Spyderco Centofante 3 vs. Delica
Mar 27, 2006 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i'm looking at the spyderco centofante 3 vs. the delica. i just want a light-duty knife for cutting and opening, and other tasks my leatherman micra might not be up to. the centofante 3 is supposed to have an excellent lock, but the delica is the standard edc knife it seems. i like the look of the centofante too. has anyone experience with these knives?

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 15
I haven't handled the newest revision of the Delica, but I much prefer the Centofante III over the previous Delica. I like the ground on Centofante better (hollow vs. flat-sabre) as it provides for easier cutting and resharpening. The handle on Centofante III fit my hand better, too, though this is completely a personal preference. Also, due to its looks, Centofante III would be able to double as a gentleman's carry knife, if need be.

One thing to keep in mind is that the blade of Centofante III is over 3 inches while Delica's is under 3 inches. I don't know the local length restriction for your location, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention the length difference.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 15
I have a Centofante 3. I haven't handled the new delica but it's a more of a user knife from what I have seen of previous generations. The Centofante 3 doesn't have much of a guard, for one. Another point to the delica is the more utilitarian grip texture. It's probably slightly easier to close because the blade is slightly smaller. On the other hand, the Centofante is much more stylish. It's a saber hollow grind with a slight swedge, not a saber flat grind, so both are essentially the same as far as grinds go. The Delica 4 has dual liners, the Centofante has a liner on one side. The Delica is much more utilitarian. So there you have it. Looks and style vs. function. The Centofante does have a bit more belly, if you think you'll be slicing things more often than not.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Don't forget the radical difference in carry styles...it appears the Centofante III is to be carried tip-down, whereas the Delica is to be carried tip up, as God intended.
wink.gif
. This alone would make my decision, because I only carry tip-up. Whichever you prefer, It doesn't make much sense to rotate (gee, which knife am I carrying today again....).

I've been carrying Delicas (the all-plastic handled ones, with ambidextrous clip, plain edge, flat grind, VG-10) for years, they are excellent utility knives, and have saved my life at least once. Yet, they are nothing special to worry when you drop them in the lake or lose them. Just a chunk of excellent steel and excellent plastic formed to be a perfect, cheap cutting tool. No other considerations, looks included.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 15
i knew i came to the right place!

any blade 3.5 inches or more is considered dangerous in my state. i wonder what the blade length of the cent3 is. they probably count the shapened top of the blade as well.

the cent3 can be carried tip up or down.

i will be doing some slicing with it, probably cheese and fruit for snacks.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 15
The Centofante is 3.12" and can be carried either tip up or tip down for the right front pocket or rear left pocket. They generally measure the entire length of steel, including unsharpened edge/tang. The Delica 4 can be carried in any pocket/tip combination. I think all Delicas are hollow saber grinds, not flat. The price of the two knives are practically identical.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 15
how do the different grinds work? also, does "stone washed" finish do anything but hide scratches on the steele?

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #9 of 15
Delica's (and Endura's) grind was switched to flat-sabre during the previous revision when they switched over to VG-10 steel, though some VG-10 models were still made with flat-sabre grind. I have one with hollow ground blade (ATS-55 steel) and one with flat-sabre (VG-10). The current revision is made with flat-sabre grind. Centofante is hollow ground.

Oh, and speaking from experience, those textured handle (and pocket clip) can be a killer on pockets, especially if you actually carry and use the knife everyday.

Is there anywhere you can handle both models? It's always a good idea to handle them personally to see if you actually like the knife. Native, one of the most popular Spyderco models among both avid and regular customers, is one model I don't like due to the fact that it does not feel right in my hand at all. I bought it blindly and have since sold it.

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 15
Hm you're right, I wonder which forum I read saying that the delica 4 was hollow.

One more thing to consider is that the Centofante 3, in addition to being hollow ground, is only 2mm in blade width, while the delica is 2.5mm vs. a typical 3mm+ on most quality blades. Makes the Centofante 3 the better slicer. So if slicing is your game, looks like the Cento 3 is the way to go, but otherwise...

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Hm you're right, I wonder which forum I read saying that the delica 4 was hollow.

One more thing to consider is that the Centofante 3, in addition to being hollow ground, is only 2mm in blade width, while the delica is 2.5mm vs. a typical 3mm+ on most quality blades. Makes the Centofante 3 the better slicer. So if slicing is your game, looks like the Cento 3 is the way to go, but otherwise...

well i won't be opening any paint cans with it.

i checked around and only the delica is available locally.

i saw also there are stainless smooth-handle delicas. maybe that would be easier on the pocket?

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 15
The Centofante is a somewhat rare bird, from what I can gather, for brick and mortar shops. I had to special order mine. Plenty available on the net, though.

The stainless steel delicas, sure, easier on the pocket, but they're very heavy...like a hunk of steel hanging on your pocket.

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The stainless steel delicas, sure, easier on the pocket, but they're very heavy...like a hunk of steel hanging on your pocket.

And they'll dig into your hand when you really need to get a good grip on them since the handle is thinner than the FRN models to cut down on the weight. They look nice, are engravable, but not really that functional, IMO.

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #15 of 15
thanks everyone, i got the centofante 3 and it is very nice.

it'a great to have a kife like this handy to cut and open things. the knife is also very handsome and fits well in the hand. the locking mechanism is rock solid, and the blade can cut wafer thin slices in a carrot (i was feeding my ig). it also carried very well in the pocket, front or back. it is very slim and well built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back