Squeezbox Duet vs Classic
Aug 5, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Google on "actiontec router manual". First hit you get contains this link:
http://www.fiberfaq.com/admin/attach...4wr_manual.pdf
See a.o. page 33.

You really have to do something yourself, like reading the manual.

daaaaaa..........Thanks

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 25
Has anybody had positive experiences with the Duet? There have been very few threads on this topic, even at the Logitech/slim devices forums that I have not jumped at this product yet. I like the idea of the remote with album art view and being able to remove a computer panel/monitor from my stereo system.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the difference between ripping in Win Media Player (XP) and EAC to Lossless WAV audible on either of these SB?

The difference between ripping with two different applications? If you are encoding to the same format and get a perfect rip, how could there be differences? That said, I used EAC when I had my squeezebox as it has a better chance of getting a proper rip even if the disc has problems.

One thing to watch out for is that I found the squeezebox 3 has a bit of an issue decoding FLAC properly. There were audible differences when playing a FLAC file and a WAV file... and there really shouldn't be. I fixed the problem by setting up slimserver to decode the FLAC on my computer before sending it to the squeezebox as a WAV. This corrected the problem.
ph34r.gif

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckoffend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody had positive experiences with the Duet? There have been very few threads on this topic, even at the Logitech/slim devices forums that I have not jumped at this product yet. I like the idea of the remote with album art view and being able to remove a computer panel/monitor from my stereo system.

I wrote a mini slating review earlier in this thread. Did you see that? I know you're looking for positive experience reports... I'm not sure if you'll find any from people who actually used the duet for more than a few minutes.

The SB3 however is nice.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think you will regret the purchase of either unit. The cool part of the Duet is the color screen on the remote. I use a Squeezebox v. 3 as my source and am very happy with it. I am also enamored with the Duet and the nifty control. I cannot comment on which is better as I do not own both. There are a few folks out there that can upgrade these Logitech units, but I am suspect that $500 in mods can make a significant difference in sound quality.

I've done the mods, don't be a doubter. The mods make an incredible difference.

I purchased the SB3 (now renamed the Classic) several years for about $300. As I improved the other componentry in my system, I decided the source needed improvement. I debated modding the Squeezebox vs. buying a dac. I read enough positive reviews on the Slimdevices forums about the Bolder mods that I decided to take the plunge. $525 for the analog-only Enthusiast mods. Let's just say I have no regrets. The sound quality is mind-boggling. Night and day compared to the stock Squeezebox.

I also bought a duet for $365 on ebay, new-in-box. I really just wanted the controller to use with my SB3, but I figured for a few extra bucks, why not get the extra player, which I now use in my bedroom. I use an old pda to control the Duet via my wifi. I can HIGHLY recommend using a pda to control a Squeezebox. Any old pda will work as long as it has a browser and wifi.

I also upgraded the power supply on my Squeezebox, I built the Wellbourne kit, which also works great. I'm using a Signal Magic Digital Reference power cord with it.

So I'm into the Squeezebox for a lot of money, close to $1500 between the SB3, the Duet, the power supply for the SB3, and all the mods. Still a lot cheaper than the Transporter, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

Aug 10, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done the mods, don't be a doubter. The mods make an incredible difference.

Nice, informative post, nspindel. "Incredible difference" is something I can easily comprehend. I use a DAC with my SB3, but have not seriously considered the digital mods. Perhaps I will look into this further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can HIGHLY recommend using a pda to control a Squeezebox. Any old pda will work as long as it has a browser and wifi.

Do you use Salling Clicker or are you controlling the SB through the browser only? Please elaborate; either here or via PM. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back