SQ DAPs... Looks like the choices are...
Oct 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I feel an urge to upgrade from my ZVM60GB....

I've been thinking of getting O2... But looks like it was just a moment of enchantment, since the SQ is promised to be on par with D2...

I wanna get the best SQ possible DAP now. I can be adventurous here...

The preferences are: Storage (expandable or upgradeable). SQ. Size (the last one is a tough one, so it's not a top priority).

Now the contenders:

1) Sony DAPs.. They are famed for SQ... But 16GBs only? Come on! With no expandability I need 80GB+ at the very least.

2) Iriver H120 or H140 CF modded. Optical out, baby! But the downside is the necessity to carry an amp with it (to justify the hassle of getting an OP DAP and modding). Plus no optical in amp/DAC here. Iremember somebody somewhen speaking of Ibasso coming out with a new optical portable.. Please - is that true? Future 128GB CF Mod for H120 looks tempting, though...

3) Sansa FUZE? With 16GB MicroSD in stores and 32-128GB microSDs on the way, this looks tempting. But, is the sound that good? For that price, I mean, you wouldn't expect something outstanding. And I what hi-fi in my pocket.

4) Kenwood? Well.. HDD DAP... Been there done that. Maybe there's a CF mod for Kenwood's HDD DAPs as well.. Could bbe interesting. Otherwise... HDDs are yesterday for portables now. Still an option though.

5) Cowon D2 + Amp.... Maybe I should just kill that little purist inside me, who screams for bulky Optically connected DAP-DAC H120+?? system and get this size/SQ/portability combo? I mean.. I won't really hear any difference? Or shall I? If only D2 had a line out....

6) Pacemaker? But before going this crazy, I need to hear the SQ praise. And it should be really a hell of a praise... Well it's HDD again... but 120GB at least. Plus my grandkids will be amazed to find this thing in my closet once... Much more, as with any of above.

7) Any other recommendation?

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZzBOG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the SQ is promised to be on par with D2...

I wanna get the best SQ possible DAP now.

There is no guarantee what it will sound like.

I'm not sure if you like the D2's sound, but regardless we need to wait until someone can do a side by side comparison before we know how it sounds.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 11
microSD or in general, SDHC max at 32GB. unless the revised it to higher version than V2.00 and increase the max limit.

so far max capacity for microSDHC is 16GB.

no iPod as option? just kidding, dont include one now
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 11
You may also consider Sony's PCM-D50 if size not matter for you.
I read many review said it is as good as Imod.

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 11
I would not hesitate to recommend the sansa fuze any day. While the D2's internal amp is better, if you're planning to use a portable amp with your DAP, I can't imagine any of the readily available DAP's on your list beating the Fuze (in terms of un-altered sound quality and price -- maybe the Kenwood, but I've never heard the kenwood). I'm trying to find a way to create an LOD cable for the fuze, I'd love to compare the Fuze LOD to an ipod LOD. But until that happens, I'm still voting for the Fuze.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZzBOG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) Sansa FUZE? With 16GB MicroSD in stores and 32-128GB microSDs on the way, this looks tempting. But, is the sound that good? For that price, I mean, you wouldn't expect something outstanding. And I what hi-fi in my pocket.

You don't always get what you pay for. For the case of the Sansa Fuze its sound quality is somewhere up there as the very best. That's what which makes it such a great deal, especially if you don't care about frills like videos, EQ, touch screen, playing games, calculator, alarm etc. When you buy more expensive DAPs you are paying not just for the sound but also for all the frills that comes along.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Kenwood has the BEST SQ from the player I own so far.

If you say unnatural, I will think of iaudio.
If you say lousy, I will think of Sony.

May be some high sensitive earphone will hiss with kenwood, but at the same time, high sensitive earphone hiss with any other player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why the Kenwood keeps getting mentioned, IMHO the sound quality is lousy, very unnatural, lot's of hiss.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what which makes it such a great deal, especially if you don't care about frills like videos, EQ, touch screen, playing games, calculator, alarm etc.

I never get how am I supposed to use that alarm in my player, which has no built in speakers? Sleep with my triple.fi in my ears? Or with those HD600 over my head? Okey, with Apple stock earbuds in my ears? Sleep? Come on.

Looks like, funny enough Sansa Fuze is the best bet for now.... Fuze+Ibasso P3 then for portability....

No H120/H140 likers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back