Squeezebox Boulder Audio Digital ONLY Upgrade
Mar 26, 2006 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone had this upgrade done to their squeezebox?

I have an Esoteric D70 DAC which I send the optical out from the Squeezebox into. However, to my (slight) surprise, the Esoteric DV50 transport sounds miles and miles better (with CD) than the exact same thing ripped onto my computer and sent digitally through the Squeeeze.

Wondering if this mod will actually yield any real results.

Here's the site:
http://www.boldercables.com/servlet/...=MODIFICATIONS

Scroll down a bit and you'll see the SB3 Digital ONLY mod.

Thanks,
Neil

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 64
I need one of those power supplies. Does anyone know how much they are?

Group buy maybe? I'm sure a lot of us Squeezebox owners are looking for one..
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I need one of those power supplies. Does anyone know how much they are?

Group buy maybe? I'm sure a lot of us Squeezebox owners are looking for one..
tongue.gif

Here, bolder is quoting about $600 for the "Superior" power supply.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...3+power+supply

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 64
Yeah. I talked to the Bolder audio guy. Quite rude on the phone. He actually tried to dissaude me from getting his product, citing a 'long at least 3 month wait, and likely 6 months for the really expensive power supply'

LOL.

So I called up Vinnie at Red Wine Audio and left a message. I'd really like to hear one of these modded setups to see if it really does make a difference. People that have gotten them seem to think it does... but people think a lot of things
wink.gif

Neil

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Yeah. I talked to the Bolder audio guy. Quite rude on the phone. He actually tried to dissaude me from getting his product, citing a 'long at least 3 month wait, and likely 6 months for the really expensive power supply'

He's got issues, you're right.

Mar 26, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 64
No way I'm paying $600 for a power supply upgrade on a $300 product.. I may be crazy, but I'm not that crazy!

I was browsing through the Slimdevices forums, it doesn't seem too difficult to get one fabricated DIY-style..? Wonder what justifies the $600 price tag.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
No way I'm paying $600 for a power supply upgrade on a $300 product.. I may be crazy, but I'm not that crazy!

I was browsing through the Slimdevices forums, it doesn't seem too difficult to get one fabricated DIY-style..? Wonder what justifies the $600 price tag.

its made with very expensive parts. the capacitors alone are something like $70 each, and there are 4 of them.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #11 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by yo2tup2
its made with very expensive parts. the capacitors alone are something like $70 each, and there are 4 of them.

Hmm.

Itchy. Would the $600 be better spent elsewhere in the chain? Hard to tell..

Wonder if Vinnie's battery solution would be better.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 64
well, i figure this could be made to be part of one amazing headphone, computer based, rig, and if it does bring it up a to the level of the transport then it actually saves money.
other high end usb dacs have actually taken a board from like an M-Audio transit and put it inside the larger dac, while others, like the wavelenght ones, have made a direct usb-dac connection, without turning it to spdif first.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 64
If you already have a decent DAC, I'd recommend you try the SB unmodded for a period of time before springing for $ mods. Build yourself a power supply with the "power one" unit mentioned on the slimdevices forums and see how it sounds. In my opinion, the SB makes a great transport in unmodded state.

-Dan

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 64
Well does this thing need to burn in? LOL.

I've been using it as a transport to my DAC. My current CD based transport sounds WAY better. It's really no comparison.

Neil

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #15 of 64
Neil,

I'm hearing the same thing you are and my system is not anywhere near as resolving as yours.

I'm thinking of trying that Power One as dwc as suggested. Doesn't cost much and I'm thinking it will get me most of the way there.

There is also this for a more plug and play option:

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/Pro...WM075-1950-760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back