Spyware, virus, what the heck?
Apr 12, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 19
Well, I'm not sure how I fixed it. This happened. I ran spybot and deleted a bunch of stuff. Then when I ran IE the homepages changed itself to some search pager called searc4u or something like that. Every time I tried to change it to google/news it would reset back to this search page. Then I went to regular google and where it said make this your home page I clicked on it. That got rid of the other search page and then I changed it to google/news. Now it seems to stick. I hate the idea that there are sites out there that plant this crap in my machine.

Apr 13, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 19
Glad your troubles are over
biggrin.gif
Dont forget to run Adaware in your system just to make sure all the spyware is deleted from your system.

Apr 13, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Norbert
Well, I'm not sure how I fixed it. This happened. I ran spybot and deleted a bunch of stuff. Then when I ran IE the homepages changed itself to some search pager called searc4u or something like that. Every time I tried to change it to google/news it would reset back to this search page. Then I went to regular google and where it said make this your home page I clicked on it. That got rid of the other search page and then I changed it to google/news. Now it seems to stick. I hate the idea that there are sites out there that plant this crap in my machine.

I had similar problem, the Ad popup window while closing IE. Neither Spybot nor Ad-Aware were able to remove it. Finally the Antivirus program AVG (30 days trial version http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_trial.php) identifed it as one of the Trojan Virus and removed it.

Just try, maybe it will help.

It's also wise to download some free virus removal stand-alone utilities such as McAfee's Stinger and let it check yyour system time by time.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 19
Here's something which you sound like you need:

https://www.anonymizer.com/
wink.gif

Check it out. I have it and though I seldom use it, if there's a site which looks decidedly dodgy or one which I know plants alot of spyware on you by default, I just turn that on and it stops info being given to that site. Some sites will not fuction with it on, but at that point I surf elsewhere.
Zone Alarm Pro will also help keep you anonymous if you set it correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back