SQ Battle: Nano 2G vs. Creative Zen V
Oct 16, 2006 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gamemako

100+ Head-Fier
Since nobody knew about the shuffle, I ended up deciding that I would rather have a more versatile player (you know, one that I could actually choose what I'm listening to on). So I'm deciding between Creative and Apple's smaller-but-still-functional offerings. Of course, I'm always looking for sound quality (like everyone here), so I was curious if anyone knew how the Zen V stacks up against the ubiquitous Nano. Anybody heard both and have a comparison?

Oct 16, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 7
I like the sound of the new Nano better. I had the Zen V for about a week prior to switching over to the Nano and found that the Zen V was uncomfortably bright. It's a nice player, but imo sound quality isn't a good basis for choosing the Zen V over the Nano.

Oct 16, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 7
TenaciousO, I read a few of your judgments for other players while I was browsing through the forums before and notice that you don't seem to be a fan of DAP coloration at all. That's definitely respectable; I'm just saying.
tongue.gif

I personally like the sound of the Creative Zen V better. It's definitely brighter on the treble, that's for sure, but there's a certain crisp quality to the sound that the iPod Nano 2G doesn't seem to capture. The iPod is definitely more neutral in the sound signature overall but I feel that the Zen V has more detail and crispness that the Nano seems to lack.

Oct 16, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
TenaciousO, I read a few of your judgments for other players while I was browsing through the forums before and notice that you don't seem to be a fan of DAP coloration at all. That's definitely respectable; I'm just saying.
tongue.gif

Well, all DAPs tend to sound a little different here and there so I don't mind a little variance. It's extreme coloration that aggravates me. The worst perpetrator I've come across is the iaudio X5 with its severe dip in the mids, which is unfortunate because the sound quality was otherwise excellent. I don't find the Zen V as flawed but it was uncomfortable for me to listen to it for more than 30 minutes at a time because of its brightness. Of course, I acknowledge that there are a lot of people who prefer and can take a brighter sound. I'm not saying that the Nano necessarily sounds better than the Zen V, although I like its sound signature better. Just saying that sound quality shouldn't really be a huge basis for choosing one player over the other because it's not as if one sounds clearly superior to the other.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Yeah, I guess coloration is personal preference. I personally enjoy my X5, because its synergy with the KSC-75's is extremely "fun", while synergy with the ER4's slightly compensate for its dark warmth (since the Ety's are the antithesis of booming bass) to produce a more serious sound. Ironically, with Rockbox I feel that the mids on the X5 are greatly cleaned up and the whole spectrum sounds pretty neutral and balanced.

That said, I think ultimate synergy with the equipment used (headphones with and without amps) become a big question as well.

But I digress. Ultimately I think that depending on the end-ear, either coloration can become a factor, or actual sound quality can become a factor. Those who don't mind some coloration might find the Zen V's (IMO) prominent treble and crisp quality suitable. The Nano 2G is a great choice for those who prefer a straight-up neutral sound, even if it (IMO) offers a touch less crystal-esque sound.

Once Rockbox is ported to the 2G this comparison might be quite different..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back