Spyware, virus, what the heck?
post-764610
Post #16 of 19

Norbert

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure how I fixed it. This happened. I ran spybot and deleted a bunch of stuff. Then when I ran IE the homepages changed itself to some search pager called searc4u or something like that. Every time I tried to change it to google/news it would reset back to this search page. Then I went to regular google and where it said make this your home page I clicked on it. That got rid of the other search page and then I changed it to google/news. Now it seems to stick. I hate the idea that there are sites out there that plant this crap in my machine.

post-764635
Post #17 of 19

tortie

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Glad your troubles are over
Dont forget to run Adaware in your system just to make sure all the spyware is deleted from your system.

post-765034
Post #18 of 19

Permonic

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by Norbert
Well, I'm not sure how I fixed it. This happened. I ran spybot and deleted a bunch of stuff. Then when I ran IE the homepages changed itself to some search pager called searc4u or something like that. Every time I tried to change it to google/news it would reset back to this search page. Then I went to regular google and where it said make this your home page I clicked on it. That got rid of the other search page and then I changed it to google/news. Now it seems to stick. I hate the idea that there are sites out there that plant this crap in my machine.

I had similar problem, the Ad popup window while closing IE. Neither Spybot nor Ad-Aware were able to remove it. Finally the Antivirus program AVG (30 days trial version http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_trial.php) identifed it as one of the Trojan Virus and removed it.

Just try, maybe it will help.

It's also wise to download some free virus removal stand-alone utilities such as McAfee's Stinger and let it check yyour system time by time.

post-765301
Post #19 of 19

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Reaction score
Here's something which you sound like you need:

https://www.anonymizer.com/

Check it out. I have it and though I seldom use it, if there's a site which looks decidedly dodgy or one which I know plants alot of spyware on you by default, I just turn that on and it stops info being given to that site. Some sites will not fuction with it on, but at that point I surf elsewhere.
Zone Alarm Pro will also help keep you anonymous if you set it correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)