SQ of Sony S638F playing 320kbps mp3's vs. SQ of Sansa Clip playing FLAC?
Nov 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Can I get a little help here? I know the Sony S-series players apparently are some of the best sounding yet, but if the Sony was playing nothing but MP3 files at 320kbps and the Clip was playing nothing but FLAC, which would sound better?

I like to feel like I'm immersed in my music (a.k.a. as close to live as possible without sacrificing anything from the original recording), and I've heard the Clip has GREAT soundstage. That's all I know, though.

Some examples of the music I will be listening to on the player I get:

Muse:
YouTube - Muse - New Born (Full Length version)
YouTube - Muse Sing for Absolution
YouTube - Muse- Hysteria
YouTube - Time Is Running Out

Dinosaur Jr.:
YouTube - Dinosaur Jr. You're Living All Over Me 1
YouTube - Dinosaur Jr. You're Living All Over Me 2
YouTube - Dinosaur Jr. You're Living All Over Me 3
YouTube - Dinosaur Jr. You're Living All Over Me 4

Minus The Bear:
YouTube - Minus the Bear - Pachuca Sunrise
YouTube - Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party
YouTube - Minus the Beaer - Monkey!!! Knife!!! Fight!!!!
YouTube - "Throwin' Shapes" - Minus the Bear

Rage Against The Machine:
YouTube - Bulls On Parade - Rage Against The Machine
YouTube - Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire

And there's much more. I might end up getting both in the long run (one for an everyday beater player and one for my media player for car trips and such), but I'm trying to figure out which I should get first. Also, more than just "Get _______ it sounds good!" would be appreciated.

Please help!

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 19
Bump. I haven't even gotten new views in the last half hour or so, let alone replies.

Help me. :/

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 19
Well i just picked up a 638f today and have been listening to Lame 320 mp3's on it,and i can tell you that it sounds wonderful.
No hiss,lovely authentic sound,even better than my s618,which is saying something.
In fact i'd say it's so very close to my Rh1 hi-md!
Now that really is high quality!

I cannot comment on flac on the clip,but i can compare to flac on the iaudio 7,and id say its near enough the same,with maybe the sony sounding that little bit more clear.
I'm listening to it flat,no added anything.
Super dap,probably the best ever!
Hope this helps bud.
Oh and dinosaur sounds great on it!

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 19
Hey, toughnut

I thought you said you can get similar performance by tweaking the EQ of D2 and you were going to keep the D2. What happened to it?
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 19
hehe, the bass rolloff cant be fixed with EQ. moreover, the Sony is smaller and suit my need for ultraportablity.

If i have an amp, i will get another D2 but then that wont be my portable rig.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 19
1) Which one produces better soundstage?

2) What exactly makes one sound better than the other?

Also, I can tell the difference between FLAC and 320kbps MP3. Cymbal crashes sound a little "choppy" and subtle details like the realistic fadeout of the bass drum (where you can hear the bassy vibration slowly disappearing, but no easily identifiable sound from the drum is really left) sort of disappear.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 19
Bump.

I'm in hot pursuit now that the 8gb Clip is basically released, lol.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 19
I hate doing this, but I really need help.

Bump 2.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 19
toughnut... I apologize to OP cuz this is off the topic... but my mp3 v0 conversions from FLAC are done by Foobar2000 with LAME plugin. The Foobar2000 program says it is 245 V0, and that has confused me. On the other hand, I can go to LAME directly from a cd and do 320 fixed.

Which is better audio quality -- LAME fixed 320, or LAME 245 variable (as identified by Foobar2000 program)??

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 19
Technically 320 is better but you probably couldn't tell the difference. I use VBR because it sounds great and takes up hardly any space.

OP- I hope you don't take these poll results seriously. I don't think anyone has done comparisons using both and thus we can't make a serious decision as to which sounds better. You'll have to weigh the impressions of others vs features and requirements that you need.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 19
Listening to a Sony S636 right now...UNBELIEVABLE...i have heard the Sansa Clip and Fuze, and while they sound good as well, the Sony sound is just so pleasing...

Sony S636 sounds even better than my old Sony A816

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 19
How does the soundstage compare? One of the most appealing things to me about the Clip is its phenomenal soundstage.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 19
what i'd like to know is what kind of music all these people who praise the sony S63x listen to? if you guys just listen to hip hop, DnB, Techno, well no wonder you're loving the bass... my brother has the A81x, and i've got to say it's not neutral...

Edit: Well, i got to listen to one today, directly connected to my RE1s and indeed it souds pleasing... just listened to the music preloaded on the player, but it certainly makes me want to get one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back