sr-225 or hd-580
Mar 20, 2002 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tkam

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had a pair of grado sr-60s for a few months now and have about $200 to spend on a new pair of headphones. I really like the senn hd-580s but I do not have a headphone amp and dont have plans to get one anytime soon. Do the 580s still sound great without a headphone amp or should i go with something easier to drive like the grado 225s.

thanks

Todd

Mar 20, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 24
tkam,

the sennheiser/grado debate has been hashed and rehashed here in numerous posts since i've joined... boils down to personal tastes (who would've thunk it
wink.gif
)

i own both; for what it's worth i probably listen to the grados twice as much as i do the sennheisers. the sr225s sound light years ahead of the sr60s, but if you don't like the sound you're currently getting you may want to look elsewhere.

the senns didn't open up until the addition of an mg head dt, and (in my setup) i personally don't think they sound very good without it. the hd580s are also extremely revealing of your source and cabling, the grados less so.

best,
carlo.

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 24
I have just received a pair of 325 and really do like 'em. My HD600 still remains as my reference set. I don't think you'll be disappointed in either choice. Although there's a pair of 325 on audiogon for $210 with shipping included. I suggest you jump on that.

Mar 20, 2002 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 24
I owned the Grado 225's, and though they offer details galore, the treble was just too harsh and peaky for my taste. They had the Grado impact, but low bass was just non-existent with those headphones. The bad thing about Grados is that they make a good first impression, but with careful listening they reveal a litany of limitaions.

Mar 20, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 24
Well put, well put!!!

Harshness was the only thing I could remember from my Grados encounter, as I thought auditioning them for a longer period might damage my hearing.

Not to mention they are utterly uncomfortable compared to a pair of Senns!!

Mar 20, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

cajunchrist: They had the Grado impact, but low bass was just non-existent with those headphones. The bad thing about Grados is that they make a good first impression, but with careful listening they reveal a litany of limitaions.

Quote:

kelso: they are utterly uncomfortable

for what it's worth (if anything), both of these statements are the antithesis of my feelings on the sr-225. the senns are comfier though.

Mar 20, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 24
Cajun,

Surely if you have time to post here, you have time to return at least one email. The Grado's which you speak of were sold to me, along w/a Sony d25s which arrived DOA.

I have tried to contact you over a dozen times. It has been weeks.

Please be a responsible seller and contact me to resolve this.

rocketman9us
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 24
I'm a bit confused; I'd appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me:

Is the CHA47 the only model of altoid/ penguin amp that JMT makes?

Are the Penguin Mints Amp and the Altiod Mints Amp different housings for the same amp or two electronically different amps?

The CMOY- is that a type of pocket amp (I know it's made by Chu Moy) but I know little about this amp.

Thanks a lot for any help.
TQG

Mar 21, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 24
rocketman9us:

I gave no guarantee on the D-25s unit, since they are NOS and have been noted to have a high failure rate.

I sold you the unit for 10 dollars to enhance the deal for the Grados which I sold to you below fair market value becasue I needed cash for my European trip (which was lovely by the way).

Most importantly, you didn't purchase insurance.

Head-fier's, I have been harrassed for weeks by emails from this clown. He doesn't protect himself from the vagaries of the U.S. Postal system and now he wants to bust my balls about a 10 dollar CD player on a public forum not designed for buyer/seller grievances.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 21, 2002 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 24
tkam: the nice thing about your choice is that you now have 2 good headphones from two great companies giving two entirely different musical experiences
smily_headphones1.gif
You can always upgrado later but for now you still have what I consider to be the best entry level audiophile headphone and a really nice home station headphone. You may want to look into the Grado RA-1 in the future. It drives the 580s plenty well, and it was MADE for Grados. So if you are ever considering upgradoing you will have the best of both worlds
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back