Squeezbox Duet vs Classic
Jul 31, 2008 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering one of the Squeezbox products and want to know which will give me the best sound quality via analog outputs (Transporter excluded). I've read in other threads that "on paper" the DAC in the Duet seems to be inferior but I couldn't find much about real world comparisons between the two. Even on the official squeezebox forums there's little info, but it seems people are equivocal if there's any difference between the two. I'd appreciate any input from people who have actually compared the two directly about which is better.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 25
I do not think you will regret the purchase of either unit. The cool part of the Duet is the color screen on the remote. I use a Squeezebox v. 3 as my source and am very happy with it. I am also enamored with the Duet and the nifty control. I cannot comment on which is better as I do not own both. There are a few folks out there that can upgrade these Logitech units, but I am suspect that $500 in mods can make a significant difference in sound quality.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 25
Yeah, I'm really leaning toward the duet b/c of the nicer interface. I just want to make sure the sound quality is on par with the SB3. I've read about the mods, I'm not sure I can justify the costs of those. For right now I just want to get one of the units.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 25
Do not buy the duet. I own both (SB3 and duet), and while in theory the duet concept sounds great (scroll wheel and display in your hand), in reality it just doesn't work well enough out of the box.

There's a big list of duet-remote problems: the endlessly spinning '>', bad quality buttons (and dodgy scroll wheel), bad wifi-antenna, unusable energy saving options (renegotiation of the connection is either very slow, or just doesn't work -> reboot remote required). I know that later builds of squeezecenter provide a somewhat improved experience, however, if you expect a product that just works (such as the SB3), stay away from the duet.

As for sound quality, I did not notice any difference. (But then again, I'm mostly using the digital outputs.)

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 25
The Squeezebox (or Duet) is a great source for a listening system. If you have the scratch, go ahead and get one. I don't think you would be disappointed. If you even think you might consider modding a Duet, perhaps you should take the plunge into a Transporter.

Aug 1, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 25
With this unit can you click on a song from your laptop (iTunes library) and will it play on your home stereo? Or do you have to use the remote to control it. Thanks

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With this unit can you click on a song from your laptop (iTunes library) and will it play on your home stereo? Or do you have to use the remote to control it. Thanks

You can control a Duet or Sqeezebox from the remote control or through the SqueezeCenter software on you PC.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can control a Duet or Sqeezebox from the remote control or through the SqueezeCenter software on you PC.

But what I understand it doesn't support music that you purchased thru iTunes. Is there another alternative beside Airport Express?

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthecup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what I understand it doesn't support music that you purchased thru iTunes. Is there another alternative beside Airport Express?

Are you against using AirEx because you wanted a remote like the Squeezeboxes? If so, Apple just released software so that you can now control the AirEx wirelessly from an iPod Touch (sweet remote!). I don't know how the DAC sections compare between SB and AirEx though. I plan on going the iTouch/AirEx route but using the optical out of the AirEx, so I haven't paid any attention to reviews of how the DAC sounds. The touch/AirEx combo works out to be a bit more expensive than the Duet, but the touch is much more versatile. If you want to play protected iTunes content though, that's pretty much your only option.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 25
The problem I have is with my router, I found this on the Apple forum.....You might want to check the discussion boards to see the level of difficulty many are having. Here's a key piece of info: if your network uses WEP encryption, the base station will NOT work. You need to change over to WPA. Took me 2 days to figure this out. Caveat Emptor! ..........My Router does use WEP and I don't think I can change it.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 25
It's a Actiontec, I have a wireless network with Verizon, it's the fios system. It has WEP, not Wap.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 25
I think it should be possible to just send all your packets to a 3rd party router hanging off your actiontec and turn off the wifi on the actiontec.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonvB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Actiontec has WPA. And it has ethernet out, so you can hook up another access point. It does not have WPA2.

Thanks for the info, unforunately I'm not much of a computer guy. Is it possible to send me specfic instructions on how to do this. I would really appeciate it. (how to hook up another access point?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back