SR 225: LD MT or LD MK V? Why?
Dec 1, 2008 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vandal

500+ Head-Fier
OK; now my SR 225s have been confirmed as bought by my friend in Florida; I await them anxiously.
I have a LD Micro Tube amp. Is this a better component for the SR 225, or will the MK V be better?

I like treble; but not to the point of fatigue; which is why I listened to you guys and skipped the SR 325i which as someone wisely suggested "listen, then buy".

so which amp? And will the MT drive them well?

A100 ti leather earpads also on their way for my A900's
icon10.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 9
C'mon guys. Should I also be getting the LD MK V or just stick with the MT?

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 9
I can't answer your question directly, but if you were going to buy a MKV, I'd consider the Audio-gd C2C instead, which is a much better amp for the money.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't answer your question directly, but if you were going to buy a MKV, I'd consider the Audio-gd C2C instead, which is a much better amp for the money.

I checked them out. 1 query - their spec says preamp; why is this? Or is it mis-stated?

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 9
I just received a LD MK V a few weeks ago and use it primarily with my Sen HD 650's. I've also got a pair of SR225's I've tried with it. I'd say because the 225's are so easy to drive the LD MK V is overkill, and doesn't add much to the sound.

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by stew1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received a LD MK V a few weeks ago and use it primarily with my Sen HD 650's. I've also got a pair of SR225's I've tried with it. I'd say because the 225's are so easy to drive the LD MK V is overkill, and doesn't add much to the sound.

Thanks for that; I was suspecting as much when I read the SR 225 impressions here. I wonder if their rather forward and bright sound may actually benefit from the warmth of tubes. Would it be worthwhile to explore this?

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked them out. 1 query - their spec says preamp; why is this? Or is it mis-stated?

Some of their headphone amps (not the C2C) double as pre-amps, that is, the output is either to the headphone socket or to one of the sets of RCA sockets at the back.

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #8 of 9
I own a LD MKV and really don't find the amp satisfactory with Grados. To me the sound produced by the MKV sounds too much like my Sony A/V receiver with Tone Defeat turned on which is basically bass and treble flatlined. Not my kind of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back