SQ, simple mp3 player ipod shuffle 1st gen
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
just wondering if i should pick up a few ipod shuffle 1st gens for the future, or are the more easily available mp3 players that are small, light and simple with equivalent SQ.

i really love the SQ of the shuffle for portable listening while studying etc, and i have a ipod video for everything else.

just wondering if its worth stocking up on a few shuffles before they are all gone.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 17

citywithoutmetal

100+ Head-Fier
I do think the shuffle sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't pay much for one nowadays. The clip sounds good(not as good as the shuffle, but it's not a huge diff), is really cheap for 2gb, has a screen/fm, firmware updates, ability to clip without addons, etc. I have 19 albums in my tiny clip right now. I'm never going back to a player that has less than 2gb. I'd get a clip if I were you unless you just had to have a shuffle.

Dec 12, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 17

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
hummm the apple store online has plenty of refurbished ones...
well at lest in aus they do, i mite just pick up a spare or 2.

just a question how do they compare to the iriver flash players? which have always been known for pretty solid sq

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 17

uppis

100+ Head-Fier
Dec 13, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 17

shigzeo

The Hiss King
the irivers do not have the benefit of push pull out though it is possible the dac may be of higher order. however, for cheap sources, they none have a very good sound compared to more expensive equipment. that said, the dac and amp combo in the shuffle other than hiss is phenomenal. it rumbles, sparkles and leaves a taste in your ears of whatever you are listening to... one of the most amazing portables of all time i reckon.

EDIT: if you can live without screen and proper selection tools. think of the days when you carried and md player without remote with you or ... a tape cassette recorder. just like that!

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #10 of 17

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
Won't the built-in batteries on any player degrade over time -- whether in use, or not? So a person might not be able to "stockpile" a player and then try to use it several years later, if what I've read is correct. Of course, how long it would take for a battery to degrade to the point of uselessness is not clear to me ...

I am very happy with my 1GB Sansa Clip. I use small players like that mostly for shuffle/random play, but it's nice to have a screen to navigate to a particular song or album on occasion. It's an excellent buy, with sound that exceeded my expectations. I've used a 1st gen. Shuffle briefly, as I loaded one with songs for a co-worker, and it certainly sounds very good. But the Sansa Clip is quite good and I wouldn't pay any kind of higher price for the Shuffle, at this point.

The iRiver T60 has excellent sound, as well, and has the added feature of running on a AAA battery, which can be an advantage for some users -- for example, that one can be stockpiled for future use (be sure to remove the battery, first, though).

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 17

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
i just plugged my hd25's into the 1g shuffle i handed down to my girlfriend.

crap. it sounds far better than my first gen nano
mad.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 17

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
hahaha yep. i did something siimmilar. quickly bought another shuffle to replace it :p

Dec 14, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 17

uppis

100+ Head-Fier
Oh well, I just turned on my old 1gen shuffle, because my minibox-e+ ran out of battery (at last), and yes, shuffle sounds still damn good with MS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread