SQ : $ ratio. Which brings better yield? IEMs or closed portables?
Mar 29, 2006 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nomdeguerre

formerly w1ned
So, here's the deal- I use headphones for portable use mostly. As of right now, I'm using KSC-75's, because I've sold all my other cans, but the open nature of the KSC75's don't block out enough outside noises, which I deceided I need.
I've gone through a slew of IEMs, believe me (ER-6, ER-6i, E2C, E3C, Super.Fi 5 Pros, Super.Fi 3 Studio), but I've never used a portable closed set of cans. Now, my question is, what should I proceed on to?
Portability is important to me, but I think I can cram a small, closed set of cans in my bag or just wear it around my neck fine.

So that brings me to my final question: does going the closed portabl route bring a better $:SQ ratio compared to IEMs?

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't think so. Offhand I can maybe think of only a few decent closed small headphones. There's at least half a dozen IEM's which sound very decent. Low end is low end generally in this hobby, with the rare exceptions like Koss or PX-100's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall in the high end game I would say you definitely get more for your money with large cans than expensive IEM's. Things have a way of evening out the lower down the totem pole you go though. I would figure out wether you need something very small like an IEM and if you can deal with the feeling in your ears (i know some cant) and use these reasons to help judge what to buy over simply "sound quality".

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 16
Please don't wear K701s out in public. Especially not modded ones. Please?

Mar 29, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 16
It's really a trade-off. Closed cans won't give you anywhere near the isolation that an IEM gives you, and IEMs (in general) don't sound as good as a good closed headphone. In the end you have to decide which factor is most important to you and go with that choice.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
So, here's the deal- I use headphones for portable use mostly. As of right now, I'm using KSC-75's, because I've sold all my other cans, but the open nature of the KSC75's don't block out enough outside noises, which I deceided I need.
I've gone through a slew of IEMs, believe me (ER-6, ER-6i, E2C, E3C, Super.Fi 5 Pros, Super.Fi 3 Studio), but I've never used a portable closed set of cans. Now, my question is, what should I proceed on to?
Portability is important to me, but I think I can cram a small, closed set of cans in my bag or just wear it around my neck fine.

So that brings me to my final question: does going the closed portabl route bring a better $:SQ ratio compared to IEMs?

You've already tried a lot of good IEM candidates - what did you find unsatisfactory about them?

I believe that all sealed phones, whether over-the-ear or IEM, make serious compromises in sound quality (at least, until you get to UE-10/L3000 level).

I would make the decision based solely on how noisy your background is. For indoor/office/studio use, with people talking at low levels, computer noise, etc., I would take a sealed headphone. For airplane/train/bus travel, I would take an IEM, since the background noise level is typically much higher.

IEMs are usually preferable for use in noisy gyms (weightlifting, stationary bike, etc.), unless you'll be running or doing some other impact exercise - the tendency of IEMs to amplify any pounding noise means that an over-the-ear headphone is preferable here.

For walking, jogging, or biking on the street, I wouldn't use headphones, since I don't have a death wish.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
IEMs have an absolutely horrific price/performance ratio
I'd much rather get K701s and mod them closed
evil_smiley.gif

eek.gif

*visualizes peeemes walking down the street with a pair of k701's covered in duct tape*

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #9 of 16
I haven't heard an IEM yet that has made me say "wow, that was worth the x ammount of money i spent on it; then again, I haven't heard a closed headphone that wowed me either.

I don't know what to say, other than perhaps wait for the e500's to come out and try your luck there.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
eek.gif

*visualizes peeemes walking down the street with a pair of k701's covered in duct tape*

that's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
eek.gif

Duct tape is a perfectly good mod. It's been proven to work on K501s, why not K701s? And no I'm not joking. Stay here long enough and even stuff like the tape job below just beggars the question "How's the SQ?" and that's it!
2801232.jpg

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Duct tape is a perfectly good mod. It's been proven to work on K501s, why not K701s?

The duct tape adds isolation?

Because I'm not exactly worried about leakage foremost when I'm on the street.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
IEMs have an absolutely horrific price/performance ratio
I'd much rather get K701s and mod them closed
evil_smiley.gif

ehh....if you can get some used er4p's you'd probably not be too bummed; otherwise i would agree though. but you mean terrible price/performance compared to fullsize open phones. he's asking price/performance as opposed to closed.

my answer? it doesn't matter, it's pretty similar. i'll tell you this much, bang/buck aside, you can get MUCH BETTER iem's than closed portable phones. with closed portables you pretty much have the hd25-1 and k81dj as the current top picks (we're talking PORTABLE, and even those aren't super portable). with iem's you can go all the way to ue10 and soon e500.

so..........it simply doesn't matter. there aren't enough choices to draw value conclusions. decide if you want things stuck in your ears with great isolation, or things clamped to your head with mediocre isolation
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm trying to make up my own mind. on one hand i want super small for my tiny shuffle. on the other hand, if i were to wear my shuffle on a lanyard, i'd want to be able to "neck" my phones when not in use. iem's have great isolation, but much more time taking on and off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back