Sportapro flutter/Thanks Macdef
May 29, 2002 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tbonner1

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks so much Macdef for your superb reviews, they are right on the money. I have had numerous headphones since 1975 back when I had Stax SRX's and the Koss ESP-9's. They both sounded too etched and lacked bass impact compared to my Dahlquist DQ-10's and I rarely listened to them.

Today I love the quest for high value components so I can manage my addiction affordably. I have decided if I cannot return an item I will not purchase it as I have been stuck with mediocre sounding items after rave reviews. I got some KSC-50's after Macdef reviewed the KSC-35's so well. Thery were exactly as he reviewed them, slightly loose fitting with less bass than the Sportapro. The treble seems a bit harsh but can be easily tamed with a smooth sounding extension cable.

I had three different pairs of brand new Sportapro's and each one exhibited the "flutter" described in the review at Goodcans.com here:

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/porta.htm

This sound is clearly shown in female vocals(Diane Krall or Tori Amos) and turns their pure voice into a slight warble. Has anyone else noticed this flutter?

May 29, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 3
tbonner1, glad the review helped you find headphones you're happy with!

P.S. I haven't experienced the "flutter" on any of my Koss; perhaps it's a production thing?

May 29, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

I haven't experienced the "flutter" on any of my Koss

Me neither too, hhmmmh!
biggrin.gif

(with my Sportapro's, that is). Diane sounds OK. Tori always has a bit of "flutter' to her vocals. Even punchier stuff like Gwen Stefani or Shirley Manson sound good on them. Granted these are not the most accurate in the mid-range cans. But they are alot of fun though.

Maybe it is a production thing? Maybe it's a source thing? Maybe your ears are beter than mine? Who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back