my experienceso far. Hope its helpful. But then again, sound is a very personal thing. If anyone knows of headphones that sound like what I'm looking for, please let me know.
cool.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 19
hey Lodo-
thanks for the post-
Can you tell me how comfortable the SR-325's were?
Also, the low impendance is another reason I got them, not to mention all the reviews I read about them.
Anyway, what you have said makes sense.
Can you also tell me what kind of connector the SR-325's come with?

Oct 30, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 19
The comfort factor didnt bother me, in fact I liked their style a bit more than the Senn's, although I can see why the Senn's are designed they way they are for sonic factors. They come with 1/4" connecter. I had to buy a 1/8" adaptor for my JukeBox.

Oct 30, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Ya, just try them your self. That's the best way to know.

Oh ya, if you like the 580's and end up not likeing the grado's as much, but still want something a little less laid back, try the 590s. The people who like the 590s better than the 600s seem to say so beucase they are quicker and more agressive. Not as laid back. However, they must not lose much in doing that, or no one would like the better unless the 600s sound like molasses in the morning, which, apparently, they don't. The 590s are cheaper as well, and have lower impeadance, so they work well on portables. I finaly read enough good stuff about them to make a special road trip to tweeter to try them. Much to my dismay I could only use them on the crappy discman they had going, but at least they let me use my music. Much to my delight if i simply turned the volume a bit higher to get more juice they sounded pretty good. I think I'll be getting a pair my self. (if you're interested, word on the street is that the equinox cable makes a big difference and I belive it.)

Oct 30, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 19
I agree with DarkWolf, listen to the 325s. I own both. Each has their strong points and not so strong points. One of their differences is the soundstage. The Senns have the laid back sound and the Grados are known for the in your face sound. I do agree the highs of the 325s have a sizzle about them that some have said is fatiguing. The 325s are easily driven by a portable, but they leak much more sound than the 580s.

Give the 325s a chance, if you find you don't like the sound sell them here, buy an amp, and/or pick up some closed phones for portable use:

Beyer 250-80
Sony V6
etc.

Regards - reynman

Oct 31, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 19
I've had both the SR325 and HD600 for quite awhile before actually liking the 325. When you get the 325, you really do need to spend alot of time with them, and not go back to the senns for at least a full week.

My best advice is to keep both if you can afford them. They are very different.

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #10 of 19
You really do have to spend a good amount of time with them to get use to the sound. Especially if you have already grown accustomed to another set of cans like the HD600, which sounds very different.

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks for the input--------
I will keep them both.

Have 2 more questions.
Are the SR-325's the same size as the SR-80, 60 etc??
Are they too bulky for portable use?

Thanks Agn

Oct 31, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 19
The diameter of the earpieces is 2 mm, their depth 10 mm larger (approx.), and they weigh more. Too bulky? It's you to decide.

Oct 31, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds
You really do have to spend a good amount of time with them to get use to the sound. Especially if you have already grown accustomed to another set of cans like the HD600, which sounds very different.

In addition, if the sound is very peaky at the high end, the headphone itself may calm down with use. Some break-in is needed, particularly with new cans. You may need to get one or two hundred hours (sometimes less, sometimes more) of playing time on a headphone before its final sound is settled in.

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 19
Indeed, there are some changes with time, although mine have been burned-in intensely before: The upper mids (around 2 kHz) have a considerable peak which even masks the accentuated treble, in a way that violins lack transparence and brilliance. But after a few hours of use it's become better. So I'll probably renounce the passive equalization (within the cable) I've planned and already tested.

Btw: there is an infinite number of variations of the sonic balance: If you use flat pads, the pressure from the earpieces regulates it (via headband bending) from dark to bright.

My favored headphones will nevertheless remain the HD 600 and the ER-4X – they both sound more adequate with most of my music –, but I'll keep the SR 325 anyway. Especially with some rock tracks it's fun! The bass is very strong.
very_evil_smiley.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Nov 4, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 19
do you happen to have Michael Jackson's Thriller cd? if so, listen to "Human Nature" and see if you can hear the bells (sounds like wind chimes) and how clearly you can hear them.

as to your dilemma - keep them both for 30 days then make a decision
wink.gif
afterall, you gotta break them in first
wink.gif

then you can see which ever one you don't want and buy an amp. i'm surprised that your portable drove the 600 ohm hd600 drivers.

for portable use you may not like the bigger grado cable (but then i've always thought that the senn cables were too fragile / weak / small / thin).

if the gradoes sound a little too harsh, reposition them forward about 1/4" and you may want to put a clothe half-egg shaped cone over the outside. (i'm still working on it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back