Spyware, virus, what the heck?
Apr 11, 2004 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Norbert

500+ Head-Fier
My computer keeps screwing up my homepage. I reset the homepage but when I reopen internet explorer it goes to that other damn page telling me I'm "being watched", ok whatever. Help me get away from this homepage from hell!

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 19
My computer keeps screwing up my homepage. I reset the homepage but when I reopen internet explorer it goes to that other damn page telling me I'm "being watched", ok whatever. Help me get away from this homepage from hell!

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 19
Have you tried running Ad-aware or Spybot? Or both
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 19
stop clicking on ****
tongue.gif

no seriously

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 19
I would advise you to scan your hard drive with your anti virus software to see if there is any viruses. Some viruses will cause your internet browser to redirect to a different homepage. Also obtain a copy of Adware and Spybot and run these programs at least once a week to eliminate any spyeware that may reside in your hard drive.

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 19
I swear I'm done with **** for good! It's not worth it! I'll see if spybot can fix me. No more ****. I already scanned and no resolution yet. hoping I can fix it tonight cuz it is popping up stuff I don't need to see. Damn this internet!

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Try running a tool like Spybot Search&Destroy - that usually helps in such cases...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 12, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 19
Ok, I downloaded and ran spybot and rebooted my computer and when I ran internet explorere I got a blank page and the following error message:

Cannot find ‘file:///C:/WINDOWS/secure.htmi’. Make sure the path or internet address is correct.

So, what the heck do I do now?! Download some other program? Help me get this sh@t out of my system.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 19
The **** is not the problem. The problem is that IE defaults, from Microsoft, into Auto Install and Auto Download all plugins AND programs it runs into. On IE 5 and below that was everything - yes, EVERYTHING. On IE6 they changed that to "signed" and "verified" sources - almost as bad.

(1) You MUST go into the Internet Options pages and turn off all Auto Install functions (Advanced tab) and Auto Download / Auto Run (almost) ALL scripts and Java apps (Security tab). That s#@t has GOT to go.

(2) You are, most undoubtedly, running Plugins and TSR's at startup. What version Win and IE are you using? You'll have to go into the Downloaded Plugins / Downloaded Programs folder and remove ANY plugin codebases you can't identify as absolutely needed. Then go into the Add / Remove Programs Control Panel and look for any spyware and remove those, as well.

Then the best way to proceed from here is go into the Registry and look at the Uninstall key in /HKey Local Machine/ Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version and check for installed spyware programs which hide their uninstall dll keys. Delete those programs, and their folders, from the Program Files subdirectory.

In \Windows\PC Health\Hlpctr\Binaries run MSCONFIG.EXE (those b*stards hit it REAL well in XP!) and go to the Startup tab and turn off any suspicous startup TSR's.

There's even more to it than that but those are the (easy (????) ) ones right off the top of my head. If it doesn't work we'll get nasty on it.

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Snake
The **** is not the problem. The problem is that IE defaults, from Microsoft, into Auto Install and Auto Download all plugins AND programs it runs into. On IE 5 and below that was everything - yes, EVERYTHING. On IE6 they changed that to "signed" and "verified" sources - almost as bad.

(1) You MUST go into the Internet Options pages and turn off all Auto Install functions (Advanced tab) and Auto Download / Auto Run (almost) ALL scripts and Java apps (Security tab). That s#@t has GOT to go.

(2) You are, most undoubtedly, running Plugins and TSR's at startup. What version Win and IE are you using? You'll have to go into the Downloaded Plugins / Downloaded Programs folder and remove ANY plugin codebases you can't identify as absolutely needed. Then go into the Add / Remove Programs Control Panel and look for any spyware and remove those, as well.

Then the best way to proceed from here is go into the Registry and look at the Uninstall key in /HKey Local Machine/ Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version and check for installed spyware programs which hide their uninstall dll keys. Delete those programs, and their folders, from the Program Files subdirectory.

In \Windows\PC Health\Hlpctr\Binaries run MSCONFIG.EXE (those b*stards hit it REAL well in XP!) and go to the Startup tab and turn off any suspicous startup TSR's.

There's even more to it than that but those are the (easy (????) ) ones right off the top of my head. If it doesn't work we'll get nasty on it.

Or better yet, use Mozilla's Firefox instead
biggrin.gif

Try getting rid of you problems with free programs like Adaware or spybot. Spysweeper has its own IE home page shield just for the problem you have right now.

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by tortie
Or better yet, use Mozilla's Firefox instead
biggrin.gif

Try getting rid of you problems with free programs like Adaware or spybot. Spysweeper has its own IE home page shield just for the problem you have right now.

biggrin.gif
I don't use programs to remove either viruses or spyware - I do it all by hand, hex-editing the HD (for boot sector viruses) if needed. I'm not one to use one problem - a program - to solve yet another one.

Really, the idea of spyware removers leaves me to questions. All spyware needs to kill it is detective work, a knowledge of your system - what you have done through it's history, what should be and should not be there - and understanding of what is happening. All very good things to know anyway when it comes to your system security and maintenance.

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Norbert
Ok, I downloaded and ran spybot and rebooted my computer and when I ran internet explorere I got a blank page and the following error message:

Cannot find ‘file:///C:/WINDOWS/secure.htmi’. Make sure the path or internet address is correct.

So, what the heck do I do now?! Download some other program? Help me get this sh@t out of my system.

Go into DOS........ Format c:/

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Norbert

Just try setting your explorer home page to the one you prefer. I think the spyware you had before changed your IE settings to find the file secure.html first. Notice that your IE now is looking for a program in your hard disk not a website in the internet.

I also advise to download & run adaware also as spybot usually doesnt remove all spyware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back