Squeeze box 3
Mar 5, 2007 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crimson_squee

100+ Head-Fier
Received a Squeeze box 3 about 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to find a headphone out on the back. Since I havent received my gs1 amp from Justin yet I plugged my HD650s into it with the sennheiser 1/4 adapter and I have been very surprised by how good the quality of output is
blink.gif
. I should say it wont drive them very loud but it will go to a very respectful volume.

Could be a all in one solution for some people wanting to improve their setup on the relatively cheap.

Anyone else had the same experience as me?

Mar 5, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 7
I tried this too the other week and also think it sounds great, obviously there was a clear difference going between my slam and the sb3 but it held it's own. Minus the relatively low volume I would say it's on par with a $200/$300 amp, considering the DAC is on par or even better than a $300 DAC I gotta say you are getting a hell of a deal!

I would be one to suggest this also for someone looking for an all-in-one solution on the cheap.

Mar 6, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Sorry to disagree, but I have a squeezebox 3, and everything is peachy except the headphone out. It lacked bass and sounded generally lifeless through my HD600s. With the line outputs feeding a proper headphone amp, then all is good. I am currently using the S/PDIF out feeding a Benchmark DAC1 and driving a variety of my headphone amps and it's even better.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to disagree, but I have a squeezebox 3, and everything is peachy except the headphone out. It lacked bass and sounded generally lifeless through my HD600s. With the line outputs feeding a proper headphone amp, then all is good. I am currently using the S/PDIF out feeding a Benchmark DAC1 and driving a variety of my headphone amps and it's even better.

x2, except I have been using the line outs or a CIAudio VDA1. The headphone jack works in a pinch with easier to drive cans like Grados or CD3000s but I don't think it is that worthy and the HD650 in particular sounds pretty flat.

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2, except I have been using the line outs or a CIAudio VDA1. The headphone jack works in a pinch with easier to drive cans like Grados or CD3000s but I don't think it is that worthy and the HD650 in particular sounds pretty flat.

x3, I'm such a follower.

Use the SB3 as a transport now for my ECD1. I guess the SB3 headphone jack is doable, but I felt a Pimeta or something like it would do the SB3 alot more justice. But like the OP'er said, it could be an "all-in-one" solution if your
on a tight budget.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson_squee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received a Squeeze box 3 about 2 weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to find a headphone out on the back. Since I havent received my gs1 amp from Justin yet I plugged my HD650s into it with the sennheiser 1/4 adapter and I have been very surprised by how good the quality of output is
blink.gif
. I should say it wont drive them very loud but it will go to a very respectful volume.

Could be a all in one solution for some people wanting to improve their setup on the relatively cheap.

Anyone else had the same experience as me?

i recently tried the sb3 with my dt990 and Tomahawk and was VERY surprised how great they sounded together. I was using a monster cable ipod rca to mini cable from the sb3 to the TH and then the dt990. I thought it sounded better than my meier corda aria.

I would highly recommend trying this with any amp over the headphone jack. I think you'll find it sounds a lot better. Note that using IEM's with the amp may not work. I could not use my e500 out of the TH from the sb3. WAY too much noise.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It lacked bass and sounded generally lifeless through my HD600s.

I would agree about the bass but not the lifeless comment or not to these ears.

A separate headphone amp should sound better but I stand my my original statement that for a cheap all in one computer system SB3 is a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back