SQ: Modern Mobile phone vs Dedicated MP3 player
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

J_C_Denton1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I just bought Sony S739 Walkman and I think the SQ is much better than my old Iriver IMP-350 CD player.

BUT, afaik, there were never a comparison between modern mobile phone vs dedicated MP3 player.

So lets bring it on!!!

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #2 of 9
Mobile phone [size=xx-large]<[/size] Dedicated MP3 player
End of discussion
wink.gif

Actually discussion begin again... I've heard the Blackberries have solid SQ, but I doubt it can compare with the best sounding DAPs.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 9
My Nokia mobile has a horrible hiss and no gapless playback.
Ergo mobile < DAP

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by #@y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DAP sounds way better than my mobile phone. But it isn't really a fair comparison, because I can only use my stock nokia earbuds with my mobile phone.

There normally is an adaptor for the newer Nokia models.. at least mine came with one and it's not the most recent Nokia mobile..

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 9
check my sig; my phone competes with the big boys. not as great as my DIYMOD, but still very respectable. sounds better than an unmodded 5.5G IMO and similar to the 2G touch. the HP out is great with no hiss, even with my SE530. and with LOD and an amp... OH MY
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by feNcheL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There normally is an adaptor for the newer Nokia models.. at least mine came with one and it's not the most recent Nokia mobile..

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this. Maybe I have to give it a try again.

Nov 30, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 9
well,

I've done a lot of ''research'' in this regard and I think a dedicated DAP sounds better than a Mobile Phone. Though some mobile Phones come close.
For example the samsung INNOV8. I never heard it but it's supposed to have stellar audio performance. otoh the nokia N96 is said to be one of the best sounding Mobile Phones ever.
Sony-ericsson Walkman phones faal short in all regards, but the latest W980i (I think) is rumored to have good audio performance. I doubt though if it will ever be able to compete with the ''big boys''.
and last but not least the Motorola ROKR E8 should have a stellar audio performance too.

So I think only the Nokia N96, Samsung INNOV8 and the Motorola ROKR E8 come close to a real DAP in terms of SQ. I think they would surpass cheapo DAP's with ease but couldn't reach the SQ of a Sony, Apple, Cowon, Iriver, Kenwood or JVC DAP.

I left two phones out of this comaprison, namely the iPhone and the B&O Serenata. The Serenata is just waaaaaaay to expensive, it just isn't a mobile phone anymore!!! and the iPhone was designed with one of the worlds best DAPs in mind to start with.

Rgds

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Incredibly, you can now bag a Serenata and a pair of top notch Shure earphones for less than the price of an Apple iPhone. Just pop along to Harrods (where else?) and you'll find a 4GB Serenata for £100 with a £40-a-month Vodafone contract.

Only problem is it will cost me a lot more than the phone is worth to get to Harrods. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back