SR 325 and TAH, will this work?
Apr 26, 2002 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mr.PD

Lives to Take It Outside.
I've been searching for info on Grado SR 325 on the forum. Not a lot found. I have a 4.5 volt Total Airhead, is this a good amp for 325's? From what I've read the 325 sounds like the open headphone for me. I am considering them if they will work well with the amp I have hooked to my Pana 570. Also, any comments on the ear pads on this model?

Apr 26, 2002 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 6
The 325 is a low impedance (32 Ohm) very efficient phone. It is driven well from any solid state headphone amp I've ever heard of and can also be driven directly out of the 570. It will however sound better with an amp. If at some time you decide to get a tube amp you will have to make sure it can drive low impedance phones properly.

*******minority opinion alert********

A brand new pair of 325's sound very bright and sibilant, during the break in period they sound much better with the flat pads (these are very hard to find). Once the 325's are fully broken in the bowl pads (pads that come with a new pair) sound better. with the flat pads the driver is closer to your ear...this has an effect of softening the treble and accentuating the bass. After break-in (a few hundred hours?) the flat pads sound dull and muddy to me and the bowl pads perfect.

As far as I can tell from reading other posts my opinion of the flat vs. bowl pads is not typical.

*******end minority opinion*********

I have an old pair (black w/flat pads) and new (silver w/bowl pads) both fully broken in, and have also heard a new pair to compare to. I've also done a lot of pad swapping.

Looking at your profile and the type of music you listen to the 325 is a perfect choice.

Apr 26, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I have a 4.5 volt Total Airhead, is this a good amp for 325's?

That is the combination I use at work all day with excellent results. Work has never been so much fun.
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 6
hi: Mr.PD
I used to owne the 325s and please do burn then in. If you find the bowl pads unconftable take a tube sock. Cut about4-5 inches off the top of them and rap them around the bowl pad and presdo confty. You also could headroom and get the flat confty pad for 10.00 and cut a hole in then about the size of a nickel or a quarter and free the sound and still have the confy and even more bass for they will be right on your ears. Any amp will run the 325s just dont play them to loud. You will get used to the lower sound and really enjoy these cans. Good luck team grado member. A fine team with some great cans.

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 6
I used to own the SR-225s and used it almost entirely with a Total Airhead and it was a great combination. You will definitely love the synergy created by the 325s and the 4.5v TAH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back