SR-007 Omega II vs K1000 vs Qualia detail wise and for low volume listening??
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

gomincha

Head-Fier
Hi,

As the titles says anyone who has heard all three?
I'm also interested in low volume listening performance..
Which of these maintains the same character at all volumes?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 30
auditory memory is never perfect, but i've owned both the O2 and K1k, and have auditioned the Q010: 

O2 > Q010 > K1k   in terms of keeping the same character at all volume levels

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 30
two of the answers were the same :wink: 

I'm shocked you think the K1k sounds similar at all volumes - i found it rubbish at low levels!  They are so far beyond the standard definition of "open," that not only is rolloff a huge problem at low volumes, but the sheer amount of outside noise makes the experience entirely different once they are no longer loud enough to block out external sounds

Quote:
Three answers and all different!

Qualia > K1000 >>> O2: And the amps and sources were outstanding on all three rigs.

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 30
Qualia >> OII >= K1000

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
We agree the Qualia is the best! However I prefer the K1000 over the OII, and I listened to the OII out of a Blue Hawaii.

It has been awhile since I last heard the K1000, so I could see that they can be better as well.  Honestly though, they are all great phones...and I can't wait to hear my OII with either the BHSE and T2 in the future.

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 30
I have only 2 of the 3 -- O2 and K1K -- but I prefer the O2 for everything, except (when there is no one home and no noise) listening to live concert albums -- especially arena rock -- on the K1K is a treat!!

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 30
I also have the O2 and K-1000. I've had brief listens to a Qualia at meets, but not enough to give an impression. (I do like them.)

The O2 has better detail and low-listening ability.

Still, I prefer the K-1000's soundstage. Plus I listen to them off 2A3 tubes - my favorites.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 30
Back for a moment after more than two years... I should be ashamed... I need to know more about this new Stax...

Anyway, to stay on topic, this is a very easy one:

Qualia >> O2 > K1000  (owning all of them)

Nothing like the Qualias for keeping the same sonics even a incredibly low volumes.
Electrostatics are not that great because their amps driving them at low volume usually don't perform great, especially with O2s.
But the K1000 is especially bad in this regard for a dynamic can so even the O2s beat them.

A trick for most electrostats is using a source with variable output. As I said the problem is usually in the amp and not in the can so an attenuated source with medium amplification will make electrostats sing at low volumes (quality can take a bit of a dent though).

Still... you are better off with the Qualias.

PS: You can use that trick with several dynamic cans too but works better with electrostatic ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back