SQ, simple mp3 player ipod shuffle 1st gen
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
just wondering if i should pick up a few ipod shuffle 1st gens for the future, or are the more easily available mp3 players that are small, light and simple with equivalent SQ.

i really love the SQ of the shuffle for portable listening while studying etc, and i have a ipod video for everything else.

just wondering if its worth stocking up on a few shuffles before they are all gone.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 17
I do think the shuffle sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't pay much for one nowadays. The clip sounds good(not as good as the shuffle, but it's not a huge diff), is really cheap for 2gb, has a screen/fm, firmware updates, ability to clip without addons, etc. I have 19 albums in my tiny clip right now. I'm never going back to a player that has less than 2gb. I'd get a clip if I were you unless you just had to have a shuffle.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 17
hummm the apple store online has plenty of refurbished ones...
well at lest in aus they do, i mite just pick up a spare or 2.

just a question how do they compare to the iriver flash players? which have always been known for pretty solid sq

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 17
Dec 13, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 17
the irivers do not have the benefit of push pull out though it is possible the dac may be of higher order. however, for cheap sources, they none have a very good sound compared to more expensive equipment. that said, the dac and amp combo in the shuffle other than hiss is phenomenal. it rumbles, sparkles and leaves a taste in your ears of whatever you are listening to... one of the most amazing portables of all time i reckon.

EDIT: if you can live without screen and proper selection tools. think of the days when you carried and md player without remote with you or ... a tape cassette recorder. just like that!

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 17
Won't the built-in batteries on any player degrade over time -- whether in use, or not? So a person might not be able to "stockpile" a player and then try to use it several years later, if what I've read is correct. Of course, how long it would take for a battery to degrade to the point of uselessness is not clear to me ...

I am very happy with my 1GB Sansa Clip. I use small players like that mostly for shuffle/random play, but it's nice to have a screen to navigate to a particular song or album on occasion. It's an excellent buy, with sound that exceeded my expectations. I've used a 1st gen. Shuffle briefly, as I loaded one with songs for a co-worker, and it certainly sounds very good. But the Sansa Clip is quite good and I wouldn't pay any kind of higher price for the Shuffle, at this point.

The iRiver T60 has excellent sound, as well, and has the added feature of running on a AAA battery, which can be an advantage for some users -- for example, that one can be stockpiled for future use (be sure to remove the battery, first, though).

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 17
i just plugged my hd25's into the 1g shuffle i handed down to my girlfriend.

crap. it sounds far better than my first gen nano
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 17
hahaha yep. i did something siimmilar. quickly bought another shuffle to replace it :p

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 17
Oh well, I just turned on my old 1gen shuffle, because my minibox-e+ ran out of battery (at last), and yes, shuffle sounds still damn good with MS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back